Driver cpc quiry

:confused: during a conversation today i overheard a fellow driver say ,to renew your digi card you need your 35hrs of driver cpc in the bag,ive not heard of this before and mine expires this coming feb,anyone knows if this correct/incorrect,also do the dvla send a reminder out,and do you pay for renewal.oh and just another question in 2014 if you have your 35 hrs in do you get a cpc card sent to you automatically :question: :question: :question:

The driver cpc doesn’t come into to force until 2014 like you say so you can just apply for a new digi card, £19.00 for a renewal.

I’m not sure about the cpc card being sent automatically, someone will no doubt be able to answer that one for you.

Bit more info here on the DVLA form.

dft.gov.uk/dvla/forms/~/med … D777B.ashx

Renewing your card
You will need to ensure that you apply for a renewal at least 15
working days before your driver card expires and the ability to record
information is lost. Once the card expires it can only be used to display,
print or download the data held on it. Expired cards do not need to
be returned and should be kept for 28 days after expiry. Data must be
downloaded from expired cards before they are disposed of.
You as the driver are responsible for ensuring that your digital tachograph
driver card is renewed prior to the expiry of the existing card.

Collecting your card
You must make sure that the information has been downloaded from your
old card before you hand it in to your nominated DVLA local offi ce or VOSA
testing station. When you collect your card you will have to hand in your
previous card. If you don’t, you will have to apply for a replacement and
pay a fee.

cat826:
:? during a conversation today i overheard a fellow driver say ,to renew your digi card you need your 35hrs of driver cpc in the bag

He’s a misguided [person] :unamused: :wink:

cat826:
ive not heard of this before

Well now you know why :smiley:

cat826:
do the dvla send a reminder out,and do you pay for renewal

I’ve no idea about the reminder but the cost to renew the Driver card is £19, or was the last time I looked :wink:

cat826:
oh and just another question in 2014 if you have your 35 hrs in do you get a cpc card sent to you automatically :question: :question: :question:

I don’t know but we’ve got 4 years to find out :wink:

shortfatbaldbloke:
The driver cpc doesn’t come into to force until 2014 like you say so you can just apply for a new digi card, £19.00 for a renewal.

I’m not sure about the cpc card being sent automatically, someone will no doubt be able to answer that one for you.

The driver cpc started 2008 for bus drivers and 2009 for truck drivers. If you leave it until 2014 then there is a chance you will not get it done.

The dig card has nothing to do with the driver cpc

Just slip a trainer a brown envelope with a few notes in, hey presto 35 hours done and dusted. :smiley:

:smiley: cheers for the replies,i thought i was hearing things,one of the bulker drivers who isnt intending doing the cpc hrs and calling it a day in 2014 thought he might have to do it as his digi card expires in 2012,this will cheer him up in the morning when i give him this news knowing the only thing he has to do is pay 19sqid renewal fee for his last 2 yrs :smiley:

If you have a photo style licence the DVLA will automatically send out the DCPC card when you have completed your 35 hrs training. If you have an old style licence you will have to apply for the DCPC card yourself after completing the 35 hrs training.

As to slipping the trainer a brown envelope, if the trainer is that bent how will you know if your training is being uploaded onto the dsa daterbace :question:

19 quid stealth tax, since when does it cost 19 quid for a bit of plastic card and a stamp!

merc0447:
19 quid stealth tax, since when does it cost 19 quid for a bit of plastic card and a stamp!

Since the government decided it was an easy way to make money, which by coincidence was about the same time they decided to allow some training companies to exploit an already dumbed down system of improving drivers skills :unamused:

i doubt if any driver still has an old style licence

the driver cpc is a great big con, everyone who agrees with it wants shooting. no body wants it . thats why i cant wait for 2014 so i can hang the keys up for good.

Welcome to Trucknet-UK macker1 :wink:

Thanks, Tacho , A lot of drivers have not relised that it is the EU who have brought in the DCPC the goverment has had to implement it. I have worked for a company who have been doing this sort ot training with drivers for the last 12 years and my thoughs are is you never stop learning, If as drivers we have to do it ask for courses that will benifit us

macker1:
Thanks, Tacho , A lot of drivers have not relised that it is the EU who have brought in the DCPC the goverment has had to implement it.

As is usual though the Government have cocked it up, just jumped in at a chance to make more money out of drivers without any thought to benefits.

Driver A/ Falls asleep for seven hours and learns nothing
Driver B/ Wants to learn and takes it all in.

Both will get the same DCPC Card and be seen as equally qualified.
How is this going to benefit anyone■■?

johnno:

macker1:
Thanks, Tacho , A lot of drivers have not relised that it is the EU who have brought in the DCPC the goverment has had to implement it.

As is usual though the Government have cocked it up, just jumped in at a chance to make more money out of drivers without any thought to benefits.

Driver A/ Falls asleep for seven hours and learns nothing
Driver B/ Wants to learn and takes it all in.

Both will get the same DCPC Card and be seen as equally qualified.
How is this going to benefit anyone■■?

I hope driver B doesn’t take it all in, or he’ll be taking half hour rest after 6 hours work, and whole myriad of other wrongly intepreted stuff all taught by shirts out to make a buck without any understanding of the regs or the industry.

macker1:
Thanks, Tacho , A lot of drivers have not relised that it is the EU who have brought in the DCPC the goverment has had to implement it. I have worked for a company who have been doing this sort ot training with drivers for the last 12 years and my thoughs are is you never stop learning, If as drivers we have to do it ask for courses that will benifit us

Though the Driver CPC is the result of an EU directive it was left to the individual countries governments to decide how the regulations would be implemented and this is where our government has fallen short in my opinion.

I agree that we never stop learning and as someone who came back to driving lorries after many years away from it I know better than many how much this industry has changed, I’m not against vocational training on the contrary I’m in favour of it but it’s the way the Driver CPC has been implemented that I see as a mist opportunity.

Personally I see a training program where there’s no need to learn anything as long as we attend as a PR stunt that will benefit only a small minority of people whilst many will simply attend.
The biggest crime of all though is the fact that no-one monitors the courses being offered, the stories of misinformation being taught at some of these training sessions beggars belief, I have personal experience of a days training where the instructor, though seemingly a thoroughly nice bloke, was way out of date with the information he was teaching, sadly in my opinion this was to a large extent a wasted day for me but for anyone who took serious notice of what we were being told the implications could be worse :open_mouth:

I’m not suggesting that all the training companies who do Driver CPC training are bad but there’s no doubt that many are, and that is in my opinion the reason why the whole thing is an expensive mistake that if at all humorous would be a farce.

I’m afraid that whilst some people will undoubtedly make money from the Driver CPC, neither the drivers nor the road transport industry as a whole will get good value for money.

tachograph:
I’m afraid that whilst some people will undoubtedly make money from the Driver CPC, neither the drivers nor the road transport industry as a whole will get good value for money.

And thats putting it in a nutshell.

I couldn’t agree more. Tis a total Farce.

macker1:
If you have a photo style licence the DVLA will automatically send out the DCPC card when you have completed your 35 hrs training. If you have an old style licence you will have to apply for the DCPC card yourself after completing the 35 hrs training.

If you have a paper licence you don’t have to apply for anything, the DSA will contact you.

This is the letter they sent me.

hitch:
i doubt if any driver still has an old style licence

I have an old style paper licence, as I refuse to have my pockets picked for £20 every 10 years.