Driver's medical examination

the last few weeks i have been doing agency work for Royal mail on Thursday a group of us was sitting around a table chatting the subject got around to driver medical examinations it seemed to work out by what everyone was saying that between eight people we all seem to pay a different price for the examination and there was different degrees of testing done it doesn’t seem that there’s some sort of industry standard for this or if there is this not being adhered to as the eight of us are in the same area with different experiences i was wondering what differences there had been nationally all these examinations were for 45 year examination

It’s 23 years since I had my medical, but as I remember the doctor follows the DVLA medical form and carry’s out the tests accordingly. As far as pricing, your doctor can charge what he likes, but the medical doesn’t have to be done by your own doc. There’s always a doctor who does them cheap. There are a couple in my area that do them cheaper. Got to have my 45 med next year!

There’s a good list here:

viewtopic.php?t=19955

Generally its about £25 - £120 depending on where you go. So it pays to shop around.

My medical last year was walk into the room he was using, at the Big Yellow Self Storage place in Chelmsford, without falling over. Hand him a small bottle of urine for testing, could have been anyone’s urine and he did congratulate me on my pregnancy :blush: but it didn’t show any signs of diabetes so all good. Blood pressure checked then move my arms about a bit followed by reading a couple of lines on the eye test chart; one of the lines spelled the name of the Polish bloke who just moved in next door to me so that was easy. Answer a few questions about my medical history and it was done. In and out in a few minutes, never seen the bloke before and likely never to see him again. Cost me £49 as far as I can remember.

It seems that some doctors have cottoned on to this as a lucrative and easy job in retirement. Where I had mine done was in the doc’s own house with his wife as receptionist - £29 cash, and only on Thursday evenings. There must have been half a dozen of us there at least so a not bad couple of ton for an evening’s work.

Santa:
It seems that some doctors have cottoned on to this as a lucrative and easy job in retirement. Where I had mine done was in the doc’s own house with his wife as receptionist - £29 cash, and only on Thursday evenings. There must have been half a dozen of us there at least so a not bad couple of ton for an evening’s work.

The day I went to Chelmsford he had booked the room for 3 hours and he had bookings every 15 minutes, I saw 12 names on a paper on the desk. He was only in his 30’s so not retired, I assume.

Santa:

Its what doctors used to be like, my family doctor had his own pocket money fund. After surgery there would be another queue near his kitchen door. Old Doctor McKenzie used to repair lawnmowers in his spare time :laughing:

Yes Madam, a polio jab and here is a prescription for Bills ATCO :wink:

That was in the days when doctors smoked, he had a pipe and let me smoke in his workshop aged about 12

Wheel Nut:
That was in the days when doctors smoked, he had a pipe and let me smoke in his workshop aged about 12

A Doctor letting a 12 year old smoke his pipe? That’s just wrong on many levels, didn’t you have a Catholic priest for that sort of carry on in your village? :wink:

lol i had my medical bout 2 n half years ago doctor is now retired shame it was only £15 a few drivers would have known him in willenhall well used by the community, i think you walked in with a white stick and sunglasses he would have passed you nice enough bloke though :sunglasses:

My last one cost me 90 quid

Coffeeholic:

Wheel Nut:

A Doctor letting a 12 year old smoke his pipe? That’s just wrong on many levels, didn’t you have a Catholic priest for that sort of carry on in your village? :wink:

I am not religious :laughing:

£54 for mine. Got the womans card incase i knew anyone that needed one, if you go straight to her she charges £50. I was in there for 15 mins, think she liked me :wink: :laughing:

JoeG:
£54 for mine. Got the womans card incase i knew anyone that needed one, if you go straight to her she charges £50. I was in there for 15 mins, think she liked me :wink: :laughing:

Did she make you cough while cupping you gently? :wink: :laughing:

Coffeeholic:

JoeG:

I’d gladly pay £50 for a service with a smile attitude :sunglasses:

This where it all goes wrong, Every company I worked for in the UK paid for my medical exam. My company over here pays also even though from past experience it costs around $100.00 and we have to take it every 2 years, no matter how old we are. The first 2 are taken 12 months apart then it is changed to the 2 year period.

Coffeeholic:

JoeG:

Yeh what’s all that about mine did i would of smacked him one if i hadn’t of needed the medical pass

I remember having a CDL physical in Glens Falls about 2005 and put on one of those paper gowns that are open at the rear and was naken underneath. The embarassement started when the doctor walks in and is a woman with very large ■■■■■ and a figure like venus, so the genital exam bit got slightly red faced, I had to take my eyes of her and imagine she was an ugly git, the worse bit was when she asked me to bend over so she could examine my spine for any curve, as I did so the door swung open and a nurse walked right in saying she needed some gloves, when I looked behind me I saw the door wide open and half the waiting room staring at my bum. :blush:

I NEVER went back there again.

my old man has just had his medical,it took 4 minutes and that included nipping to the little boys room to fill a bottle.cost him £50. :smiley: