First snow?

Ran back from Thurrock this morning, got to around Oakham before it starting sleeting then the winds picked up. Did not like getting blown across the carrage way 4 times. Only had bagels on board so no weight! Also hit 0’C according to the dash temp gauge. Winter has arrived folks.

Wondered why I couldn’t seem to get the trailer backed into the Edinburgh depot until I got out the cab and nearly fell on my @r5e and I wasn’t the only one to nearly got stuck on ice leaving the Cairn Lodge.

Went up the A9 last nite that was fun.Just turned to pure ice and it was just as bad on the A95 aswell.The wind last nite was bad also up north trying keep in your lane on the ice with traffic not fun.

Minus one in Staffordshire this morning and a flurry of snow on my car… :open_mouth:

Can anyone figure out why I purposefully don’t do nights out? :wink: Hard to phone in sick when you already at work when you wake up, in some god forbidden snowbound layby… :blush:

chicane:
Wondered why I couldn’t seem to get the trailer backed into the Edinburgh depot until I got out the cab and nearly fell on my @r5e and I wasn’t the only one to nearly got stuck on ice leaving the Cairn Lodge.

Me too :laughing: Was wondering what the Fox’s biscuits was going on as I spent a minute or two slipping my way across the carriageway.

Also spent half an hour freezing my nads off in it as the sleet hit me sideways at quarter past daft this morning.

A.

LIBERTY_GUY:
Can anyone figure out why I purposefully don’t do nights out?

Is it coz you’re a puff?

snow? it was still averaging 17 degrees down here all last week, and still most of next week.

I guess the snow tracked a lot further west of where they thought it was going to. I ended up going to Lockerbie last night and I was supposed to be driving through snow all the way back as my return journey was 01:30-05:30 plus half an hour in the yard fuelling up etc and the main bulk was supposed to drop on Scotland, the North East, North Yorkshire and East Yorkshire.

It started snowing whilst I was at Lockerbie but nothing too bad and wasn’t settling. On the way down the M6 was down to one lane open from Carlisle to Penrith, from Penrith to Barnard Castle over the A66 it was down to two tracks in the snow.

Wasn’t too bad until we got to a dip on a single carriageway section near Warcop barracks where some fanny who should park up from the end of October to March had decide to ponce about going down the dip and got himself stuck on the hill on the way out so we all had to wait until the gritter came to help him unfanny himself. Unfortunately as those who do this route know it was a blind crest so no just driving round him and leaving him to his incompetence. Going over the top of the A66 was real fun in a trailer with just empty pallets on in that wind last night as was driving the last 30 miles from the A1 to base at Howden. Once down to Barnard Castle and definitely by Scotch Corner it was just wet, no snow. Saw some muppets going over the Ouse bridge despite the signs telling all high sided vehicles to use the diversion. Bet there were a few pucker moments for those drivers as its not at the top where it hits you but about a third of the way down.

Radar19:
Ran back from Thurrock this morning, got to around Oakham before it starting sleeting then the winds picked up. Did not like getting blown across the carrage way 4 times. Only had bagels on board so no weight! Also hit 0’C according to the dash temp gauge. Winter has arrived folks.

Early. Never had Snow in November

commonrail:

LIBERTY_GUY:

Is it coz you’re a puff?

Nah, its cause I aint dumb enough to be an unpaid security guard… :confused:

LIBERTY_GUY:

commonrail:

LIBERTY_GUY:

Is it coz you’re a puff?

Nah, its cause I aint hard enough to be an unpaid security guard… :confused:

Ftfy

I was coming up the M40 this morning at about 6am and it was proper blizzarding it down. Only briefly though.

commonrail:

LIBERTY_GUY:

commonrail:

LIBERTY_GUY:

Is it coz you’re a puff?

Nah, its cause I aint hard enough to be an unpaid security guard… :confused:

Ftfy

No good doing the macho male bit bud, as we all know most HGV drivers crawl up their own backsides when the spotty faced kid in the traffic office tells them to do something.

Terry T:
I was coming up the M40 this morning at about 6am and it was proper blizzarding it down. Only briefly though.

Couple of flakes then :unamused:
Blizzards don"t come down,they go all ways.Did you have to put the front fogs on ,to see the marker poles ?

LIBERTY_GUY:
Hard to phone in sick when you already at work when you wake up, in some god forbidden snowbound layby… :blush:

Few years ago when I was on for Stobarts I ended up stuck near the top of the A1 and in a lay by. I pulled into particular layby because there was a space and loads of snow and warnings of A1 ahead closed!! I was there nearly 2 days with a high value load on and got paid while parked up, can’t remember now if it was for 8 or 10 hours but it was a while ago.

To be honest it was quite good because there were 4 of us altogether parked very well in the circumstances and we had a good day. No traffic passing at all, bit of food swapping and then a bit of beer when we knew we weren’t on the move :laughing: :laughing:

Pah! Try that crappy road from M6 J37 to Sedbergh , then that even crappier road to Dent, then that even crappier CRAPPIER road past Deepdale that takes you down to Thornton-in-Whatsitsname. My sphyncter’s still twitching…

Immigrant:
…Never had Snow in November

But we do have Christmas, and plenty of it!

Suedehead:
Blizzards don"t come down,they go all ways

We got Michael Fish in the house. Any chance of a Hurricane tomorrow mate :smiley:

I thought they’d have shut the A66 overnight with the slightest sign of a flake or two combined with more than 5mph wind - always did when I lived in Penrith (think they broke the “A66 closed” sign eventually). I guess the blind summit is the one after the dual carriageway when it goes around a bend too making overtaking doubly tricky?

Nick - you seriously took a truck from the M6 J37 to Sedbergh road in the snow!? Done it once in a car the other way towards Kendal (never ever again), but wouldn’t think a truck would even get up the hill towards Sedbergh. Think I’d classify that as “road closed” if you can see snow by the motorway and go down to Killington Lake services until you worked out a new route…then “oops, can’t get out the car park”. :slight_smile:

It’s getting so cold now I’m gonna have to stop wearing me shorts and dig my jeans out.
Sorry to disappoint the ladies :sunglasses: :smiley:

Rob i would also change into boots as well mate, those flip - flops sure make your feet cold. :smiley: