Drivers/doctors/medical problems

me i hate doctors.
apparently most blokes do, but as drivers are there any medical problems that effect us.
i know it is often said that heart attacks and truck driving go hand in hand (or so that girl from optiontheme keeps saying), but is there anything else that is a regular occurance in driving, wether it be a bad back or piles etc,etc.
as a driver , if you think there is something wrong with you do you worry about wether you could lose your licence.
now heres something that happened to me a few years ago.
i was driving along the a14 towards felixstowe, when i hit a bump and as the air suspension on the seat lifted so did i, in fact for a few brief milliseconds i was still in the air whilst the seat went back down.
anyhow all of a sudden i came across all funny, dizzy infact. i honestly thought i was going to fall over, so i grabbed the steering wheel to steady myself. i was scared witless.
but i never went to see the doc straight away. well i was fine for the next few days so i forgot about it.
untill that is it happened again. this time i was not driving but i was at home. i went upstairs to the loo to take a leek, and whilst standing there i got that dizzy feeling again , then all of a sudden i lost my balance and over i went. fully concious i might add, but unable to do anything except pick myself up off the floor.
i went to the doctors then, but only because the next day i was supposed to be going to the n.e.c on my bike to the bike show, and i did not want to go dizzy whillst riding a bike.
the doc was convinced i had blacked out (scared me to death, as i could have lost my licence) and so sent me off for tests.
well as it happened it turned out i had an ear infection in my inner ear. basically the fluid in my inner ear( spirit level thingy) had all gone so my balance was severely affected. this was what caused me to have that funny turn when driving the truck with the air seat.
accoring to the doc, this can happen to some people who are bobbing up and down a fair bit, and an air suspended seat can have that effect.
has this happended to you or anyone you know :question:
would you go to the doc if you had a problem that might end up with your licence getting taken off you. :question:

Dave i have just posted on Bullys about the possibility of shingles and im pretty ■■■■ scared i can tell you.

But on a lighter note the only ailment worrying me at the minute is old age, i,m starting to get pains in areas i didnt know you could get them and a friend once told me that a sign of old age is getting the pains before you go to work!!!.

Oh how true he was!.

OUCH.

Some years ago I had something similar. I used to go dizzy and feel sick, but it only happened when I was relaxing. Ignored for a little while, but eventually went to the doctor and she said it was one of three things, but most likely an infection in the inner ear, so she gave me a course of pills to take.
They sorted it and I’ve never had the problem since. When it first started happening I was worried about what it might be and of the possiblity of losing my licence, but a quick visit to the doctor sorted it out. I don’t think there was any link with air suspended seats as I was doing an office job at the time. :smiley:

dave,bad back`s and high blood preasure are a couple that most truckers may suffer from.bad backs due to the constant strain put on the spine as we are sat most of the time and high blood preasure due to the kind of carbage most of us neck while on the road and lack of excercise (especially the smokers among us) :unamused:

i have to say that i won’t take anything prescribed or over the counter if i’m driving. I don’t want to risk losing my dream. Apart from the smoking i’d say i’m fit and healthy.

Had a friend once that kept on thinking she had an ear infection, so too did the doctors, so just casually prescribed antibiotics to clear it up, bout 3 months ago, she was rushed into hospital with a brain tumour! She’s on the road to recovery but just goes to show that sometimes doctors aren’t what there cracked up to be.

tiggz:
just goes to show that sometimes doctors aren’t what there cracked up to be.

Too ■■■■ right!

My father in law suffers from emphysema (coal dust on the lungs) and he was recently ill and we called for the doctor to come to him. The doctor wouldn’t come out as he said it was due to his condition. The doctor told him, over the phone, that he should just take paracetamol for the pains he had.

Later that day we dialled 999 for an ambulance and admitted him to the local hospital. It turns out that he had pneumonia, something which I am sure can not be cured by paracetamol!

Needless to say, a complaint has been made to the health authority about his conduct.