Drivers CPC

Hi all i passed my car test in 1992 and i have C1 on my licence does this mean i have grandfather rights for my Cpc as i have with my PCV thanks Dave

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=40314

Yes, as you passed your test before 1997 you will have C1 on your licence which counts as a class of LGV so you get grandfather rights. You mention PSV. Your grandfather rights will expire Sept 2013 on PSV and a year later for the LGV. But any periodic training you complete before Sept 2013 will cover both sectors regardless of whether they were industry specific or not. Maybe crazy but that’s the rule. It clearly pays you to complete the 35 hours before Sept 2013. If you don’t manage that, then you can’t legally drive PSV professionally (IE for money) until such time as you have completed the 35 hours.

Hope that makes sense. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I have done 7 hours towards my cpc and am now starting my lgv 2 course will any of this count as time towards my cpc thanks

daverandall:
I have done 7 hours towards my cpc and am now starting my lgv 2 course will any of this count as time towards my cpc thanks

YES - because you already have LGV C1 and PCV on your licence

What date did you pass your PCV?

sept 1996 i am getting confused as a couple of training schools have said that the lgv trainig i will do will count towards my periodic cpc training

Some schools will add some cpc hours with lgv c or c+e training, I did my lgv c with jcoates and got 7hours of periodic dcpc. It should have been 14hours but the weekend meant a break from instruction :confused:

I was going to go with coates but i didnt feel at ease there going with Data Academy

Passing PCV in Sept 1996 and having a pre 1997 C1 on your licence means that you have aquired/grandfather rights for both LGV & PCV

My advice would be to pass all 35 hours of dcpc before 09/09/2013 as that will keep you ok for both LGV & PCV - training hours count for both so only a total of 35 hours needs doing.

It will also give you a DQC (driver cpc card) with expiry dates of 09/09/2019 for both LGV & PCV - in effect, it gives you 1 year of PCV dcpc for free - this is done so that both PCV & LGV dates are the same for the future

daverandall:
… i am getting confused as a couple of training schools have said that the lgv trainig i will do will count towards my periodic cpc training

This is only possible if the training schools have the LGV practical courses approved for periodic dcpc.
Some training schools do, but not very many so check cafefully, and they usually have them approved for 14 hours if 1 to 1 training or 28 hours if 2 to 1 training over a standard 5 day course.

The initail dcpc, which you will not be allowed to do as you already have LGV C1, cannot count for periodic dcpc