driving licence

I have been told by my employer that I have to carry both parts of my licence (photocard and paper) with me while at work. up to now I have only been taking my photocard and thought that was sufficient, what do you guys do and could someone help and tell me if my employer is talking through his backside.

Don’t know about the legality but guess that he can request you to do this whilst he is paying you.
I do know that my previous employer made us bring in paper part once a month for photcopying etc to check for endorsements.
Also as far as I know if you get a tug and are told to produce your licence at a police station etc you will be expected to bring the paper part.

I always carry the lot with me whilst at work, if I didn’t and put it in a safe place I would forget where it was.

Your licence is made up of 2 parts the paper bit validates the photo card. So they are correct in what they say. BUT why would they insist you carry it with you, if the Police wanted you to produce they would give you a producer ? There is not law saying you have to carry it with you. Pain in the backside. Kids carry their Passports with them these days to prove I.D. in boozers. Then get mullered and lose them !
Mucho costo replacement :smiley:

I used to carry my paper one with me all the time, but it got in such a state I decided to leave it at home.

this may shock you but if you get stopped by police for a road traffic offence and they ask you to show them your DL and the green part and you fail to do so, you are then committing an offence. The producers is a get out clause for the police because they could be reporting 20- 30 people a day for not carrying there DL and green part hence the 7 days to produce.

These days it could be difficult to nominate a police station that is open at a time that fits in with your working hours.

mickyblue:
this may shock you but if you get stopped by police for a road traffic offence and they ask you to show them your DL and the green part and you fail to do so, you are then committing an offence. The producers is a get out clause for the police because they could be reporting 20- 30 people a day for not carrying there DL and green part hence the 7 days to produce.

Correct, although last time I was stopped I only showed my photocard which seemed to be enough for them so no ‘producer’ issued.

mrpj:

mickyblue:

Correct, although last time I was stopped I only showed my photo card which seemed to be enough for them so no ‘producer’ issued.

it’s all on systems now days

scotlad:
I have been told by my employer that I have to carry both parts of my licence (photocard and paper) with me while at work. up to now I have only been taking my photocard and thought that was sufficient, what do you guys do and could someone help and tell me if my employer is talking through his backside.

he is correct, but, you should be carrying it with you at all times when you are driving a vehicle, not just a truck

It makes sense to carry your photo driving licence with you at all times, especially if you are driving for a living.

Indeed, in that Europe, your dangly bits will be on a skewer if you fail to produce.

Much easier these days, of course, with the new style licences that snuggle up next to the myriad other cards in the Modern Man’s wallet :wink:

However, looking at it from a purely practical angle, how long would a PAPER document last in the average trucker’s sky rocket before disintegrating?

Any info pertaining to the licence holder should be available via the photo licence from plod’s database without the need to substantiate it with a paper document.

Unsurprisingly, the green counterpart document is a quirky British anomaly to the standardised European driving licence :confused:

When I was driving on a UK licence, the paper bit was always filed away in pristine condition at home.

Now I’m on a German licence, no such paper bit exists :wink:

Now in my main job I have a lot of interaction with the police - I asked the same question a couple of weeks ago and the officer told me you dont have to carry the paper part all the time - if they need to see it they will give you a HORT1 form (a producer) an employer may require you to carry both parts that is their rules

It’s a farce cos it’s all on their computer records anyway. Once they’ve got a name, they know whether you’ve got a licence before you produce it.

Tone

mickyblue:

i was told this about 5 years ago by a copper who stopped me for speeding, when he asked for my licence i just gave him the plastic bit as the paper part was at home, this was when i found out that it is an offence not too carry both parts and produce them when asked.

a bit off subject this but relevent all the same but drivers with drivers cards must also carry there cards at all times (even when your not driving trucks) as when the police see you have one when they do there check they can ask for it too( a mate got this and didnt have it on him as it was at yard being downloaded) he got a dressing down from the copper and they informed vosa who in turn visited his boss and checked them out.

scotlad:

Does it really matter ? FFS the guy is paying your wages so if he wants you to carry an extra piece of paper in your wallet,so what.Why make an issue out of the subject? Will it effect your health?wealth? NO,quit your freakin whining and do the job the way the boss wants it done.
Only one person involved who’s talking out of their backside :exclamation:

flat to the mat:

scotlad:

Does it really matter ? FFS the guy is paying your wages so if he wants you to carry an extra piece of paper in your wallet,so what.Why make an issue out of the subject? Will it effect your health?wealth? NO,quit your freakin whining and do the job the way the boss wants it done.
Only one person involved who’s talking out of their backside :exclamation:

+1 :wink:

Your boss word is law i suppose however you dont need to carry it with you its just a bit of paper proves nothing, coud be a clean duplicate and your real one with 9pts stashed away… Anyway my lawer told me once when i was up court for traffic offence never handover licence when pulled always get a producer…

Companies that are on the ball nowadays do dvla checks over the phone every 3months. These companys have probly had there fingers burnt taking your dl at face value only to find out after a serious accident that it was a duplicate and your drink driving offence has been hidden invalidating there insurance :smiley:

scotstrucker:
a bit off subject this but relevent all the same but drivers with drivers cards must also carry there cards at all times (even when your not driving trucks)…

That bit is a myth, there is absolutely no need to carry your driver card with you at all times. If the police stop you while you are driving your car there is no requirement for you to have your digi card on you and driver’s who claim to have had problems with police officers over this are simply talking ■■■■■■■■.

last time i was stopped which is a fair few years ago,told him i didnt carry it with me as i had it stolen in past out of glove compartment and he [vosa] just took name and checked on p.c,no problem.
work -we dont produce them as they check up somehow [signed a form], lot easier than taking it in every few months

Inselaffe:
However, looking at it from a purely practical angle, how long would a PAPER document last in the average trucker’s sky rocket before disintegrating?

As someone whos driving licence is photocopied by the office everyday I work, it can be a nightmare. With a standard licence holder, your licence is removed from its cover, unfolded, copied, re-folded countless times. Resulting in the paper part disintigrating at the folds very quickly. There is however an easy solution ............... get yourself an A4 heavy duty ziplock polypropylene clear document case from somewhere like wilkos, (50p-£1) these have a thin "sliding" plastic zip on the top edge, & also have a pocket stuck to the front just the right size for your photocard. Once your paper licence is inside, anyone can easily photocopy the details, and check its authenticity without the need to remove the license from its case, even more so if you staple the zipper closed to deter even the most stupid office clerk from opening the case to remove the paper part & damaging it. The photocard can be removed by whoever is doing the photocopying, so that they can postition the card under the paper part however they wish to copy it, before replacing it. your license will be visable to whoever wants to see it, but it will be A4 size, this doesnt bother me as I stick mine inside a briefcase that I use to carry my stuff, but you could stick in your Truckers atlas so it stays flat in your bag.
I once “encapsulated” my paper licence many years ago, in 1 of those heat seal cases …thats deffinately NOT a good idea :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: