Driving licences

Hi all, this may be a daft question.
I know you need to carry your CPC and Digital card when driving, was told it’s now legal requirement to carry both parts of your licence. Is this right?
Ta, Mike.

Strictly speaking, it has always been the case that you must be able to produce your licence on demand, BUT for decades now there has been a statutory defence available if you produced it at a nominated policed station within seven days (I think going back even further it used to be five days, but that could just be me mis-remembering). This has not changed.

Oddly, the UK is one country where you do not have to but in most countries it seems you do

I think it should be made law that all drivers must carry them when driving and they must all be photocard ones with the paper bit scrapped

My understanding is that the paper counterpart will be consigned to the history books next year.

Well that lays that to rest cheers fellas. Ill go tell me mate to ram it!

The last time I got pulled on a mobile check I produced my licence, but did ask the vosa over carrying it. I was told that you didn’t need to carry it but it make their job easy to prove your licence and category. Anything to get on your way quicker you try and do.

Rog agree with you. What is the point in having a photocard and paper part. Surely the 60 fine (now maybe more) sould cover endorsing the fine on your photocard part.

Darrenb:
Rog agree with you. What is the point in having a photocard and paper part. Surely the 60 fine (now maybe more) sould cover endorsing the fine on your photocard part.

Indeed it should - and will do from next year. The paper counterpart is a bit of a throwback to when endorsements had to be hand-written by the Clerk to the Court.

The paper counterpart is one issue for which the EU can probably be blamed: When licence harmonisation rules were drawn up, the British system of endorsements and penalty points were not included, so our lot had to find a way of running them alongside the photocard rather than as part of it.

If the paper bit is scrapped then how will prospective employers check for points?

It’ll all be done on-line (or by telephone, as is done now).

ROG:
If the paper bit is scrapped then how will prospective employers check for points?

Like they do in any other country. No where else have paper counterparts, only us.