duty hours

Can someone tell me how many 15 hours shifts you can do in a week and how many hours can i do after that. Can i do 4X 15 hour shifts back to back in one week. Has anyone got a link that i can print off thanks adam

You can do up to six in a week if you have a 24h reduced weekly rest halfway through.

The rule is that you an reduce your rest to 9h three times between weekly rest periods.

So if you work the usual Mon-Fri or Mon-Sat routine then you can reduce it to 9h 3 times out of those 5 or 6 shifts, the remaining shifts being 13h maximum to give you a 11h rest. You can never do 4 back to back unless one of the shifts has a 3h break in it to make it count as a split daily rest.

Paul

Big ■■■■:
Can someone tell me how many 15 hours shifts you can do in a week and how many hours can i do after that. Can i do 4X 15 hour shifts back to back in one week. Has anyone got a link that i can print off thanks adam

You can take three reduced daily rests of 9hrs per week so you can do three. And after that, each daily rest must be 11hrs so that means you can do three more 13hr shifts.

Here you go - a nice printable table for the muppets.

uk-trucking.net/legal/drivinghours.asp

…and from the DoT
dft.gov.uk/pgr/freight/road/ … sgoods.pdf

BTW,not sure repton is incorrect.

The rule is that you an reduce your rest to 9h three times between weekly rest periods.

You can only reduce your daily rest three times IN A FIXED WEEK, not between weekly rest periods. You cannot take a reduced weekly rest in the middle of the week then do 3x 15hrs. A fixed week is between 00:00 Monday and finishes at 24:00 the following Sunday.

Conor:

Big ■■■■:

You can take three reduced daily rests of 9hrs per week so you can do three. And after that, each daily rest must be 11hrs so that means you can do three more 13hr shifts.

…and from the DoT

You can only reduce your daily rest three times IN A FIXED WEEK, not between weekly rest periods. You cannot take a reduced weekly rest in the middle of the week then do 3x 15hrs. A fixed week is between 00:00 Monday and finishes at 24:00 the following Sunday.

Sorry to have wind you up pal but i have just got a new job where i will be working to my max hours and just wanted to check a few things out it has been a few years since i worked to my max so i am sorry to sound like a muppet

I max out most week…

Week 1,Mon to Sat 3x15 then 3x13 with a reduced weekly rest,followed by…

Week 2,Mon to Sat 3x15 then 2x13 with weekly rest PLUS payback for reduced rest last weekend, :open_mouth:

Hope this helps mate :slight_smile:

A driver may reduce his daily rest period to no less than 9 continuous hours, but this can be done no more than three times between any two weekly rest periods,

As said above not in the fixed week!

Conor:

How come:

Example:

Sunday - finished 45 hours weekly rest
Mon - 9 hrs reduced daily rest
Tue 9 hrs reduced daily rest
Wed 9 hrs reduced daily rest
Thu 11 hrs daily rest
Fri 24 hrs reduced weekly rest
Sat 9 hrs reduced daily rest
Sun 9 hrs reduced daily rest
Mon 9 hrs reduced daily rest
Tue 11 hrs rest
Wed 11 hrs rest
Thu start 45 hrs weekly rest

What is wrong with that? You have complied with the weekly rest requiremens (both reduced and full) and have taken 3 reduced daily rests between two weekly rests yet managed to do 5 reduced daily rests in the fixed week?

Conor:

Three reduced daily rest periods allowed BETWEEN WEEKLY REST PERIODS.

Conor:
…and from the DoT

Three reduced daily rest periods allowed BETWEEN WEEKLY REST PERIODS.

The printable table for muppets you refer to above is exactly that, i’d rip it up if i was you !!! Start afresh !!!

Conor:

No, what I said was correct. You can reduce your daily rest to 9h three times between weekly rest periods. It is nothing to do with a fixed week. The first link you posted above is wrong about it. The second link to the PDF has it correct.

Paul

No probs hence the “not sure”. I know that the DirectGov website was 2 years behind with the last lot of hours changes and still showing the old rules in their PDFs hence being more biased towards the industry sites which are usually up to date.

Conor:
hence being more biased towards the industry sites which are usually up to date.

In this case that uk-trucking site is way out of date. That link still talks about splitting your 45 into three 15min chunks, the fact that the minimum weekly west differs depending on whether you’re at your base or not and the old version of a split daily rest that allowed you to work 16h shifts. That lot changed a long time ago now (3 years perhaps? I can’t remember to be sure.)

Paul

me personally would be a bit concerned if i got a job and was told i would HAVE to do max shifts every week and had to come on here asking if i could 4 x 15 hour shifts. now a lot of us do max shifts but is that through choice or cos we have to, i know i work to my delivery times and what suits me, sometimes i do my maximum hours and sometimes i dont. i know when i was at freightliner and getting forced into max hours every week i found it very oppressive and draining. dont get me wrong im on salary now and a couple of times a week i have 2 do 15 to get boxes swapped on the quay and about once a week i dont even bother setting my alarm for the morning.

i just find it worrying that your being told your going to have to do 3 x 15 and a split rest a week.

repton:

Conor:
hence being more biased towards the industry sites which are usually up to date.

In this case that uk-trucking site is way out of date. That link still talks about splitting your 45 into three 15min chunks, the fact that the minimum weekly west differs depending on whether you’re at your base or not and the old version of a split daily rest that allowed you to work 16h shifts. That lot changed a long time ago now (3 years perhaps? I can’t remember to be sure.)

11th April 2007.

It is possible to work 15 hours shifts every day you work.

First three are normal reduced daily rests as previously suggested. The other days you would need to have a three hour rest break during your shift and complete the 24 hours with a nine hour daily rest, total 12 hours split break. These can be done as often as you are able to take the three hour rest during the shift.

It is therefore possible to do 6 x 15hrs shifts in the first week with a reduced weekly break then follow that with 5 x 15 hrs shifts in the 2nd week, have a full weekly rest and payback the reduction in weekly break for the previous weekend.

The same 2 week cycle can then be undertaken again.

As I drive for a company moving shipping containers it is not uncommon to find myself parked up for several hours at a time so can take advantage of the split break. As a tramper I might as well earn as much as I can if I am staying out all week. However, too many of these working weeks will take their toll, so I would suggest the occasional use of these split breaks may be fine but to work every week this way would eventually catch up with you.

jessicas dad:
me personally would be a bit concerned if i got a job and was told i would HAVE to do max shifts every week and had to come on here asking if i could 4 x 15 hour shifts. now a lot of us do max shifts but is that through choice or cos we have to, i know i work to my delivery times and what suits me, sometimes i do my maximum hours and sometimes i dont. i know when i was at freightliner and getting forced into max hours every week i found it very oppressive and draining. dont get me wrong im on salary now and a couple of times a week i have 2 do 15 to get boxes swapped on the quay and about once a week i dont even bother setting my alarm for the morning.

i just find it worrying that your being told your going to have to do 3 x 15 and a split rest a week.

I have not been told i will have to work to my max i am just taking it that i might be. Being container work for maritime there could be a lot of time spent in tilbury dock waiting about. The guy i will be working for has put me on good money so the unit will have to work hard. I just hope martime can keep the unit working hard to earn the top line but i have my doubts

smitch2402:

First three are normal reduced daily rests as previously suggested. The other days you would need to have a three hour rest break during your shift and complete the 24 hours with a nine hour daily rest, total 12 hours split break. These can be done as often as you are able to take the three hour rest during the shift.

It is therefore possible to do 6 x 15hrs shifts in the first week with a reduced weekly break then follow that with 5 x 15 hrs shifts in the 2nd week, have a full weekly rest and payback the reduction in weekly break for the previous weekend

Using split daily rest you could also do 6 x 15 hour shifts in the second week and then take a full weekly rest, the payback isn’t required for another two weeks, and could then do 6 x 15 hour shifts in week 3 followed by a reduced weekly rest then 6 x 15 hour shifts in week 4 followed by a full weekly rest and the payback for week one’s reduced rest. You can easily do at least 24 x 15 hour shifts in a row over a four week period and stay legal, and could do more if you wish as long as you watch the weekly rest requirements.

Big ■■■■:

jessicas dad:

I have not been told i will have to work to my max i am just taking it that i might be. Being container work for maritime there could be a lot of time spent in tilbury dock waiting about. The guy i will be working for has put me on good money so the unit will have to work hard. I just hope martime can keep the unit working hard to earn the top line but i have my doubts

i expect if tilbury is like leeds you will be flat out. :wink:

Coffeeholic:

smitch2402:

It is therefore possible to do 6 x 15hrs shifts in the first week with a reduced weekly break then follow that with 5 x 15 hrs shifts in the 2nd week, have a full weekly rest and payback the reduction in weekly break for the previous weekend

Using split daily rest you could also do 6 x 15 hour shifts in the second week and then take a full weekly rest, the payback isn’t required for another two weeks, and could then do 6 x 15 hour shifts in week 3 followed by a reduced weekly rest then 6 x 15 hour shifts in week 4 followed by a full weekly rest and the payback for week one’s reduced rest. You can easily do at least 24 x 15 hour shifts in a row over a four week period and stay legal, and could do more if you wish as long as you watch the weekly rest requirements.

That’s fine but the second weekly break would mean that your start time on the third Monday would be later in the day possibly afternoon (depending on shift end Saturday) so over a period of weeks this would mean later starts. It is unlikely many employers would allow the late starts in later weeks. Also as the working week starts 00.01 Monday, Would this moving forward of start time not impact on you weekly start time after three or four weeks?

Another point to consider is WTD. You must insure that you average week WORKING time is not more than 48 hours. Does Maritime use a 13 or 26 week reference period? If so when does that period start and finish? You would have to make full use of POA as well as rest to keep within the reqiorements of WTD.

smitch2402:

Coffeeholic:

smitch2402:

That’s fine but the second weekly break would mean that your start time on the third Monday would be later in the day possibly afternoon (depending on shift end Saturday) so over a period of weeks this would mean later starts. It is unlikely many employers would allow the late starts in later weeks.

You don’t know my boss then. The work is sorted out round your rest requirements and if that means starting on a Tuesday instead of a Monday or finishing on a Thursday instead of a Friday or Saturday then that’s what happens.

smitch2402:
Also as the working week starts 00.01 Monday, Would this moving forward of start time not impact on you weekly start time after three or four weeks?

It would but not everybody does a job which involves always starting at the same time. I rarely start at the same time of day from one day to another, or at the same point in any week.

smitch2402:
Another point to consider is WTD. You must insure that you average week WORKING time is not more than 48 hours.

Nobody really bothers with the WTD but you can still stay within the average quite easily. I regulalry used to do two weeks in eight where each of the 6 shifts in each of those weeks was around the 14 hour mark but actual WTD working time for the week was around 42 hours.

smitch2402:
Does Maritime use a 13 or 26 week reference period?

Nobody uses a 13 week period, it isn’t one of the options.

smitch2402:
You would have to make full use of POA as well as rest to keep within the reqiorements of WTD.

Never used POA since the day it was introduced, break works just as well