Considering starting driving again

Hi Folks,

I am considering returning to driving Class 1 after a long break. I never was a full time driver, but used to drive occasionally, doing hay and straw, artic and W&D (one of those nice turntable drags, fun reversing) :stuck_out_tongue: . Passed my test in about 1985.

I’m now 51, and could do with earning some extra money for a couple of days a week, while I get a new buisness going.

I never renewed my licence, when reaching 45, because I wasn’t driving, so couldn’t see the point in doing the medical. I’ve been told all I need do is get a medical, do driver CPC and get tacho card, then I should be good to go.

I must say I’m a bit nervous at the thought of jumping in an artic after 20 years off, and doing multi drop round London on my first day. :open_mouth: I think I’ll have to try to get a gentle break in. I’m sure I’ll get back into it pretty quickly, but being as a lot has changed in 20 years, any suggestions or words of wisdom for someone returning to trucking would be appreciated. :smiley:

Thanks.

Are you planning on paying for the drivers cpc yourself? Are there any decent agencies in your area? No use coughing up - what is it for a cpc - 600 quid? - and then never getting any work.

Firstly, if you’re concerned about being away for so long- spend a few quid of a couple of hours training.

Secondly, if CPC is £600, then you could sit an ADR course. They cost roughly the same, you get 28 of your 35 hours CPC, and you get your ADR, which will improve your chances of getting a decent job.

My DCPC with a days refresher driving came to just over £600, if I’d have done ADR course (core + packages) it would have come in at around a £1000 (inc the days refresher)

The ADR will count towards 21hrs NOT 28! and ONLY if the training provider is JAUPT registered, the days refresher driving counts as 7hrs toward the DCPC(one module = 7hrs)

Bear in mind that the provider will usually charge an upload fee of about £8 per module (7hrs) and be sure to ask them if they are JAUPT registered and if they can count your training toward your DCPC.

Reef:
My DCPC with a days refresher driving came to just over £600, if I’d have done ADR course (core + packages) it would have come in at around a £1000 (inc the days refresher)

The ADR will count towards 21hrs NOT 28! and ONLY if the training provider is JAUPT registered, the days refresher driving counts as 7hrs toward the DCPC(one module = 7hrs)

Bear in mind that the provider will usually charge an upload fee of about £8 per module (7hrs) and be sure to ask them if they are JAUPT registered and if they can count your training toward your DCPC.

My ADR covered 28 hours, and it cost £520.

CPC and DIGI then do a little 7.5 or class 2, to get your money back, then go for it.
as they say is it worth it cost wise to get started up again.

i am 50 and fit, and consider myself a lot safer driver than i have ever been.

Endgame:

Reef:

My ADR covered 28 hours, and it cost £520.

Hmm, must vary from provider to provider then, another thing to watch out for and to ascertain BEFORE parting with any cash then :wink:

Thanks for the advice chaps, I shall think about it over the holidays and make my move in the new year. The ADR sounds like a good idea. I’ll have no problem doing the job, I did a spells of multi drop to help out a mate, 7.5T curtainsider. I still have my big plastic box full of A to Zs for virtually everywhere in the country, though I think I might get a sat nav. Used to do lots of roping and sheeting on the straw job too, though I think that’s almost an extinct practice these days. :wink:

I jumped back in one after a 25 year little break. Bit scarey for a couple of days. To be honest most modern trucks a child could drive. Didn’t need a refresher. Go for it