Digi card renewal info needed

my digi card renewal is due, just wanted to know as ive got form, it says send driving licence with it, do i need to send my paper and card bits, and do i need to send a photo too.
thanks.

Seems a bit strange that they are requesting your driving licence. I just renewed my digi card, sent form and fee, took 2 weeks to get new digi card and mine doesn’t expire until Feb :confused: :confused:

It may be worth checking the paperwork again and if it does say that, i would ring up and enquire the reasons why. This is not what should normally happen. !

Mine is due in april how early can you apply for it ? :smiley:

I got my letter telling me it was due to expire in Feb, through at the beginning of December, so i filled it all in sent it off and it came back 2 weeks later. I now have 2 digi cards (they stated in the letter i should not return my current card), and the old one will expire on 16th Feb and the new one cannot be used until the 17th (assuming it works). The DVLA should send your letter about 2 months in advance of your old car expiring. :smiley:

you got 2 cards naughty naughty!! I had to fill out for state nearest dlva station so I can pick it up, got letter saying card was at dvla office & take the letter with old card, then exchange them over. simples!!

you got 2 cards naughty naughty!!

I tried the new one in a tacho unit and it said invalid card so according to the paperwork i got back it won’t start working until the start date… :smiley: i’m not too convinced myself. :wink:

xxicelandicxx:
my digi card renewal is due, just wanted to know as ive got form, it says send driving licence with it, do i need to send my paper and card bits, and do i need to send a photo too.
thanks.

You need to read the form again, it doesn’t say you must send your licence.

In the checklist bit it says:

My GB driving licence — if this applies:

It doesn’t apply in the case of a renewal as you have a photocard licence, you must have as you already have a digi card, and you aren’t presumably changing your address.

If the photo on your driving licence is still valid and not about to expire shortly you don’t need to send a photo.

chris mc:
you got 2 cards naughty naughty!! I had to fill out for state nearest dlva station so I can pick it up, got letter saying card was at dvla office & take the letter with old card, then exchange them over. simples!!

You don’t exchange the old card when it is for a renewal, you keep the old card as data can still be checked and downloaded from it and it is perfectly normal to have two cards at the cross over period. The new one won’t work until the valid from date and the old one can’t be written to once it expires.

Something to note for people renewing cards.

As a card lasts for 5 years if you are renewing in the next few months this means you got your card in early 2006, unless you have replaced the original card because it stopped working, you lost it, or you moved hours. Cards issued before the 26th August 2006 will show as invalid and not be able to be recorded to on the last day of their validity. You need to treat it as a malfunctioning card and take printouts at the start and end of your shift if you are working that day.

chris mc:
I had to fill out for state nearest dlva station so I can pick it up, got letter saying card was at dvla office & take the letter with old card, then exchange them over. simples!!

Thats strange,as my form was sent to me 3 months prior. All I had to do was tick a box stating i want to renew it, send off the £19 fee, and the card was sent direct to my home address within 7 days.
you can`t renew before the 3 months prior, I tried. So long as DVLA have your current address, just wait for the renewal form to arrive, fill it in and send it back

I got a renewal form on December 17th & new card just after Christmas & my card doesn’t run out until 9th March! Definitely don’t need to send off your licence, unless there’s been a change of address. Just tick a box, sign & date, & enclose your £19 cheque.

ok thanks everyone.