How many shifts can you do legally in a week?

I have never got my head around this… :blush:
in 6off 24 hour periods how do you get in “extra shifts” ?
Your limited to your 10 hour drives and only have 3off 9 hour reduced rests
You can only drive for 56 hours…

So would this work like this ?
Sat/Sun Weekly Rest
Monday 1st shift - start at 0600hours - on duty till 1130hours - (5 1/2 hours duty… 3 hours drive) 9 hours off
Monday 2nd shift -Start work at 2100 hours - work until 0300 hours - (6 hours duty - 4 hours drive) - 11 hours off
Tuesday 3rd shift 1400 hours start work - work until 0100 hours (11 hours duty, 8 hours drive) 9 hours off (2nd reduced rest) (15 hours drive)

Can you carry on like this until Sunday 6am - as long as you do not do more than 56 driving hours, do not have more than 3 reduced rests, dont drive for more than 9 hours twice and do not work for more than 60 hours under RTRW ?

If I have finally got my head around this I will be doing a victory run round the lounge again - but will lock the dog up as she bit me last time something finally klicked !

Between weekly rests (not per fixed week) you can do as many shifts as you like within the 144 hour max between weekly rests rule

The number of shifts depends on the length of those shifts and using the maximum of 3 reduced daily rests

The driving hours must comply to the fixed week rule

I see no reason why we have the fixed week rules as IMO all the rules could be between weekly rests but the EU numpties do not see it that way

I was working on the basis, of not allowed to work 7 consecutive days until recently! :open_mouth:

ROG:
Between weekly rests (not per fixed week) you can do as many shifts as you like within the 144 hour max between weekly rests rule

The number of shifts depends on the length of those shifts and using the maximum of 3 reduced daily rests

The driving hours must comply to the fixed week rule

So is my post above - working on the right lines then ?.. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Jenson Button:
So is my post above - working on the right lines then ?.. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Yes it is - you mentioned the mon 0600 to sun 0600 so that is the 144 hour rule considered :smiley:

You have considered the fixed week rules for driving time :smiley:

If you start at 12:00 on Sunday then you can work until 11:59 the following Saturday, and can do as many shifts as you want in this time. It’s a complete and total myth that you can only do “six cards”.

144 hours from mon 0600 to sun 0600

6 x 8 hour shifts = 48
2 x 7 hour shifts = 14
3 x 9 hours rest = 27
5 x 11 hours rest = 55
TOTAL = 144

6 hours driving in 6 shifts = 36
5 hours driving in 2 shifts = 10
TOTAL = 46

TOTAL breaks for all 8 shifts = 6 hours
No POA used
TOTAL RTD for all 8 shifts = 56 hours

Harry Monk:
If you start at 12:00 on Sunday then you can work until 11:59 the following Saturday, and can do as many shifts as you want in this time. It’s a complete and total myth that you can only do “six cards”.

Six cards would be difficult using a digicard :laughing:

Harry Monk:

you can do as many shifts as you want but by the end of the 6th consecative(spelt wrong i know) day you must take a weekly rest period of at least 45 hours, this can be reduced to 24 hours however you must compensate the reduced hours en block added onto a 45 hour weekly rest by the end of the 3rd working week after the reduced rest was taken. You can also reduce you’re weekly rest to two consecative 24 hour periods as long as you had a weekly rest of i think its 69 hours the week before you took the first 24 hour rest.

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

Harry Monk:

you can do as many shifts as you want but by the end of the 6th consecative(spelt wrong i know) day you must take a weekly rest period of at least 45 hours, this can be reduced to 24 hours however you must compensate the reduced hours en block added onto a 45 hour weekly rest by the end of the 3rd working week after the reduced rest was taken. You can also reduce you’re weekly rest to two consecative 24 hour periods as long as you had a weekly rest of i think its 69 hours the week before you took the first 24 hour rest.

You can add the payback to ANY rest period (daily or weekly) and not just a 45 as you stated

ROG:

Harry Monk:

Of course, but that’s why I put it in inverted commas, it’s easier to understand, in the same way that it’s easier to describe how railway interlocking works by describing a mechanical signal box rather than a computerised one. :stuck_out_tongue:

Bottom line though is that working seven consecutive days is not illegal.

Harry Monk:

ROG:

Harry Monk:

Of course, but that’s why I put it in inverted commas, it’s easier to understand, in the same way that it’s easier to describe how railway interlocking works by describing a mechanical signal box rather than a computerised one. :stuck_out_tongue:

This is what it says on page 121 of the RHA Haulage Manual 2013: Weekly Rest. A driver must start a weekly rest period no later than after six consecutive periods of 24 hours measured from the end of the last weekly rest period. The working week may start on any day and does not have to be aligned with the fixed week. For example, if a driver commenced work at 06:00 on a Wednesday following his weekly rest, he must commence his next weekly rest no later than 06:00 the following Tuesday (6 x 24 hours later) in any two consecutive weeks a driver must take two regular weekly rests of at least 45 hours or one regular weekly rest and one reduced rest of at least 24 hours. The reduction must be compensated en bloc, by adding an equivalent period to another rest period of at least 9 hours (i.e either a daily or weekly rest) before the end of the third week following the week in question.

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

Harry Monk:

ROG:

Harry Monk:

This is what it says on page 121 of the RHA Haulage Manual 2013: Weekly Rest. A driver must start a weekly rest period no later than after six consecutive periods of 24 hours measured from the end of the last weekly rest period. The working week may start on any day and does not have to be aligned with the fixed week. For example, if a driver commenced work at 06:00 on a Wednesday following his weekly rest, he must commence his next weekly rest no later than 06:00 the following Tuesday (6 x 24 hours later) in any two consecutive weeks a driver must take two regular weekly rests of at least 45 hours or one regular weekly rest and one reduced rest of at least 24 hours. The reduction must be compensated en bloc, by adding an equivalent period to another rest period of at least 9 hours (i.e either a daily or weekly rest) before the end of the third week following the week in question.

You’ve answered the question yourself Steve.

Perhaps a more practical example would be if you set off at 14h on Sunday afternoon you would have until 14h the following Saturday to get home again.

You have effectively been at work for seven ‘days’ in a row but not seven 24 hour periods.

It’s a useful rule to remember if you get held up on Friday night…

W

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
For example, if a driver commenced work at 06:00 on a Wednesday following his weekly rest, he must commence his next weekly rest no later than 06:00 the following Tuesday (6 x 24 hours later)

And that would be seven consecutive days of work.

1 Wednesday
2 Thursday
3 Friday
4 Saturday
5 Sunday
6 Monday
7 Tuesday

I think I can do better than Harry …

Shifts are 12 hours from 6pm to 6am - off every sun 6am to mon 6pm

One week holiday with first shift back on monday
mon tue wed thu fri sat sun mon tue wed thu fri sat sun mon tue wed thu fri sat sun then start another week holliday

worked 21 calendar days in a row

That would not be legal because you would be having two weekly 24 hour rests in a row and you can’t do that, regardless of whether you were on holiday before or after.

I have a question.

Say that i got a job tramping in a class 2. I start work on monday at 7am. I did a 13 hour working day only doing 7 hours drive. I then take a 11 off. When can i start work? Can i start after having a 11 hour off? Sorry. Above just confused me.

Harry Monk:
That would not be legal because you would be having two weekly 24 hour rests in a row and you can’t do that, regardless of whether you were on holiday before or after.

+1 i got infringment for this.

Harry Monk:

Have another look

The end of the holliday is the FULL weekly rest at the start of the first week - the middle week has the choice of either REDUCED and the last week has a FULL at the end of it
FULL _ REDUCED _ FULL = perfectly legal :smiley:

mickyblue:

Harry Monk:

+1 i got infringment for this.

Then it was not exactly the senario I gave because mine is 100% legal