Dropping Trailers.

On shunting the other day and a driver forgot the legs, any way heard one hell of a bang, phoned the warehouse, got several forklift drivers to raise it, lowered the legs, job done, just wondered what would happen with your firm if you dropped a trailer ?

Other depots would sack the driver, but lets be honest we have all made some mistakes.Or are you perfect :unamused:

Rooster:
On shunting the other day and a driver forgot the legs, any way heard one hell of a bang, phoned the warehouse, got several forklift drivers to raise it, lowered the legs, job done, just wondered what would happen with your firm if you dropped a trailer ?

Other depots would sack the driver, but lets be honest we have all made some mistakes.Or are you perfect :unamused:

A driver next to me dropped a skelly with a loaded box on it’s knees a few years ago, I moved my truck forward by 3 feet so it was blocking the view from the office and we (4 of us by this time) took turns each winding :open_mouth:

waynedl:

Rooster:

A driver next to me dropped a skelly with a loaded box on it’s knees a few years ago, I moved my truck forward by 3 feet so it was blocking the view from the office and we (4 of us by this time) took turns each winding :open_mouth:

Thats how its done well done, what the eye don’t see etc, trouble is if the company spy/arse licker spots it the gaffer will soon know.

I have my own motto that has served me well since old enough to know…‘‘management should be on a need to know basis, and what they need to know is a little as possible’’.

good video on youtube about this on ,two pieces of wood lower the suspension on the tractor unit as far as possible,chuck the wood under ,then raise,check it out… :laughing: :laughing:

i havent seen the video
but i dont know how that works
surely the trailer is so low
you cant get your unit back under it

I dropped a trailer a couple of weeks ago, was rushing as it was pouring with rain, thought I was sacked when it happened, I couldn’t get the handle out to wind the legs up as it was stuck. Obviously couldn’t get the unit under the trailer, so came up with the idea of using the air tanks on the back of the unit to lift the trailer slightly so I could get the winding handle out, anyway, it worked and I managed to wind the legs high enough to get the unit under the trailer. It felt like it took hours, but it took me about 20 mins to sort out, was amazed nobody saw as our yard is quite busy in the afternoon.

iv been reading bout this dropping trailers and definatly as i get my new start tommorow will keep it in mind, sounds so simple to forget winding , it aint happened to me yet lol but you never know memory lapses happen, do any of you guys have a routine as to make sure you dont forget?

worksopboy:
iv been reading bout this dropping trailers and definatly as i get my new start tommorow will keep it in mind, sounds so simple to forget winding , it aint happened to me yet lol but you never know memory lapses happen, do any of you guys have a routine as to make sure you dont forget, i always seem to do trailer brake then legs just the habit iv go into

Do whatever you’re most comfortable with, because that way you won’t forget. Trying other peoples methods can confuse and then you’ll risk forgetting or missing something.

Trailer legs isn’t something I’ve ever had a problem with or worried about, I’m always more worried about unit hand brake

worksopboy:
iv been reading bout this dropping trailers and definatly as i get my new start tommorow will keep it in mind, sounds so simple to forget winding , it aint happened to me yet lol but you never know memory lapses happen, do any of you guys have a routine as to make sure you dont forget?

a good tip
after dropping a trailer
before driving out from under it
ask yourself
have i lowered the legs , put brake on , uncoupled all leads , and pulled the handle

villa:
i havent seen the video
but i dont know how that works
surely the trailer is so low
you cant get your unit back under it

I haven’t see the video ether, assume putting 2 blocks of wood under the front wheels of the tractor?

In a previous era with steel rear tractor springs it was sometimes the case when a brain donor would drop the empty trailer at full height, they were everso popular :imp: , not all trailers had 2 geared landing legs, the only way to hook up and get the legs up once fully loaded was to put wood down and reverse the unit onto the wood as you went underneath, often ended with 6" thick sleepers to get enough height.

Had one such donor where i worked who’s Marathon was about 3" higher than most of the fleet, but he lacked the nous to make allowances, mind you he was a snotty little half arsed nob anyway so might well been deliberate it would appeal to what passed for his sense of humour, his son came into the game and was just the opposite, really decent lad.

Worksopboy…

The golden rule is never ever speak to anyone when dropping/picking up, if you do speak to someone, stop what you are doing and start routine again, and then do a full walk around every time before dropping.
Its easiest to get a routine going if you stick to one tractor, so your unit steps are always on the one side, its a sod when you swap sides getting onto tractor catwalk all the time.

I’ve said this before and it works, not approved by DSA instructors who never have to work at the coal face…when dropping and picking up, don’t look out window and never ever use mirrors alone, open the bloody door and lean out whilst holding onto door handle…by going gently you will be able to see the edge of you 5th wheel, and can actually see the point where the legs have contacted or left the ground before commiting yourself to dropping or fully connecting.

If in doubt, get out and have a look, several times if needed.

Trust Me,

uncouple and take a step backwards, have a check list, legs,trailer brake, susies, job done,

Rooster.

ps I had some agency work with Wincanton now Cullina in Hereford, a agency driver forgot his parking brake both unit and trailer (Hence the double check on unit brake these days !) he got killed, run over.

The answer must be to have a routine and stick to it. Always do things in the same order. Then double check mentally. Don’t get distracted. Walk round again if someone talks to you.

I am paranoid about forgetting to apply the unit handbrake. I’ll open the driver’s door every single time to double check before releasing either the trailer handbrake, or pulling the pin.

Only takes a second to have a quick look before you get back into the cab. legs, pipes, plate and pin.
That quick look will save you a lot of hassle and possibly your job. :open_mouth:

I did it the other way round a few months ago, forgot to wind the legs up when connecting. :blush: I got 20 miles up the motorway when I had that sudden sick feeling, pulled onto the hard shoulder and sure enough the legs were down. Luckily the trailer had been dropped really low so I had to drop the suspension on the unit as low as I could to get under the trailer, this gave me about 3 inches clearance to the ground so no damage done. :smiley:

Needless to say I’m bloody paranoid when it comes to coupling and uncoupling now.

Juddian:

waynedl:

Rooster:

I have my own motto that has served me well since old enough to know…‘‘management should be on a need to know basis, and what they need to know is a little as possible’’.

And THAT’S it folks! :grimacing: :grimacing: Juddian you talk sense pal! :open_mouth: :laughing: :sunglasses: Here at stobarts, they’d sack you on the spot! :bulb: :unamused: :question: :exclamation: EDUCATION NOT CONDEMNATION FOLKS! Nobody’s perfect! :grimacing: :grimacing:

bloke started for dhl only worked 10 days spent more time suspended than working then sacked him he had coupled up raised legs bet he wont forget the good old tug test next time 26 pallets of chocolate in the middle of the yard with a trailer on its knees and the rear lights of the tractor unit next to the trailer on the floor ooooppppps :open_mouth:

If anyone breaks your hook up - unhook routine that is the biggest cause for dropping one on its knees. If you dropped one at my site as long as there was no damage nobody would say a word mainly because we have no gaffers anymore :laughing: . But if it happened at a bigger site you’d be out the door most likely :unamused:

Worksopboy…Come and sit on my LAP PAL…legs,airline,pin…pin,airline,legs…simple to remember and don’t forget to apply or release trailer brake…usually a Red Knob at the back.

Simplified version - assume all relevant safety steps taken .
Hooking up - FRONT TO BACK
2 tugs to check pin engaged - cant fall off later
handbrake on - won’t roll away when the red line goes on .
check dog clip
lines on
legs up
number plate on

dropping off - BACK TO FRONT
handbrake on
number plate off
legs down
lines off
pull pin

Used this for 15 years and never dropped one yet . Its my routine and I stick to it .
edited to please 3ducks :slight_smile:)

beefy4605:
Simplified version - assume all relevant safety steps taken .
Hooking up - FRONT TO BACK
2 tugs to check pin engaged - cant fall off later
handbrake on - won’t roll away when the red line goes on .
(What about the DOG CLIPâ– â– ?)
lines on
legs up
number plate on

dropping off - BACK TO FRONT
handbrake on
number plate off
legs down
lines off
pull pin

Used this for 15 years and never dropped one yet . Its my routine and I stick to it .