Driver cpc! Is their any funding for this

I’m just wondering if their is any funding for this, I refuse to waste my money on it and would rather let dvla insert my class 1 up their arse, it cost me 1300 to get my class 1 to only get a life of misery, loneliness and stress then to add the cpc in makes me think why should I bother paying more out to drive wagons when the transport industry is nothing but a joke and all the driver is is a scum bag to public and easy money to hitler wannabie vosa officials

… aaaaannnnnd relax!

Does the class 1 then become renewable every 5 years or is it just the cpc thing

Rob nobby Gassor:
Does the class 1 then become renewable every 5 years or is it just the cpc thing

Are you for real■■?

I dont know anything about the cpc I’ve not read anything so not got a clue

CPC is renewable every 5 years

Commercial licence categories are renewable with medicals.

Rob nobby Gassor:
I’m just wondering if their is any funding for this,

Not generally.
It can be put down as work related training for tax expenses though.

Des anybody know what the cost of the training is? And how many hours it is, it will have to come out my own pocket next year I expect

35 hours in a 5 yr period. Must be done in blocks of 7 hours

Various providers charge different. There is also an upload fee that is often added on top so that your CPC record is correct.

Fees can range from £40 per session to over £100 per session.

You must ensure they are registered on the JAUPT register of Drivers CPC providers for it to count towards your £35 hours.

Also ADR training and HIAB training can count towards your DCPC hours

Great stuff, I think I may just give it a miss. Hopefully I won’t need it for the 2 private units we own

dar1976:
Also ADR training and HIAB training can count towards your DCPC hours

As can an operator’s CPC I might add.

Thankyou dar1976, well I’ve got a year or two to make up my mind, do they teach anything of much use?

Thanks red squirrel

Rob nobby Gassor:
I’m just wondering if their is any funding for this, I refuse to waste my money on it and would rather let dvla insert my class 1 up their arse, it cost me 1300 to get my class 1 to only get a life of misery, loneliness and stress then to add the cpc in makes me think why should I bother paying more out to drive wagons when the transport industry is nothing but a joke and all the driver is is a scum bag to public and easy money to hitler wannabie vosa officials

You would be better off over on the other forum, the one were the bloke who runs it is currently likening himself to Nelson Mandela with shades of Martin Luther King.

This whole stress, scum, the big boys are picking on me thing is much more their deal. Here we know it’s an easy stress free job and the scum thing is mostly in the mind.

If you do decide to rant about the DCPC over there the password is ‘Travesty’.

I hope this helps. :slight_smile:

Rob nobby Gassor:
…do they teach anything of much use?

NO !!

I had mine paid for by the Welsh assembly but that was only because I was made redundant so qualified for £2000 training costs.

Rob nobby Gassor:
Great stuff, I think I may just give it a miss. Hopefully I won’t need it for the 2 private units we own

Not too sure of what you mean by ‘private units’, but the CPC card will essentially become part of your LGV qualification. If you drive something that requires an LGV licence and you haven’t got your CPC then you haven’t got a legal licence.

tallyman:

Rob nobby Gassor:

Not too sure of what you mean by ‘private units’, but the CPC card will essentially become part of your LGV qualification. If you drive something that requires an LGV licence and you haven’t got your CPC then you haven’t got a legal licence.

Yes you do, you only need a DCPC to be able to drive for a living, you can still drive anything you want just not for your employment.

There are probably loads of threads elsewhere on the forum, and I bet this subject has been discussed to death but for what its worth here is my two pennies worth.

The Drivers Certificate of Proffessional Competence (DCPC) is a European initiative that we (The UK) have adopted and the powers that be have decided that all professional drivers in the UK must carry out the required training before it becomes law in 2014 (I think its 2013 for Cat ‘D’, PCV). Like others have said it consists 35 hours worth of training(Over a 5 year period), which there are various types of training that the driver can choose to do (There own choice), for example, ADR, HIAB, First Aid at Work, Digital Tachograph Trg, etc etc. Each area of training comes with its own ammount of training, again for eample ADR would take a massive chunk of the trg as it will probably take 4 days at 7 hours a day to get your ADR certificate, and then do a 1 day (7 hours) first aid at work course and hey presto you have your DCPC (As you have carried out the 35 hours) and you have done some personal career development.

However, the costs of the courses will normally be born from you as an individual and thats if your employer is willing to give you the time to do it, and if your already being employed then you probably wont need to do any personal career development but 2014 will come round and bite a few people on the Arrse. Only time will tell if employers are willing to fork out to get all their drivers through the training, I’m led to believe that some decent employers have already started with offering evening/weekend classes to their drivers (At no cost to the driver) on courses that they feel would benefit both the company and the driver. (Fisrt Aid, Safe and Efficient Driving, Health and Safety etc).

As much as it all seems to be a load of old tosh its something that the LGV professional driver fraternity will have to embrace. There will no doubt be the old and bold out there that will give it the “I aint doing any of that ■■■■, cos I’ve been driving for over 30 odd years and no one can teach me anything” but as much as the majority of others agree with you my friend it doesnt change the fact that come 2014 your out of a job as you cant legally be a professional driver without it and someone else (infact, a huge que of other drivers) with a DCPC will take your place without batting an eye lid.

My gripe is that there is not a tight grip on the training, for instance an individual can do 5 lots of the same course to gain the DCPC, for example each year do a 1 day (7 hours) first aid at work course and over the period of the 5 years gain the qualification so in otherwards not actually showing or improving anything to do with driving as a proffesion!! If a proffessional driver is being made to do this then why isnt every employed person in the UK being made to do it.

Like I said, its probably been discussed to death elsewhere but I’m new to the forum. So apoligies if its bored you to tears

Rob nobby Gassor:

What do you mean by private units?

Are they taxed as private?

Are they used commercially?

The LICENCE and the DCPC are totally seperate issues but both are required for a LGV driver to be allowed to drive LGVs commercially

Only the LICENCE is required to drive LGVs privately - common example of that is a private horsebox