Edgar Waine and his Foden tipper

Here’s a picture of Edgar Waine’s Foden tipper that he used around Brum I understand ?
Imgur

I’m sure I caught a glimpse of a magazine article saying that he had died and the wagon was going to be restored?

Apparently he kept it running 'til fairly recently? and had tons of spares including engines and axles etc??

Any of you guys know of this guy, know anymore about him and where the lorry is now?

Hello fryske, ive got a mid 80’s TRUCK magazine with an article about him and that old Foden, i’ll try my best to find it soon, and scan up the pages on this post ( may take a while, with the house being re-pode my belongings are scattered far and wide!!) :frowning: :wink:

Thats a nice old Foden, remember a few like that from when I was a kid.

STRAIGHT EIGHT:
Hello fryske, ive got a mid 80’s TRUCK magazine with an article about him and that old Foden, i’ll try my best to find it soon, and scan up the pages on this post ( may take a while, with the house being re-pode my belongings are scattered far and wide!!) :frowning: :wink:

cheers - at your leisure though -!

An interesting photo Fryske, surely that nearside quaterlight and certainly the mirror were not original, but does anybody think he got it off a Bristol?

Spardo:
An interesting photo Fryske, surely that nearside quaterlight and certainly the mirror were not original, but does anybody think he got it off a Bristol?

i suspect it was like Triggers broom

I recall from the article I saw (only in the last 5 years - I suspect when he died) that he had fitted air assisted power steering and when asked how long he would keep using he said -“when I’ve used up all the spare engines and axles that I have”!

I’ve got a feeling it lasted until the early 90’s??

It’s still taxed so someone has it!

STRAIGHT EIGHT:

This may be the photo from that article STRAIGHT EIGHT. Ready for work. :smiley:

Might be wrong on this guys, but seem to remember hearing somewhere that the Foden is with SE Davis who are a big earthmoving/groundworks company from Redditch or thereabouts.

They have quite a collection of vintage earthmoving gear and I think are intending to sympathetically restore the Foden.

Cheers
Mark

roadcommander2:
Might be wrong on this guys, but seem to remember hearing somewhere that the Foden is with SE Davis who are a big earthmoving/groundworks company from Redditch or thereabouts.

They have quite a collection of vintage earthmoving gear and I think are intending to sympathetically restore the Foden.

Cheers
Mark

cheers Mark

Their website shows it arriving at their site

It said the wagon retired in 1992!! Edgar must’ve been quite a guy to operate that thing up til then!

I’ve emailed the firm to ask if it’s going to be displayed this year

roadcommander2:

Bet they don’t restore it to the state it was in in that second picture. Obviously an earlier one before Edgar modified his nearside double quarterlight/kerbside window to the large Bristol(?) type one.
I do appreciate pictures of working trucks doing just that - working. Maybe a touch of laziness but I have never felt the need to tart up a wagon and generally don’t like the look of those that are.

Spardo:

roadcommander2:

Bet they don’t restore it to the state it was in in that second picture. Obviously an earlier one before Edgar modified his nearside double quarterlight/kerbside window to the large Bristol(?) type one.
I do appreciate pictures of working trucks doing just that - working. Maybe a touch of laziness but I have never felt the need to tart up a wagon and generally don’t like the look of those that are.

nothing worse than an overrestored wagon

There’s one of Syd Harrisons old Scammell Highwayman units on the rally scene now – pity it’s not in Harrisons red with all his modifications - would certainly be an authentic lorry

fryske:
Here’s a picture of Edgar Waine’s Foden tipper that he used around Brum I understand ?
All sizes | Foden FG Tipper | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I’m sure I caught a glimpse of a magazine article saying that he had died and the wagon was going to be restored?

Apparently he kept it running 'til fairly recently? and had tons of spares including engines and axles etc??

Any of you guys know of this guy, know anymore about him and where the lorry is now?

Good testament to the man that its still running and in original but restored condition - if he’s watching up there I imagine he’s pleased.