Insulated tippers 70s style!

All butlers tippers were insulated they used to have their own tarmac plant at holme hall quarry stainton.These 3 are having a break at finningley cafe between 1975/78.

Tilcon allowed us to carry tar on this one of ours, the hollow plank alloy body suposedley acted as insulation in those

days, It worked ok, when they poked the heat rod in while tipping on the Barbar Green it was ok. but perhaps wouldnt be allowed these days. Regards Laryy.

Probably not Larry. When Tarmac took over our quarry they came round with infrared cameras, we had to load tarmac and then park up for half an hour and then they went all around the body with the heatseeking camera. Any heat loss showed up as red and the trucks were then graded as to what they coud carry, if the results were good they were allowed to carry any black including all the mastic asphalts and very fine material mixed with glass and paper for motorways etc, but if there were any cold spots then they could carry base course and certain wearing courses. Those that were poor insulated could only cart base course. It found that a lot of the lightweight bodies didnt meet the requirements, mine was ok though so that meant even longer waiting to get loaded with the ‘fancy stuff’ that took an age to mix. :unamused:

Pete.

windrush:
Probably not Larry. When Tarmac took over our quarry they came round with infrared cameras, we had to load tarmac and then park up for half an hour and then they went all around the body with the heatseeking camera. Any heat loss showed up as red and the trucks were then graded as to what they coud carry, if the results were good they were allowed to carry any black including all the mastic asphalts and very fine material mixed with glass and paper for motorways etc, but if there were any cold spots then they could carry base course and certain wearing courses. Those that were poor insulated could only cart base course. It found that a lot of the lightweight bodies didnt meet the requirements, mine was ok though so that meant even longer waiting to get loaded with the ‘fancy stuff’ that took an age to mix. :unamused:

Pete.

We had this, lad with a 30 year old body on a 13 year old S-A had the best score of all the trucks in the quarry! :open_mouth: Some of the newer ones scored quite poorly.

IMO, carrying just base would be alright. Job tends to be quicker, less mucking about, load less likely to stick etc.

Two that hauled out of Nash Rocks quarries.

hammer:

windrush:

Pete.

We had this, lad with a 30 year old body on a 13 year old S-A had the best score of all the trucks in the quarry! :open_mouth: Some of the newer ones scored quite poorly.

IMO, carrying just base would be alright. Job tends to be quicker, less mucking about, load less likely to stick etc.

Quite agree Hammer, the extra rate for carrying wearing course was hardly worth all the hassell of loading and waiting at t’other end, and some of the stuff was awful for sticking!

Pete.

windrush:
Quite agree Hammer, the extra rate for carrying wearing course was hardly worth all the hassell of loading and waiting at t’other end, and some of the stuff was awful for sticking!

Pete.

They stopped all the different rates for coated about 5 years ago. Now there is the dry rate and the tar rate…and neither are any bloody good! :laughing:

Great photos, sure I spied a DAF 2200 :stuck_out_tongue:

That EFR seems to be really struggling to cope with whatever weight it has on.

Fantastic pics.

I have fond memories of being in some similar Seddons in my childhood.

Good pics, love the ‘Volov’ F86. :sunglasses:

Double post.

The John Lenton Foden from Bagillt reminds me of another firm from there called (I think) Bodfari.
Every other wagon on the A55 seemed to be one of theirs. :laughing:

The T R Hughes Defender in the background of one of those pictures was the subject of a video we once saw at the Long Haul Club. It showed the wagon going in & out of quarries and generally how the driver did his job.

Put bluntly, the guy drove like an absolute lunatic.

Taking blind bends on the wrong side of the road (50mph +), pulling out of junctions without stopping - it was all happening.

I’ve never seen a loaded Defender move as quickly as that one - the fuel figures must’ve been horrific - nearly as bad as the driving. The guy doing the filming initially started the session from outside the wagon, but every time he stopped to film the Atki going past, he couldn’t catch up with it again!! He then resorted to filming from the cab, and pretty quickly it was evident that it was a white-knuckle ride.

That video sounds well worth seeing Marky, is it available at all?

Volvo F7 (CNS560X) is owned by Clwyd Ellis who are still in business today (approx. 20 trucks - still all Volvo).

BD, where was the photo taken? Looks like it could possibly be Burley Hill near Mold?