DVLA - fingers crossed?

I’ve managed to hold out from sending my licence to DVLA for an address change for a long time now (yeah yeah Rog and co., I don’t need the law reciting thanks) but I’ll be needing to hire in a load of vehicles in a couple of months time and they’ll require my licence in the same address as my utility bills, which is currently isn’t.

With all the horror stories of them coming back with half of the categories missed off and then refusing to reinstate them even when you provide proof I’ve been dreading sending it off. :open_mouth:

I’ve taken a few pics of it with a copy of today’s paper, clearly showing the categories and also taken several colour photocopies of the paper bit and card as well as ensuring I’ve still got my original photocopy of the pass certificate.

Anything else I can do to make sure this doesn’t go ■■■■ up, other than physically driving to Swansea and have them do it while I wait? :smiling_imp:

Useless bunch of ■■■■■ they are. :angry:

To be honest Rob, i think you’ve done all you can do i.e. take the copies etc… thats what i did when i sent off to upgrade my licence, just encase something like that happened. Cant beleive something like this happens with “new technology” can you?

Same when changing a V5 as well, i take a copy encase they screw it up (which has happened to me :unamused:)

Speaking of them loosing stuff the guy i work with had lost his digi card, so like a good boy sent off etc… nothing came, still nothing, rang them, sent out but had been lost apparently… so had to pay for another!

I wouldnt drive down to S’sea either, when i was studying down there i thought oooooo i can cut the post out here and change the log book there. Nope, they just take it off you and send it internally instead :frowning:

Rob K:
I’ve managed to hold out from sending my licence to DVLA for an address change for a long time now (yeah yeah Rog and co., I don’t need the law reciting thanks)

I don’t think this could be related to any sort of safety issue Rob, so a comment on the rights and wrongs of this does not interest me :wink: :smiley: :smiley:

I phoned DVLA and told them about you and after they looked at your posts on here, they said it would take about 10 years to process… :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Rob K:
Anything else I can do to make sure this doesn’t go ■■■■ up

Get a proper, certified photocopy done. Our local post office does them for £1 each. It’s basically a normal photocopy, but with a stamp from the PO to say that it’s a true copy of the original, rather than someone doctoring around with a photocopier to try to forge it.

Stu190:
To be honest Rob, i think you’ve done all you can do i.e. take the copies etc… thats what i did when i sent off to upgrade my licence, just encase something like that happened. Cant beleive something like this happens with “new technology” can you?

Same when changing a V5 as well, i take a copy encase they screw it up (which has happened to me :unamused:)

Speaking of them loosing stuff the guy i work with had lost his digi card, so like a good boy sent off etc… nothing came, still nothing, rang them, sent out but had been lost apparently… so had to pay for another!

I wouldnt drive down to S’sea either, when i was studying down there i thought oooooo i can cut the post out here and change the log book there. Nope, they just take it off you and send it internally instead :frowning:

The whole outfit is a complete shambles. The cynic in me says that they do it on purpose to generate more cash as they are a government office after all. :angry: Mind you, the fact it’s a government office should be enough warning of incompetency ahead … :unamused: .

I know some guys on here warned of problems getting the digi card when the licence was still in an old address and this is also another of the reasons why I’m getting it in my current address so that when I apply for the digi card it won’t go AWOL. I still enjoy doing a bit of driving now and again and most places require you to have one now so I may as well get it whilst I’ve got some spare cash in my pocket.

Don’t talk to me about V5s Stu!! I’ve been locked in a huge argument with the local constabulary and the DVLA only recently over a private plate transfer from a new car I’ve recently bought. The cops are trying to do me for having no tax because the tax disc on display didn’t match the plates, even though it’s the same vehicle :unamused: . Despite showing them the DVLA letter confirming that a plate transfer was in progress and a new tax disc was being issued, they weren’t interested. :unamused: It was a royal ■■■■ up by DVLA because they’d already completed the plate transfer for vehicle that the private plate had been transfered to, so if I’d still been using the private plate on my motor (to match the tax disc) then my Ford would be coming back as a BMW on a check :unamused: :unamused: . Thankfully the DVLA have finally now pulled their fingers out of their collective arses and now issued me with a V5 to match the original car’s plates and also a matching tax disc too, which has all now been waved up plod’s nose and he’s now happy too. :unamused:

MrFlibble:

Rob K:
Anything else I can do to make sure this doesn’t go ■■■■ up

Get a proper, certified photocopy done. Our local post office does them for £1 each. It’s basically a normal photocopy, but with a stamp from the PO to say that it’s a true copy of the original, rather than someone doctoring around with a photocopier to try to forge it.

Hmm, that sounds good in theory but my licence has been through the washer umpteen times (or at least looks like it) so I have my doubts that the local PO would stamp it as confirmation that it’s an original as it looks anything but, to be honest!

Btw, is that any PO or only “DVLA local offices” (ie. main town centre POs)?

Rob K:
The whole outfit is a complete shambles. The cynic in me says that they do it on purpose to generate more cash as they are a government office after all. :angry: Mind you, the fact it’s a government office should be enough warning of incompetency ahead … :unamused: .

Nail hit right on the head there thats just what they are purely for collecting as many pennies as poss, I have known the DVLA to have 3 yes three cars all registered to the same plate in 3 different parts of the country and all have seperate vaild tax discs. The DVLA don’t car as there getting 3 lots of cash.

Greg:
I have known the DVLA to have 3 yes three cars all registered to the same plate in 3 different parts of the country and all have seperate vaild tax discs. The DVLA don’t car as there getting 3 lots of cash.

Hmm? How does that work then? There can only be one V5 per registration and only one tax disc per V5 (replacement tax discs come with the word ‘duplicate’ written across them and the original gets cancelled).

■■?

Rob K:

Greg:
I have known the DVLA to have 3 yes three cars all registered to the same plate in 3 different parts of the country and all have seperate vaild tax discs. The DVLA don’t car as there getting 3 lots of cash.

Hmm? How does that work then? There can only be one V5 per registration and only one tax disc per V5 (replacement tax discs come with the word ‘duplicate’ written across them and the original gets cancelled).

■■?

Because there that sloppy that they issue a new V5 for each. They really don’t care, You would be amazed at there incompetence, By there own admision they are purely a way for the government to collect money, so the more the merrier.

Suppose depends on your luck, i changed my address on my licence a few months back it came back in just over a week just address changed no cats missing or anything.

On the other hand was waiting for a V5 for a vehicle that took 9 weeks and loads of phone calls.

How about having your licence checked by the DVLA?

If they tell you it is ok then pox it up, you have their word for it, that you actually have a licence etc.

http://www.fleetdirectory.co.uk/advancedcheck/

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/contactus/drivers_enquires.aspx

Wheel Nut:

If they tell you it is ok then pox it up, you have their word for it, that you actually have a licence etc.

Am I missing something here or?

Ignore this I’m talking ■■■■■■■■ as usual

Its a way for companies to check that you have the appropriate driving authorities, so if you were to do your own check and get a copy of it, they then could not miss something off your licence and say you no longer have that entitlement, as you have proof from them that you do.

Suppose its like a data check for cars, only for your licence.

Rob K:

Wheel Nut:

Am I missing something here or?

http://www.licencedata.com/

As far as I know it allows companies to check future employees for bans, points, classes held and address checks. You already know that is wrong.

Rob K:
Hmm, that sounds good in theory but my licence has been through the washer umpteen times (or at least looks like it) so I have my doubts that the local PO would stamp it as confirmation that it’s an original as it looks anything but, to be honest!

Well, you never know until you try… :wink:

Rob K:
Btw, is that any PO or only “DVLA local offices” (ie. main town centre POs)?

No idea. It might just be my local PO trying to make a bit of extra money on the side. It’s not a “main” central PO - it’s in the back of the Co-Op, but it’s not exactly an “in-the-middle-of-nowhere one-man-band” one either - e.g. they’ve got 3 or 4 counters open at lunchtime.

PS: I don’t think that “DVLA local offices” are the same as “main town centre POs”. Our DVLA local office is just that - it’s an office on a trading estate, and only deals with DVLA stuff - nothing to do with the Post Office at all.

In reply to Greg and Malc - how exactly would that help?

If the DVLA won’t take a colour photocopy of your original real licence as proof, nor photocopies of the original practical and theory pass certificates, then what makes you think that they’d accept the word from some outsider as proof?

I know you are about to argue that the licence checking company are linked directly to the DVLA computer but that argument doesn’t hold water because the DVLA can see your licence number on the photocopy provided by yourself, along with all the original issue numbers which they can quite easily check for themselves on their own computer if they wanted to, so there is no reason imho to get (ie. pay for) a “copy”/proof of your own licence.

:confused:

The best idea is to send of saying you lost your license as they do not like any form of copies.
That way if it comes back minus and groups you can say you found the original :smiley:

Rob K:
I’ve managed to hold out from sending my licence to DVLA for an address change for a long time now (yeah yeah Rog and co., I don’t need the law reciting thanks) but I’ll be needing to hire in a load of vehicles in a couple of months time and they’ll require my licence in the same address as my utility bills, which is currently isn’t.

With all the horror stories of them coming back with half of the categories missed off and then refusing to reinstate them even when you provide proof I’ve been dreading sending it off. :open_mouth:

I’ve taken a few pics of it with a copy of today’s paper, clearly showing the categories and also taken several colour photocopies of the paper bit and card as well as ensuring I’ve still got my original photocopy of the pass certificate.

Anything else I can do to make sure this doesn’t go ■■■■ up, other than physically driving to Swansea and have them do it while I wait? :smiling_imp:

Useless bunch of [zb] they are. :angry:

Listen you said previously that the LGV test is easy peasy. If the worst come to the worst it would cost you about £70 for another test which you’ll fly through !!
But if you have all them copies it really shouldn’t be a problem :wink:

26 years an Lgv Trainer:
The best idea is to send of saying you lost your license as they do not like any form of copies.
That way if it comes back minus and groups you can say you found the original :smiley:

i’d go with "26 years an lgv trainer " rob, the rest are all stupid anyway