Dropping trailers

wind the legs down before you pull out :cry: :cry:
at least was empty and i got it back up before the cameras came out :smiley: :smiley:

:blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

If you were wearing your HI-VIZ no one would have seen that happen :blush: :blush: :blush: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Dan.

hitch:
wind the legs down before you pull out :cry: :cry:

A good tip, that one Hitch :laughing: :laughing:

Yep I did it at Tescoā€™s earlier this year! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

it normally makes picking the trl up alot easier if legs are down,saves you going to get a forklift truck if loaded :laughing: :laughing: :blush: :laughing: :laughing: :blush:

Dan a.k.a Boo:
If you were wearing your HI-VIZ no one would have seen that happen :blush: :blush: :blush: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Dan.

With a hard hat you might not have even done it! :laughing:

Never done it myself, indeed never seen it done! :sunglasses:

I have seen(heard) one or two air bags burstā€¦ now that is fun! :stuck_out_tongue:

Never seen or done it myself.

My mate showed me a picture of a tank trailer that was dropped on soft ground - the legs were down but as soon as the driver pulled out, it sank by 2ft, giving the same result!

TC:
Never done it myself, indeed never seen it done! :sunglasses:

I have seen(heard) one or two air bags burstā€¦ now that is fun! :stuck_out_tongue:

it ainā€™t fun when your standing next to it when the thing goes bang :laughing: :laughing:

and no change of trousers :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Might be a good idea to wind the legs down first.

I have another tip though when yo are doing a trailer swap and its on a bay get you number plate off before you do so it saves you getting a sore head when retrieving it!!!..

Never did anything so stupid myselfā€¦cos i`m a professionalā€¦but had a new driver started with me years ago (ex army) and we were moving trailers from vauxhall cross to weybridgeā€¦he managed to drop his trailer across the one way system in the morning rush hourā€¦i said see ya laterā€¦on another job we were on a 6 week european tourā€¦first job was parisā€¦after unloading we were to park up for a week.so i decided to come home it would have been cheaper well he decided to give the boss a ring whilst we were both at home to see if there was any extra work (greedy zb) got told off for that oneā€¦and he said he had lots of euro experience and yet he was fascinated by the different coloured notes we got at the exchange bureauā€¦makes ya laugh just to think about itā€¦
have a nice day

Join the club, once you do it once it never happens again. Truckyboy (ā€œIā€™m a professionalā€), youā€™ve never made a mistake, once, ever?

Silver_Surfer:
Join the club, once you do it once it never happens again. Truckyboy (ā€œIā€™m a professionalā€), youā€™ve never made a mistake, once, ever?

Yes I once admitted making a mistake. Never again DOH :laughing: :laughing:

Never done it myself, but then I am a little paranoid about this whole trailer swap thing & not only double check the tractor unit hand brake before unhooking sisies but also do a mental walk round before getting back into the cab.

Having spent a lot of time deliving & collecting renta / lease trucks & trailers, Iā€™ve seen some good ones & take a little extra time to do things as a result, in the vain hope that it wont be me.

It can also be quite useful to disconnect the lines before pulling out from under & driving away. (So iā€™ve heard) :blush: :blush:

Driveroneuk:
It can also be quite useful to disconnect the lines before pulling out from under & driving away. (So iā€™ve heard) :blush: :blush:

Iā€™ve erā€¦seen that they will disconnect themselves eventually. :blush: :blush: :blush:

Silver_Surfer:

Well it may happen two more times, luckily i was shunting so the legs were not all the way up. :blush:

And donā€™t the lines stretch along way,
Oh and put the handbrake on the unit.

All experiance :unamused:

A friend of mine once tipped a loaded flour tank over sideways after pushing it up too far. Instead of waiting for some vans to get out of the way so he could get straightened up on the pad next to the silo, he parked ever so slightly across it (it had a very slight incline).

He started blowing into the silo, but when he pushed the tank up it fell over sideways, buckling the ram halfway up before landing across the yard - just missing the silo and another wagon on the other side. There were twenty one and a half tons still in it. I had a look at it in the yard the day after HSE released it from the bakery and it had been brought back and it was a complete write-off. The barrel was split in two places, the chassis was cracked and twisted all to hell and the running gear was totally wrecked. Surprisingly, the tractor was virtually unscathed apart from the pipework for the blower.

i never dropped one myself (yet) but did recently see one balancing on its legs momenterily before the legs colapsed; the driver picked up a sealed container from the terminal and un-coupled the trailer in the yard, he did everything right and when he pulled his unit away the whole trailer just rocked forward on the legs. it turned out that some bright spark loader stacked the whole load up against the front of the box and filled the back 75 / 80% with empty pallets / air bags. it was a strange sight for sure and a little worriying since virtualy evey container is sealed so the driver never gets to see how it is loaded :imp: