Dropped a trailer on it's knees

Read a newsletter in the canteen last night about how many drivers have dropped a trailer without winding down the legs? 38% of drivers claim they have.

I have while on shunting, but the legs had collapsed straight through the trailer so I don’t know if that counts.

Another one is where I was in the process of dropping a trailer and someone came over to talk to me for half an hour and as I got into the cab, I had remembered.

Am I tempting fait here?

iv never dropped one but i have had a runaway once. wound the legs up and the whole thing started rolling forward. i managed to catch it before it hit anything though :smiley:

How many of us have dropped a Trailer
Yes - have More than once
Nope - I’m a Professional still a professional but also capable of stupid mistakes
Nearly a few more times than actualy done it :open_mouth:

Yes once about eight years ago. My excuse is the ever popular S.I.M. (Someone Interrupted Me.)

Not yet but had a Close call on Wednesday Night :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Backed under trailer leaving room to connect Suzi’s, as it was one of the older trailers without the sliding holder containing connector sockets, got out of cab and connected them up and then loader came with paperwork, stood talking for around 5 mins and then went and lifted legs, jumped into Cab and started to pull foward around 5ft and realised I hadn’t backed fully onto pin :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Luckily A) the trailer was full of fruit and pushed down on the 5th Wheel and B) the trailer brake had not been applied by the Shunter so it moved forward with me.

But there’s a first time for everything and nobody is Perfect :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

scanny77:
iv never dropped one but i have had a runaway once. wound the legs up and the whole thing started rolling forward. i managed to catch it before it hit anything though :smiley:

I have seen that happen before, while shunting up at Camas near Ashbourne. The guy had got out took of his red air line and the truck and trailer started to role down the slight hill and he jumped off to get to the cab and the whole thing ended up in the embankment.

He had forgotten to put his handbreak on.

He never came back shuntting again

Nope but then again ive never towed a trailer :stuck_out_tongue:

simon

Yes. Same thing, I stopped to talk to someone. :blush:

I was dropping an empty trailer as I pulled out it fell on its knees.
I pulled out the way and as the trailer was empty the forklift came around the lifted the front on the trailer with his forks while I wound the legs down.

Someone who hasn’t made any mistakes hasn’t made anything :wink: :wink:

uktruckie:

scanny77:

I have seen that happen before, while shunting up at Camas near Ashbourne. The guy had got out took of his red air line and the truck and trailer started to role down the slight hill and he jumped off to get to the cab and the whole thing ended up in the embankment.

explain this one:

why is it instinctive to jump in the cab to stop it instead of using the trailer brake? i ran round the front of it and slammed my hand on the footbrake instead of taking 2 steps sideways and hitting the trailer brake :laughing:

the car trailer doesnt have a jockey wheel so yes loads of times :laughing:

iv never dropped one but i have had a runaway once. wound the legs up and the whole thing started rolling forward. i managed to catch it before it hit anything though

Just out of curiosity how did you ‘catch it’ or are you just bloody strong and pull the things without a unit anyway?

Believe it or not during my test i came close perfect drive got back to centre went thru routine got into cab examiner said ok i replied yes r u sure he said i took the hint got out and the legs were up :cry: :cry: thought i blown it but no he gave me a minor :smiley: :smiley: .Stretched suzzies a few times once in front of boss he looked over :imp: i got out a rag with diesel on a started cleaning them , its easyer like that said i nice to see someone making a effort the boss replied :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :wink:

No I haven’t done it myself, but I’ve seen it done before and the bang made me jump I can tell you!

I suppose I will do one day - I’m told all the best drivers have done :laughing: :wink:

RS005D1136:
Stretched suzzies a few times once in front of boss he looked over :imp: i got out a rag with diesel on a started cleaning them , its easyer like that said i nice to see someone making a effort the boss replied :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :wink:

:smiley: :smiley:

Nice get out.

Never a trailer, but I have dropped a demount box from a wagon and drag on it’s knees - front legs were not down, but rear ones were :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

Do I look stupid :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

i have stretched suzies twice though :laughing:

:blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: last week ,had the face on cause i had to give up a nice new man tga for an old gobstopper the fact id just uncoupled the man and dieseld it up didnt help my tantrum :imp: :imp:
ran round the gobstopper uncoupling it then ran round to the back for the plate jumped in the cab,and pulled away . :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:
at least it was only an empty flatbed

been there bought and worn the t shirt forunatly it was an empty flat and a few years ago

The first trailer I ever picked up I dropped, the pin hadnt locked right I was too carefull backing under, instead of a good old slam! :laughing:

It was An empty bulker so I was lucky, wound it back up on low. Ive never dropped another as it was a very hard lesson well learnt, and allways after that give major therapy to amke sure that pin is locked solid before winding up ect!

uktruckie:

scanny77:

do you remember the one who shunting connected the airlines ran across the yard and down the embankment but didnt jump luckly only landed up with some broken ribs. soon after they fitted the fencing round

YES it happend to me as well :blush:

Same as before someone came over
and started chating to me.And when i
drove out BANG!!! on its knees.
But lucky for me it was empty.
The forklift lifted it ok :stuck_out_tongue: