Wearing the Poppy with pride

Great respect to both the Scottish and English football teams for defying those spineless ■■■■■■■ at FIFA and wearing their Poppies with pride for the match ! Zero respect for the Welsh and Northern Irish FA’s for “bottling it”, how many 000’s of Welshmen and Northern Irishmen lost their lives fighting for their Country in both World wars and conflicts since those times ! Absolutely disgraceful. :blush: :blush: :blush: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: Bewick.

Totally in agreement with you Dennis.wear your poppy with pride everyone for goodness sake its one day a year.

Also in total agreement , I never miss battle of britain day or poppy day . I was born in 1942 , what would my future have held if not for those brave men and women . Dave

Bewick:
Great respect to both the Scottish and English football teams for defying those spineless [zb] at FIFA and wearing their Poppies with pride for the match ! Zero respect for the Welsh and Northern Irish FA’s for “bottling it”, how many 000’s of Welshmen and Northern Irishmen lost their lives fighting for their Country in both World wars and conflicts since those times ! Absolutely disgraceful. :blush: :blush: :blush: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: Bewick.

Totally agree Dennis

I was born in 1950 and lived in a small Scottish fishing village in the North. I grew up amongst those who had lost limbs and others who had equally harrowing tales from all theatres of WW1 and WW11.
We must never take our freedom for granted. The cost was too high.
Thank you for this thread - it is a small gesture, but an important reminder of what we owe.
Jim.

I am Welsh and proud but today I am gutted by the Welsh footballers cowardly gutless ■■■■■■■■ they wouldn’t be year if it wasn’t for our wonderfull old forces who gave their lives for us shame on them and hope they lose no excuses no Fifa no butts regards rowley ward

The big question and issue is what was the actual reasoning given for the instruction not to wear them. :open_mouth: :confused:

^^^

imageshotfrogca.blob.core.window … _image.jpg

and

i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjAwWDgwMA==/ … o/$_32.JPG

Respect.
Oily

Bewick:
Great respect to both the Scottish and English football teams for defying those spineless [zb] at FIFA and wearing their Poppies with pride for the match ! Zero respect for the Welsh and Northern Irish FA’s for “bottling it”, how many 000’s of Welshmen and Northern Irishmen lost their lives fighting for their Country in both World wars and conflicts since those times ! Absolutely disgraceful. :blush: :blush: :blush: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: Bewick.

+1 fully agree with you,though in northern ireland then the catholics that bother about it see the poppy as a british/english/proddy symbol that says up yours paddy,hence a bit more of a meaning over here as we dont have the same non pink swarm of pondlife over here…were still 30 years behind in that respect,though the gap is closing fast.the decent respectable ones on both sides here have no issues with poppys,but you woulnt walk into the wrong pub wearing one in the catholic areas…in eire,then nobody really gives a toss about much either way unless you really go looking for it,whereas in the north its in your face in a lot of places.

Carryfast:
The big question and issue is what was the actual reasoning given for the instruction not to wear them. :open_mouth: :confused:

I’m surprised at you “CF”, for once you are ■■■■■■ for an explanation my Son ! However, the way I see it is FIFA is based in Switzerland and lets face it they did more for Hitler and the Nazis during the last war than us and probably still have what will now be billions worth of ■■■■ Gold still held in their vaults ! Plus most of the other ruling class at FIFA are assorted apologists and chickens who have always surrendered without a fight i.e. Frogs and Ities :blush: Whereas our lads and our staunch allies from the Empire (at the time) took no ■■■■■ from anyone and it is they who we should never forget together with the price thousands of them paid with their lives. There’s a saying if I can quote it correctly " They gave their tomorrow so we could have our to-day" and we should never forget that which I know probably every one on the TN site would agree with. So the spineless ■■■■■■■ Welsh and N. Ireland FA’s should hang their heads in shame so they should ! Bewick.

For the last twenty-five years of my working life I drove a lorry for a government department. About five years before I retired, a directive was issued from HQ that, in order not to offend ‘other faiths’ we frequently encountered, we were not to wear poppies or display any poppy-related emblems on our lorries.

I went out and bought the biggest lorry poppy I could find for my radiator grille, and the biggest poppy I could comfortably wear on my shirt. Soon, others followed suit - we were the only ten drivers employed by this particular department - and in the following years no-one was ever offended and management quietly ‘forgot’ about the directive!

Steve

I’ve noticed a lot of familys say their relatives never talk about what happend when they were involved.I’ve just read a book called Voices from the Explosion who relate to the Fauld disaster so what it must have been like fighting in all of the wars never mind the second world war must have been terrible.A book worth reading even if you don’t live locally. I often think about these chaps who were on the Merchent Ships, a bit different than container transport.
I suppose we all like watching films like the Dambusters and the Great Escape------But

Check out what the Polish did for us,they were the biggest pilots 2nd to us so don’t knock them when they want to wash your car in the cold weather.THEY ARE NOT FRIGHTENED OF WORK SO BUY A POPPY

Tony

Bewick:

Carryfast:

I’m surprised at you “CF”, for once you are [zb] for an explanation my Son ! However, the way I see it is FIFA is based in Switzerland and lets face it they did more for Hitler and the Nazis during the last war than us and probably still have what will now be billions worth of ■■■■ Gold still held in their vaults ! Plus most of the other ruling class at FIFA are assorted apologists and chickens who have always surrendered without a fight i.e. Frogs and Ities :blush: Whereas our lads and our staunch allies from the Empire (at the time) took no [zb] from anyone and it is they who we should never forget together with the price thousands of them paid with their lives. There’s a saying if I can quote it correctly " They gave their tomorrow so we could have our to-day" and we should never forget that which I know probably every one on the TN site would agree with. So the spineless [zb] Welsh and N. Ireland FA’s should hang their heads in shame so they should ! Bewick.

The news just said they view it as a ‘political’ thing which is obviously bollox.As for the reasons behind it all who knows.Although historic friction,among different factions closer to home,which by now should have been forgotten,rather than the Swiss giving a zb either way,might explain it. :confused:

My great grandfather was killed at the Somme-no war grave unfortunately as his body was never found.
My grandfather was a Chief Petty Officer in the Royal Navy ,he was at Dunkirk (his ship evacuated over 4000 allied troops during operation Dynamo) and on the Atlantic convoys,and took part in D day, very proud of them both.
Always get a lump in my throat at the two minutes silence.
I always buy a wrist band rather than a poppy so I’ve always got it on during the rememberance period.

Carryfast:

irrespective of what the reason is,then you just know its because the ethnic majority now running Britain don’t want them displayed in case it offends the ethnic minority queueing up to invade Britain…it would be laughable if it wasn’t so sad and true…don’t put up xmas trees in case it offends muslims…what do you get in the big shopping mall In Dubai at xmas?..a 90 foor xmas tree…

Screen-Shot-2014-11-07-at-6.36.33-PM.png

We have three of the Gardman Poppy bird feeders in the garden this year. For those who have not seen them they are a replica of the Tower of London Poppies. The manufacturer contributes a set fee to the RBL for each sold. Apparently demand has been such that they are now in very short supply at garden centres with none being available until early next year.

My Late Father never agreed with the wearing of Poppies reasoning that he was trying to forget the War and those who ‘spouted off’ about it all the time must have had a far better war than he did otherwise they wouldn’t want to be reminded of it every year. :confused: He wouldn’t join the British Legion for the same reason, but he did attend either an Alamein or Tobruk Reunion once but never again for much the same reason. I wear a Poppy though, but then I never went through what he did so obviously can’t understand.

Pete.