Driving with pets

Hi all! Does anyone take their dogs / cats with them while driving ? This is commonplace here but what about you guys ?
Of course, I understand that european trucks have smaller accomodations, but still…

yes , a few drivers over here keep small dogs with them in the cab.
i have even met a guy in north wales who keeps a cockatiel in the cab :open_mouth:
it was in a cage but there was bird seed and poop all over the cab. :exclamation:

pets bloody nusiance i’d rather wait till the weekend

My main concern would be the terrible conditions and awful smell.

But I guess the pets could get used to it the same way the driver does. :wink: :smiley:

Coffeeholic:
My main concern would be the terrible conditions and awful smell.

But I guess the pets could get used to it the same way the driver does. :wink: :smiley:

:laughing: and in Emergency the small dog or Cat under the Brakepedal :question:

Used to, years ago in England but they can be a danger, sometimes to themselves.
Had a young Ally and he sat on the bonnet of my Mandator right next to me but, to stop him getting over enthusiastic and trying to lick my face when driving I had his lead tied to the passenger door handle. One day I stopped to pick up another driver and when he pulled the door open Major was yanked right out and on top of him :open_mouth: . Fortunately neither was hurt but both a bit :open_mouth: ed.
Problem with international drivers in Europe is crossing borders with all the right documentation for pets. I don’t know but I think some channel crossings are not possible with pets in trucks, only cars.

Salut, David.

Spardo:
One day I stopped to pick up another driver and when he pulled the door open Major was yanked right out and on top of him :open_mouth: . Fortunately neither was hurt but both a bit :open_mouth: ed.
Salut, David.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: poor old major :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

Used to take my oversized collie cross with me at one point, but he’s too old and arthritic now, so he just sits at home looking hard done by. He was a dab hand at hiding in the bunk when we went onto various docks though! :wink:

Lucy:
but he’s too old and arthritic now, so he just sits at home looking hard done by. :wink:

You sure your talking about the dog here■■? :laughing:

Bones:

Lucy:
but he’s too old and arthritic now, so he just sits at home looking hard done by. :wink:

You sure your talking about the dog here■■? :laughing:

:laughing:

Lucy:
He was a dab hand at hiding in the bunk when we went onto various docks though! :wink:

That job has now been given to Matty:wink:

I used to take the wife with me if thats any help :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

simon

took the wife out with me once

never again. :exclamation:

I took my partner out withme once and he refused to do it ever again lol He spent the entire day clinging to the sides of his chair and yeling “we’ll never get through there!” - to which my reply was to stand on the accelerator. :slight_smile: Bwahaha He was a terrible banksman too. Stick to office work sweetie, thats what I said.

My beautiful poochy-■■■ used to come out with me often. He’d spend the whole day lying down watching me. He was good at keeping away strangers just because he looks big n mean, but he’s really a big softie and very good with people.

Its no hardship to kep the cab clean and sweet smelling if you put the effort into it. Swept it out once a week, give the dash a wipe when it needs it and replace the air freshener regularly. Buy a good one too, like haze, not one of those rubbishy trees.

Dapper Scavenger:
Its no hardship to kep the cab clean and sweet smelling if you put the effort into it. Swept it out once a week, give the dash a wipe when it needs it and replace the air freshener regularly. Buy a good one too, like haze, not one of those rubbishy trees.

Ahhh…if only my dogger were that easy to clean up after…he moults so much that I only swept the cab out once a week when we were tramping, there’d be no room for either of us to get in by Tuesday dinnertime!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Btw…for those that don’t realise, the reason he used to hide on the docks is because you are running the risk of having them put in quarantine for 6 months if they catch you shipside with them, same as if you go airside on airports. :open_mouth:

Pets…?

I know a few drivers who take their fleas out in the van with them :unamused:
Does that count?

I used to take my old doggie Ben with me when I was on the 7.5 tonner.Everyone knew him, & it was before all this health & safety stuff really took hold, so he used to be allowed into most places with me.If he wasnt,I’d leave him at security, where he would be fed & cossetted by everyone…he got to be a right little porker with all the food he begged off people, it was quite embarrasing, because Im sure everyone used to think I starved him!
I had to have him put to sleep last september, because his back legs had gone, but he was 16 years old, so he had a long & happy life.I still really miss him though :cry:
I have Tess Dog now, a black & tan collie cross, who is a total liability, shes deaf, so we communicate with sign language! Shes very aggressive towards strangers & bites with no warning at all, but shes a rescue dog, & was very ill treated, so cant blame her really. :cry:
T.■■

This is Tess Dog in her Welsh Rugby shirt when Wales won The Grand Slam! :smiley:

I have never had a dog or cat as a cab pet, I would love one but the job has always made it impossible :cry:

However many years ago I was picking a load up in Kent to go to Austria.

My instructions were to collect a trailer and report to the site office.

“Make sure you switch on the lights before entering the office” :confused: :confused:

This request seemed strange and I ignored it :blush: As I walked into the office this rather large dog launched itself at me :stuck_out_tongue:

It turns out the dog was deaf and a sudden surprise made him eat people :smiley: If you rang the doorbell he didnt hear it, if you turned the light on first, he sort of expected visitors :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:
I have never had a dog or cat as a cab pet, I would love one but the job has always made it impossible :cry:

Yes, same here and same problems faced. :cry:

Sometimes take my dog, Mutley, a cross staffie with me. He is fine in the truck, but tends to launch himself from cab when we are getting out forgetting how high up we are :unamused: