English and proud

I dont know if this should be here or not but…sorry if it is in the wrong place…
Got flicking through the tv channels yesterday, and found the Royal Tatoo, at Windsor castle…now im not exactly a royalist, and i wouldnt write down what i think of the royal family..but when i watched the pageantry..all the brightly coloured uniforms..the soldiers who had just returned from duty..and the bands of the blues and royals..and then they went into the songs Jerusalem Abide with me..and then as they topped it off with what should be our national anthem..Land of Hope and Glory`…i started to cry…silly old sod (good job the wife had popped across the road)…just made me feel so proud to be English…and i think theres no greater show on earth, and no one else can do it like us…

I haven’t got much more to add to that young man except to say I agree wholeheartedly with everything youv’e said.I thought that I was the only one to get misty eyed over Land of Hope and Glory.What other country has got the pomp etc that we have.No surrender! Death before Dishonour. :laughing: :laughing:

Despite all it’s faults,as soon as a ‘national anthem’ type tune is played,we forget all that is bad about this country,and we seem to swell with pride.

But why don’t we celebrate our patron saint,like the Irish and Welsh?

Ken.

We have a gaggle of Brits out here in the desert, I’m sure we are far more patriotic when we get together than if we were in the UK.

Although it’s very unusual to hear an American moaning about our country on the rare occasion it happens I will be the first to put our side across…and I never lost an arguement yet :unamused:

…and you will always see me celebrating St. Georges day with my Union Jack and wearing my hi-viz vest…

and you will always see me celebrating St. Georges day with my Union Jack

Not wishing to be pedantic,but why not a George cross?

Ken.

Right on Quinny. I’m English, not British. :slight_smile:

Quinny:

and you will always see me celebrating St. Georges day with my Union Jack

Not wishing to be pedantic,but why not a George cross?

Ken.

I do have one of those too

We here in QUEENSLAND, have a public holiday on the 9th of June to celebrate the Queens birthday. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Do you in the U.K. have the same holiday now or would it offend some people. ? :confused:

Im with you lads got a flag flying in my garden proud to be English
and remember " All gave some some gave all "
ps Albert Hall and the proms Truckyboy you would need a bucket. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

English till i Die. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Quinny:
Despite all it’s faults,as soon as a ‘national anthem’ type tune is played,we forget all that is bad about this country,and we seem to swell with pride.

But why don’t we celebrate our patron saint,like the Irish and Welsh?

Ken.

Ayup Ken,in Morley(center of universe) there was a great St.Georges day parade,with a Dragon slaying and everything,a good day for all,maybe you should lookout for next years. cheers Joe.

Always wondered if the people who immigrated into England feel as proud.Not the current crop from europe but the ones from the seventies,Ugandan Asians and all those that came from the West Indies.Do they feel like England is home.

Been in the US 23 yrs now.Took me a very long time to become pro American,but now find myself becoming quite defensive when people start slagging off America.Still love England off course and the Queen :smiley:

Yes, I am proud to be English, but feel very French too and take part in ceremonies here like Armistice and Victory Europe days. The head of the Ancien Combatants (old soldiers, like the British Legion) always introduces me to newbies as ‘notre ami fidele’ (our faithful friend). I get misty eyed at all National Anthems (except that awful ‘Queen’ dirge, I have been a staunch republican since a child when first able to think for myself)) and sing La Marseillaise with vigor. There are 2 small flags in my living room, put out singly or together according to the occasion - the Cross of St. George and the Tricolour.

Not wishing to sound anti France,because I’m not.I have great affection for the country.However I must relate un petit histoire.Some years ago I found myself in Bordeaux on VE day.Big parade Bands and all.Standing there talking to another driver when we were spoken to by a local.We asked him what was the occasion.He answered “We are celebrating Our glorious defeat against the Boche”.To which this driver replied “It wasn’t your victory.It was ours.The moment the Germans came over the Rhine you all gave in”.Cruel or what.

charlie one:
Not wishing to sound anti France,because I’m not.I have great affection for the country.However I must relate un petit histoire.Some years ago I found myself in Bordeaux on VE day.Big parade Bands and all.Standing there talking to another driver when we were spoken to by a local.We asked him what was the occasion.He answered “We are celebrating Our glorious defeat against the Boche”.To which this driver replied “It wasn’t your victory.It was ours.The moment the Germans came over the Rhine you all gave in”.Cruel or what.

Cruel, definitely, and inaccurate. The French didn’t all give in, the national army fell before overwhelming force as would the British at the same time without the protection of the Channel, but many ordinary people fought on throughout the war putting both themselves and their communities at risk and many did not survive. I am proud to know personally some of those few left who did.
The victory celebrated in France on May the 8th may not have been possible or at least delayed and certainly at a cost of more Allied lives had not the Resistance prepared the way with sabotage before, and assistance after, the D-Day invasion.

truckyboy:
I dont know if this should be here or not but…sorry if it is in the wrong place…
Got flicking through the tv channels yesterday, and found the Royal Tatoo, at Windsor castle…now im not exactly a royalist, and i wouldnt write down what i think of the royal family..but when i watched the pageantry..all the brightly coloured uniforms..the soldiers who had just returned from duty..and the bands of the blues and royals..and then they went into the songs Jerusalem Abide with me..and then as they topped it off with what should be our national anthem..Land of Hope and Glory`…i started to cry…silly old sod (good job the wife had popped across the road)…just made me feel so proud to be English…and i think theres no greater show on earth, and no one else can do it like us…

On Sunday 11th,as a former Household Cavalryman,(Armoured),I took part in our annual Combined Cavalry Parade in Hyde Park,with Prince Harry in our ranks.As each regiment marches past the saluting base,(the salute taken by Prince Charles this year),the bands of the Household Cavalry break into your regimental march,and several hundred old soldiers suddenly grow 3 inches taller and chests are thrust out in pride,I’m honoured to be part of this.
Shortly after,many of us attend a memorial service at the Hyde Park memorial where the 4 lads were murdered along with their horses by the IRA in 1982.I served with these men.As Secretary of our local Branch Association,I along with others,lay a wreath on the memorial.As we do this,the bands of The Household Cavalry play,“Abide with me”,while 4 State trumpeters stand behind the memorial and play the,“Last post”.
Over 200 people there,and not a dry eye.
Am I proud ?You’d better believe it!