Insulated tippers 70s style!

The F86 pictured in wimpeys Leapers Wood quarry Carnforth was mine I bought it off Jeff Anderton of Morecambe in 1981 the photo of it with m e behind the wheel turning right at the lights in Scotland rd Carnforth must be 1983 it has the reconditioned cab I put on it which came off a tractor unit hence the single headlights itwas agood truck for me .The first Volvo I had followed by another 4 until retirement I enjoy your pics Bonkey

Hi Jes, glad you like the photos though I’m afraid I can’t take credit for them. They were taken by a lad from Grassington in the early 80s and he very kindly lent me the photos to scan a while back.

Was the F86 your first wagon and if not what types did you have before? It certainly looks like you went on coated with it. :slight_smile:

PS. Have you any photos yourself? If so would you mind uploading them please? Cheers.

hammer:
Volvo F7 (CNS560X) is owned by Clwyd Ellis who are still in business today (approx. 20 trucks - still all Volvo).

BD, where was the photo taken? Looks like it could possibly be Burley Hill near Mold?

I don’t know TBH mate, there were a few other shots I have somewhere including a Constructor loading under a tar plant. The wagon’s also on a weighbridge too - Quite a novelty I guess back then?

Great pics bonkey cant get enough of insulated tippers especially fodens,reminds me of all the fleet of butlers starting up in the yard in a morning all 42 from 4 wheel commers,6 wheel albions,6 wheel aecs,8wheel fodens over 20 of them all that blue smoke being sucked in to my lungs lovely,keep em coming.

Hi Bonkey the F86 was my 2nd truck after I went self employed as a owner driver in 1979 the first was Dodge T6354 Perkins 4 wheeler it got me started but was glad to lose it (I nearly put wingnuts on the engine we worked on that much).Before that Iwas a employed driver from 1965 one of them who never took atest Grandfather rights alot of the younger lads I used to work with said it was just as well as I wouldnt have passed! My reply was ive done more miles backing up to Barber Greens! Before i wasold enough to go on the road Idrove the old quarry trucks in the quarries in our area we had 5 quarries then now down to 3 but only run by 2 firms glad Ive retired .I had a good education on the quarry trucks some were old ex road trucks and some were purpose builtfor the job ie: Euclid ,Foden, Aveling etc but some of the others were not even fit for the quarry let alone the road ,no elf and safety then .But I got to drive some classics one a 8 wheel Foden ,wooden cab usedto make you concentrate as the pedals were configured clutch ,accelerator,brake try and remember that in an emergency !My all time favourite was bonneted (Parrot nose ) Briggs cab Dodge Im not aDodge fan but Iliked that model (maybe summat to do with Hell driver film). Yes I carted c oated most of the time for several years the M6 was my bread and butter I do have some photos not many but I will have to get the grandchildren to load them as I cant drive a laptop.By the way my last 16 years I was on contract with your favourite firm Tarmac.

Come on jes get them photos on mate.Served my time for a manchester based tipper firm from 1962/68 on the Dodge (parrot nose) and the D308 series most were fitted with the perkins P6 or the 6.354 engine although my old man had a D309(10 stud wheels) with the Leyland 370 in it .Then the tilt cab series came out around 1966 D reg with the ■■■■■■■ engine.Great days.

S W Brisbane of Knighton Radnorshire fleet,seen in the 1970’s,not many of these were insulated.

1979 Seddon Atkinson driven by John Cross.

1983 Daf pictured with the driver John Cross.

David Richards in Ivor Duggan’s Volvo F7.

Sharples Foden with driver Tom Williams.

ford d ,lol…if thats a 1614 it will be a flyer…learned on a 2014 ,6x4 d series n reg wi the unbrella handbrake … hehe .used to reverse up some hills when loaded up especialy when running grit up to eskdalemuir in sw scotland… jimmy.

Some memories there Dave with your photos those old Dodges in the front row were the model I had it still makes me shudder seeing one in my case it was usually with the cab tilted ! The Ford D1000 though when we got those after the Albion Rievers (LAD)cab we thought we were in heaven .I was driving for Wimpey Asphalt then we had 6 wheel double drive with 2speed axle the cabs were like driving a car after the Rievers but saying that they were good truck in their day were the Albions. Yes Stanfield Ill try to get my grand kidsto put the photos on I personally havent aclue how to .I think this site is great as you say happy memories lets face it these trucks were alarge part of our lives .all the best lads .

jes:
Some memories there Dave with your photos those old Dodges in the front row were the model I had it still makes me shudder seeing one in my case it was usually with the cab tilted ! The Ford D1000 though when we got those after the Albion Rievers (LAD)cab we thought we were in heaven .I was driving for Wimpey Asphalt then we had 6 wheel double drive with 2speed axle the cabs were like driving a car after the Rievers but saying that they were good truck in their day were the Albions. Yes Stanfield Ill try to get my grand kidsto put the photos on I personally havent aclue how to .I think this site is great as you say happy memories lets face it these trucks were alarge part of our lives .all the best lads .

Hi jes,
I drove the Dodge on the left at the front of Brisbanes picture a about thre years before that pic was taken.I left Brisbane’s and drove a Bedford KM for C M Philpotts of Kington.He had two D series Ford six wheelers with the same engine as the D1614 pictured,they ran at 20 ton gross and carried 13.5 payload which was good in those days for a tipper.I drove those for several periods when the regular drivers were on holiday or on the sick.The best lorry I drove in those days was a Commer Maxiload for C W Griffiths at 16 ton gross which was a good solid lorry.I had it for six months the only downside was the tare weight which was on the heavy side with an insulated body.
Good times and good wages which went up just after the HGV licence came in.
Cheers Dave.

Waiting to load sand at Chaddesden sidings for Chesterfield while doing a bit of holiday relief 1988.

The Seddon Atkinson pictured pulling out of Tarmacs plant in Clitheroe was driven by Guy Benson who in later years bought Volvos and became a OD in Tarmac colours for many years. His wagons where spotless,never rushed,but now sadly retired :confused:

tarmactipper:
The Seddon Atkinson pictured pulling out of Tarmacs plant in Clitheroe was driven by Guy Benson who in later years bought Volvos and became a OD in Tarmac colours for many years. His wagons where spotless,never rushed,but now sadly retired :confused:

You mean this one mate? Funny how in all three pics the cabs been resprayed differently.

Yes that,s the one!! Top bloke Guy, sadly in ill heatlh at the moment :frowning: You got anymore pictures of Clitheroe tippers?

tarmactipper:
Yes that,s the one!! Top bloke Guy, sadly in ill heatlh at the moment :frowning: You got anymore pictures of Clitheroe tippers?

Your mama ever told you to be careful for what you wish for? :wink: Guess not! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

!(http://i530.photobucket

)

Good pics BD. Whats the score with the badges on some of these or am I bein thick?
Theres a Dodge with a Scania badge and a D-reg Merc with RR badges on the front. :confused:

I’ve been there a couple of times (Clitheroe), well out my area though and now theres no tar plant I won’t be goin back unless I’ve ended up very, very local and thats unlikely! :smiley:

Couldn’t honestly tell you mate. I borrowed the pics to scan from a good friend that lives near Skipton.

Perhaps tarmactipper can put us in the picture?

There is a tar plant, no dry stone now!!! all the stone is rundown from Skipton rock now :unamused: 4 to 5 thousand ton of dry a day in the glory days went over the plate and maybe 2-3 thousand ton of tar, now 100 ton a day max!!! More pictures please