Chest pains & driving

Ended up in A & E yesterday after having chest pains over the weeked, had all the tests, ecg, xray etc and now back home.

The info I had from the hospital was negligable as I was passed from department to department. Other than ‘take plenty of rest and dont do anything physical’ and ‘we’ll send the results onto your GP’ I was left in the dark.

Nobody (not even my GP) wanted to know my occupation, so does anyone know if this information is passed on automatically to the authorities? Is this the end of the road so to speak?

Ollie…

first off I hope you are feeling better today :open_mouth:

I am not a doctor, and therefore anything I post below is just supposition, and should not be taken as “Gospel”

However,

If an ECG showed any abnormaility, then I doubt you would be at home with no advice “Not to drive”,

any irregular heart rythm is taken extremely seriously, and if one is detected the medics always ask very quickly what job you do, as this is a major help in any diagnosis. from the details you have given I doubt (but nothing as 100% certain) that you have any major problems,

Chest pain can be anything from a full blown heart attack to ,(believe or not) constipation, :open_mouth:

so does anyone know if this information is passed on automatically to the authorities?

Only a diagnosis will be sent by your GP to DVLA, and only then if any condition affects your ability to drive HGV’s as defined in the regulations. as you have been sent home I doubt if this is applicable

I would suggest just trying to relax for a few days, and await the GP’s report, even if it is a heart problem that is not the end of your career, with treatment many drivers now have their licences returned and are able to continue driving

Ollie:
I was passed from department to department.

That in it self sounds like stressful experience !

Haven’t got a clue what procedures are in these cases but it does sound crazy that you can’t speak to anybody about this and get some decent information.

How’re you feeling now ?
Hope you’ll soon be all fit for fight again.

■■
Jo

I’ll just second what Rikki has said, if anything wasn’t as it should have been you wouldn’t have been sent home with a “take it easy” Try to relax (easier said than done I know) don’t worry for the next few days and have a chat with your GP about it. Again as Rikki said, pain in the chest isnt definately cardiac.

First of all you had an ECG which is a test to determine whether you have in fact suffered a heart attack…if it was a positive result that showed problems with your heart then i would have thought that they would have kept you in for further tests such as a scan…you would also have received medication…so i would think that you have picked up a chest infection which can also give the same symptoms…but you did the right thing in going to the A&E…the hospital will not get in touch with the DVLA…thats your job…but if you are of age then you will certainly have to have a medical…so they will get the information then…if you are not sure what it is thats bothering you then a friendly chat with your doctor will put your mind at rest.
have a nice day

As said above chat to your GP to put your mind at rest but until then take it easy pal and rest up. :wink:

First off, I hope you are feeling better & that it’s nothing serious.

Secondly, DO NOT EVER ASK ANY DOCTOR, “SHOULD i DRIVE”, OR “AM I SAFE TO DRIVE” .

He / she will tell you if you should not drive, & asking a direct question will result in them playing the safe, don’t sue me card of NO, DON’T DRIVE.

A second thought, the best way of asking about driving is to ask if you are “OK to go back to work”, if they ask tell them you are a HGV driver, but treat it as “work” not driving & then it’s up to them to ask any relevant questions & not you to decide what is relevant to your health.

A couple of years ago Ollie, I went in for svt and arrythmia. Iwas sent home after 3or4 days. At that time, I wasnt quizzed over my HGV, and I never told anyone. I kept driving and nowt was said.

Sept 26th this year, I got took in again, this time with a full bore heart attack. I was in for two weeks. The difference was, this time they specifically asked me my job and license, I told them, and they said tell the DVLA or we will.

I had 6 weeks off driving a car (they advised that) and I have to await the DVLA decision, the docs have stated I’ll likely lose the lisence, and in a letter I recieved from the dvla they have listed the options which includes taking it away from me. I believe at the mo they are backlogged through some type of industrial action, so Im still waiting an official decision.

Apparently it’s not set in stone, but usual tp lose it in cases such as mine. Im only guessing from my own experience Ollie, but I think you should be OK, 2 years ago they didnt ask, so I didnt tell them, but this time it was a lot more serious and I was asked a couple of times, speciffically.

Oh, and on the bright side Ollie, there were quite a few blokes came on the ward in the 2 weeks I was there, and the majority didnt have heart attacks, there were various explanations, and they soon went home! So pecker up me old son! You might be lucky! :smiley: The docs did say allways they were right to go in with chaest pains, they ALWAYS take them seriously!

Ollie, I had an angina attack a few months ago and again I was asked specifically about my licences and told not to drive HGV. I have a couple of good mates who have had heart attacks and went on to get their licences back by passing the treadmill test. My aim is to get my licence back next may when I see my consultant again. So all is not lost. You may have to sit yourself down and make your doctor to take the time to talk to you(it took me some time to manage this).,

TD, im glad to hear you know a couple that actually got their ticket back! All ive heard round my way is blokes that have been told no. Is it just a treadmill test? Also, I was told you have to be clear of all problems for 2 years, is this true?

Hi Mal…i dont know about the 2 year rule…but if it was true…they would make you take another test cos you havnt driven for 2 years…ha ha you know what their like…i had a health check last week by my cardiac surgeon…and he was surprised i wasnt already back at work…i told him in the new year…and i was told last year i didnt have to tell swansea…which i didnt…and wouldnt…but with a medical in 2 years then they will know anyway and ill take it from there..i wanna stop work at 60 anyway..i still think it funny that they allow you to drive a car at over 70 mph..and yet take away your licence for hgv..which only drives at 56 mph..cos of heart problems..and yet with medication its under control..i know some will say its the size etc.that can do a lot of damage..thats true..but what i worry about is those drivers out there that havnt been diagnosed yet..im on medication for the rest of my life…but my Blood pressure + Cholestrol level are something to be proud of (according to the doctor)…yet if i told swansea i`ve had heart problems they would want to stop me driving.yet i drive my motorhome across europe to Bulgaria every year…oh well…have a nice day

Hiya Bob, I know what youre saying mate. I was more dangerous in effect before this latest attack, because I’d got arrythmia, and it wernt even medicated! Now im on 7 pills a day, for life like you. They say they might drop 2 of them after the pipeworks replaced. I drove all the way to Rhayader and back today to see the Red Kites, Im knackered but did it OK :smiley:

Im glad youve got the all clear M8! :smiley: Theres always a lot of rumours flying about, and Im still in the dark from the quacks. Ive got to go to Stoke on next Thurs for an outpatients, and theyre gonna get some questions! :wink:

Finally had the all clear (of sorts), phoned my surgery in the hope of speaking to my GP. Couldn’t get past the receptionist who conceeded to check my results, she said there was nothing to worry about, though I could make an appointment ‘if I really wanted to’ (very considerate I thought).

Looking back, I think I injured myself the other night when I put a trailer on, the trailer was too close to the unit and it was a bit of a struggle to pull the handle on the slider. Being a tallish 5’ 4" I probably overstretched and all the pressure was on my chest. Still painful, but at least it’s not cardiac related.

Thanks for your concern guys, and Mal I wish you better health for the future, you’ve really been through the mill as have a few others on this forum. I guess it goes with the job, long hours, can be very stressful, and we just accept it.

Glad to hear you checked out Ok M8! :smiley: