EDDIE STOBARTS

I just wondered if there are any members who drive for Stobarts, and could let me know what they are like to work for ie pay and conditions etc :sunglasses:

i used to know a couple of lads who worked for stobart.they left as the money was poor and the hours where long.i don’t know what it is like now since his brother has taken control of the buisness so i’m told. :wink: give them a call and ask :wink:

A guy I know works for them, or did last time I saw him a few months ago, and he reckons it’s the best job he has ever had. He told me he wished he had gone to work for them before he did.

I dont know much about the UK work but I was at the Truckfest Haydock a couple of weeks ago and they had a recruitment tent so I went in to enquire about european work.
Although the guys there only did uk work they told me that the euro drivers were on £62.50 a day plus £27.50 night out. Not a great deal if you ask me needless to say I didnt phone the number that I was given.

Paul

Paul:
the euro drivers were on £62.50 a day plus £27.50 night out.

:open_mouth:

This is surely a joke :question:. No-one would work for that surely :exclamation:

Cheers.

Rob I think the problem is that some drivers will look at the whole £90 a day and think thats maybe not bad and thats where the companies these days manage to pay such crap rates. On a normal long haul day you would do a minimum 10hr day ( 9 driving plus a break) so the rate probally only just falls into the minimum wage bracket.

Paul

Thanks for that. I had been offered a position, so given the feedback from yourselves and other drivers I’ve spoken to, I won’t be taking the job. But if anyone is interested they are recruiting very heavily at the moment, but as has already been mentioned the pay is at the lower end of the scale unfortunately :frowning:

:open_mouth:

Yeah. If I was doing European work I’d want at least £150/day and then a minimum of £20/night out on top of that.

I still can’t understand why drivers work for that kind of money you quote. Are they off their trollies :question: :open_mouth:

Cheers.

Rob K:
:shock:

Yeah. If I was doing European work I’d want at least £150/day and then a minimum of £20/night out on top of that.

I still can’t understand why drivers work for that kind of money you quote. Are they off their trollies :question: :open_mouth:

Cheers.

Thats the problem drivers are willing to work for this sort of money because when it is all dressed up with your overtime, nights out, attendance bonus and so on, it looks good. But the bigger picture for me is when the work slows down as it inevitably does, overtime stops etc thats when the real crunch happens :confused: :frowning:

twopack:

Rob K:

Cheers.

Thats the problem drivers are willing to work for this sort of money because when it is all dressed up with your overtime, nights out, attendance bonus and so on, it looks good. But the bigger picture for me is when the work slows down as it inevitably does, overtime stops etc thats when the real crunch happens :confused: :frowning:

Yeah, I can’t believe how drivers are so easily taken in.

When it comes to the wages all you want to know is how much you’re going to see in your hand at the end of the week. Not interested in bonus’s for consumption, attendance, lack of accidents, drops, mileage, how nice you are to the customers etc. Although in comparison to many on these forums I’ve only been ‘in the business’ a relatively short amount of time, I’ve worked for plenty of these kind of companies with the bonus’s where ‘you could earn thiiiiiiiiiiiiis much’ and they never come to fruition.

All I’m interested in is how much per hour up to 8hrs, how much per hour after 8hrs, how much Saturdays, how much Sundays and what your night out rate is. If they can’t give you those simple figures without mentioning the word bonus then they’re not worth a pinch of salt.

Cheers.

GOOOD POINT :bulb: :wink: :laughing:

Rob K:

Looks like you’ll be doing UK work for quite a while then, Rob :slight_smile:
Let me know if you ever find a firm paying nearly a grand a week for doing European!!! Even the Irish boys don’t earn that!

Not the 1st time I agree with Rob!

When I was working I earned almost £100 a day in here on Teesside, No nights out, job and knock! Now I know things have got worse(some driver shortage :imp: :imp: ) ok drove a crap DAF95 but only had to drive it didnt have to live in it!! Things are looking up here on Teesside I refuse to drive for less than £7.50 plus time and half… I am getting phone calls all the time now! maybe its time I started driving again? :open_mouth: :smiling_imp:

TC:
on Teesside I refuse to drive for less than £7.50 plus time and half…

When did you come down from minimum £8/hr :question:

Cheers.

that was my 1st words in my head rob,tc always say’s no less than 8 quid per hour, :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

if 7.50 is what tc wants rob, he could go and work for our side of dhl at newcastle depot :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

but he’d need to be desperate :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Rob K:

twopack:

Rob K:

Cheers.

Yeah, I can’t believe how drivers are so easily taken in.

When it comes to the wages all you want to know is how much you’re going to see in your hand at the end of the week. Not interested in bonus’s for consumption, attendance, lack of accidents, drops, mileage, how nice you are to the customers etc. Although in comparison to many on these forums I’ve only been ‘in the business’ a relatively short amount of time, I’ve worked for plenty of these kind of companies with the bonus’s where ‘you could earn thiiiiiiiiiiiiis much’ and they never come to fruition.

All I’m interested in is how much per hour up to 8hrs, how much per hour after 8hrs, how much Saturdays, how much Sundays and what your night out rate is. If they can’t give you those simple figures without mentioning the word bonus then they’re not worth a pinch of salt.

Cheers.

exactly why most of you won’t be doing european work.
i cannot think of any company doing euro work that offers an attendance bonus, nights out are a must and if you want european work then you don’t have a choice because you cannot do it in one day.
most companies are paying either a salary or a day rate, very few pay per hour and night out money is tax free and normally above £25 per night, as rob k says ’ he wants to know what he can take home at the end of each week’ and euro work gives you that, when mr stobart driver is parked up in a french routiers/german autohof or italian ristorante for a weekend he/she will be paid exactly the same as any other day when he would be working.
european work is and always has been a swings and roundabouts industry, you get the same money if you work 4 hours that day or 14 hours, it makes no difference at all as long as you do the job, most companies offer no more money for working a bank holiday on european work because to do that would mean they are paying twice as much because when your parked up in the middle of france on one of their many bank holidays you will expect to get paid still, after all it’s not your fault the french are having a holiday on a wednesday and there is a driving restriction because of this.
when you are engaged in european work there are certain aspects that you have to accept and these are they.
i know exactly how much i take home every month and i have no complaints whatsoever, i don’t ask the boss for more money because i work good friday because i know that there will be at least 5 days of the year when i am sitting about unable to drive anywhere and either having a good time or i had a good time the night before. there will also be at least one occassion every year when i get back a day early but still get paid the same money for the weeks work and if a get back a day late i still get paid the same - swings and roundabouts but each driver to their own i suppose - personally i couldn’t stand driving the uk roads day in day out, it would drive me potty.

I have to side with Johnny on this one, Most of the jobs running over the water are salaried or as he said a day rate! The difference comes with the work, there isnt as much pressure on a driver, no one is going to take over your truck when you get out of it,

There is also less pressure on delivery times and a date is normally the only time you have. None of this parking in laybys and been refused entry to premises by a 3 quid an hour zit on legs.

Really the only booking times you have is the ferry time, where you will then get a freshly prepared meal, a shower and a bed with clean sheets.

European drivers are not worrying on a Monday if they will be home for Emmerdale on Thursday. Roads are less congested, speeds are lower AND the standard of driving is better.

Nice easy supermarket job driver? No Thanks :stuck_out_tongue:

I can only agree with Johnny and Malc on this one. Shipping tomorrow with 4 drops and 4 collections and the booking times are; 2 on Monday, 1 on Tuesday and the other 5 all have the same booking time, whenever. :smiley: :smiley:

Another thing Malc didn’t mention is the lack of silly rules dreamed up by soome idiot such as having to hand your keys over while being unloaded, not being allowed to use the toilet etc etc.

UK work no thanks, I turn UK work down nearly every week.

Shhhhhh, lads, Shhhhhh
They will all be looking for Euro work next!!

Tell it like it really is!! Leave tomorrow for Murcia and get home when the Boss is bored of keeping you the other side of the water lol
I was stuck over the other side for 8 weeks once cos every time I got near Calais, the â– â– â– â– â– â– â–  told me there was a trailer waiting for me in the park.
I am on salary as well … have never heard of a Euro driver being on hourly pay.

But thinking about it, this goes back to my post the other week about some of the crap that gets posted on here!!!

Isn’t doesn’t matter how you dress it up boys, the majority of UK companies’ drivers doing continental work are on peanuts.

Like I said before, if I was to do continental work - regardless of how nice you make it out to be - I’d still want £150/day and a decent night-out rate on top.

You boys might think it’s easier than UK work - and it may well be, but you do it every week - but continental work has always fetched higher rates than UK only haulage has until recent times. There are a whole load of different ‘rules’ in doing continental work and higher rates should reflect that.

We all know it doesn’t work like that anymore but that’s my outlook on it.

Cheers.