Dropping Trailers.

3ducks:

beefy4605:
Simplified version - assume all relevant safety steps taken .
Hooking up - FRONT TO BACK
2 tugs to check pin engaged - cant fall off later
handbrake on - won’t roll away when the red line goes on .
(What about the DOG CLIP■■?)
lines on
legs up
number plate on

dropping off - BACK TO FRONT
handbrake on
number plate off
legs down
lines off
pull pin

Used this for 15 years and never dropped one yet . Its my routine and I stick to it .

Surely if you drop a trailer properly, you’d see that the unit and trailer haven’t separated before you pull out.

SEE HERE

Armagedon:
Worksopboy…Come and sit on my LAP PAL…legs,airline,pin…pin,airline,legs…simple to remember and don’t forget to apply or release trailer brake…usually a Red Knob at the back.

your company must be exempt from displaying number plates on trailers i presume :smiley:

Green456 your being facetious!!!

Rooster:
On shunting the other day and a driver forgot the legs, any way heard one hell of a bang, phoned the warehouse, got several forklift drivers to raise it, lowered the legs, job done, just wondered what would happen with your firm if you dropped a trailer ?

Other depots would sack the driver, but lets be honest we have all made some mistakes.Or are you perfect :unamused:

certainly would not have got forklift trucks out to lift the trailer :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

how is that going to teach the driver to remember the legs when dropping a trailer?

in my firm, the driver who dropped the trailer would have to wind it back up on the handle, ON HIS OWN!!!

he will then realise that it is not easy, especially if the trailer is fully loaded

oh, and then i would take the ■■■■ :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

villa:

worksopboy:
iv been reading bout this dropping trailers and definatly as i get my new start tommorow will keep it in mind, sounds so simple to forget winding , it aint happened to me yet lol but you never know memory lapses happen, do any of you guys have a routine as to make sure you dont forget?

a good tip
after dropping a trailer
before driving out from under it
ask yourself
have i lowered the legs , put brake on , uncoupled all leads , and pulled the handle

if the driver has forgotten one of the above he is unlikely to remember to ask himself :smiley:

I have a new premium and it has a button on it for when you have coupled up.Set off press it and the trailer brakes come on so if the trailer is going to come off it will in the yard and not down the road.Good idea i think.

I dropped a very nice Krone Fridge earlier this year, as the boss I had the explaining to do as well as put a claim to the insurers whick was £8k plus

I didn’t so much drop it as do it properly but on very unstable ground at the top of my yard as i pulled out the right leg collapsed into the ground and the fridge went over on an empty skip - reasult one big whole in the side :open_mouth:

green456:

Armagedon:
Worksopboy…Come and sit on my LAP PAL…legs,airline,pin…pin,airline,legs…simple to remember and don’t forget to apply or release trailer brake…usually a Red Knob at the back.

your company must be exempt from displaying number plates on trailers i presume :smiley:

What part of coupling and uncoupling does the number plate play. stop nit picking.

all good tips on how not to do it,but also make sure no one with a camera about,20 ton of scrap bales,tr on its knees,time to start winding

i will put my hands up, ive dropped a trailer on its knees, got distracted, luckly it was empty. I have smacked the legs on the floor once, winded them up at Oxford and knocked it out of gear and stowed the handle, got to j30 M25 and bang they went on the tarmac they had slowly lowered themselves, so now always leave in gear and stow the handle away. never forgotten the pin or suzies tho. YET

The fail safe option, remove number plate, apply handbrake, wind down legs, undo lines, pull pin.

Before getting back in the cab to pull off check the legs are down and look between cab and trailer to check the lines.

worksopboy wrote:
iv been reading bout this dropping trailers and definatly as i get my new start tommorow will keep it in mind, sounds so simple to forget winding , it aint happened to me yet lol but you never know memory lapses happen, do any of you guys have a routine as to make sure you dont forget, i always seem to do trailer brake then legs just the habit iv go into

Do whatever you’re most comfortable with, because that way you won’t forget. Trying other peoples methods can confuse and then you’ll risk forgetting or missing something

Deffo get into YOUR routine we had a driver trainer up at last job for a week telling everyone they must do it his way well at the end of the week we had few droped trailers and used up our supply of spare sussies not seen said trainer since :laughing:

HELLO EVERYBODY - I’M A NEWBY. :blush:

I’ve never dropped a trailer in my life because my ‘old boy’ driver trainer told me to remember just one word when uncoupling a trailer - B L A C K.

Brake
Legs
Air
Coupling

. . . now I’m sure somebody will say, “What about the K ?”

Dieseldoforme:
HELLO EVERYBODY - I’M A NEWBY. :blush:

I’ve never dropped a trailer in my life because my ‘old boy’ driver trainer told me to remember just one word when uncoupling a trailer - B L A C K.

Brake
Legs
Air
Coupling

. . . now I’m sure somebody will say, “What about the K ?”

Brakes
Legs
Air Suzies/Numberplate
Dog Clip
King Pin

if your Disconnecting you struggle to forget kingpin that or your not going to get very far or bend the legs lol

Sam Millar:
Brakes
Legs
Air Suzies/Numberplate
Dog Clip
King Pin

B L A C K
Brake
Legs
Air (That would obviously include all connections)
Coupling (That would obviously include the Dog Clip)
Knumberplate (That would allow for my poor spelling)

I’m not sure what you mean about ‘King Pin’

K5Project:
if your Disconnecting you struggle to forget kingpin that or your not going to get very far or bend the legs lol

My thoughts exactly ! :smiley:

Dieseldoforme:

Sam Millar:
Brakes
Legs
Air Suzies/Numberplate
Dog Clip
King Pin

B L A C K
Brake
Legs
Air (That would obviously include all connections)
Coupling (That would obviously include the Dog Clip)
Knumberplate (That would allow for my poor spelling)

I’m not sure what you mean about ‘King Pin’

King pin is the big lump of metal that hangs under the front of the trailer and locates in the fifth wheel

i was always under the impression that every driver knew what this was :unamused:

as was mentioned earlier

B Brakes
L Legs
A Air
C Clip
K Kingpin

It always makes me laugh at depots when I see the driver next to me rushing around the trailer, winding the legs down like superman on speed, and acting as if there’s a prize for being able to drop/couple in less than a minute! :open_mouth:

I suggest 90% of all knees jobs are from “rushing” it when you should take your time - even if salaried! :unamused: