Periodical Driver Training

Hi all

Anyone advise on the general cost of periodical training, weather it being for just 7hr sessions or for a block 35hrs… some ppl have all the luck and have an employer that cover the cost, well I don’t so I’m gonna having to be funding it on my own and need to move on it before September, if I’m looking to haul my ■■■ into the driving seat :unamused:

Ah, another one only just starting at this very late stage :open_mouth:

Try LGV training companies, they often run courses for a more reasonable fee than some of the opportunistic rip off merchants out there, from what I’ve seen. I’d expect to fork out around £300 for all your hours.

Thanks Rob

but its not a case of another one leaving to late…class 1 & 2 was done as a backup to my other career, something to fall back on…
Now that my other career came to an abrupt end its time to get updated and legal …

cost around £40 - £50 per 7 hrs

Whereabouts are you? Other local members might be able to give some recommendations.

Swampey2418:
Thanks Rob

but its not a case of another one leaving to late…class 1 & 2 was done as a backup to my other career, something to fall back on…
Now that my other career came to an abrupt end its time to get updated and legal …

You are not the only one ‘in that boat’. The job scene hasn’t really picked up in any sphere, so I too will be doing the driver cpc at this late stage too. I am currently earning very good money in a non driving job, but that is on a temps contract of an unknown duration so having the HGV and PSV licenses up to date, complete with drivers cpc sorted is always an extra option if needed.

Cheapest I found to get the cpc card is around £240 for a weeks course, with a typical range of around £250 to £300 all in. If you want to do it at weekends, expect to pay a small premium.

I know a bloke that did an ADR course and got 28 hours CPC thrown in, leaving him 7 to do later. I don’t know if that was cheaper, but it somehow feels better use of time :wink:

Interestingly, not all companies throw in hours if you do class 1 training, I have been told (after booking , yes feel silly!) that the training company near me only offer CPC hours for ‘classroom based’ learning. That sort of makes sense, but is still annoying when I see other schools throwing in a couple of days CPC with a class 1 course.

I am also interested what happens AFTER September for people that have grandfather rights, are they then compelled to do initial CPC and case studies as well, or do 35 hours before they can get a job?

After September you have until September 2019 to do another 35hrs of periodic Driver CPC, your “grandfather rights” will be gone.

khdgsa:
After September you have until September 2019 to do another 35hrs of periodic Driver CPC, your “grandfather rights” will be gone.

Thanks, but I missed out a bit. Actually two questions:
What happens if you pass a test for the first time after September and you had grandfather rights; I’m guessing that you then have to do initial CPC and case studies as well?

Also, what happens if you did have grandfather rights, get your 35 hours before September, and THEN do Category D (we have one bus at work). I know it was Sep 2013 to acquire CPC for buses. But do your 35 hours count for anything, and do you have to do all four modules for Cat D or just theory test/hpt and practical?

Thanks

Khdgsa

Grandfather rights will run out this September 2014 not 2019… so even if we get the 35hrs within the next few months, it covers us until 2019 :open_mouth:

Yes Yh… If you do an ADR course of 5 days then this can be added to your total amount but Im finding that companies wanna charge for the 5 day course then charge for the pleasure of using them towards ya CPC and charging £18 per 7 hrs… this is actually becoming a rip off

If you want to do something useful on the DCPC YOU must ask and make certain that the course content has been approved by JAUPT.Some ADR,Hi-ab and C+E courses comply but YOU have to make sure.The training will count but any time spent on test or exam does not count as training.

Thanks, but I missed out a bit. Actually two questions:
What happens if you pass a test for the first time after September and you had grandfather rights; I’m guessing that you then have to do initial CPC and case studies as well?

Also, what happens if you did have grandfather rights, get your 35 hours before September, and THEN do Category D (we have one bus at work). I know it was Sep 2013 to acquire CPC for buses. But do your 35 hours count for anything, and do you have to do all four modules for Cat D or just theory test/hpt and practical?

One lot of periodic training (35hrs) will cover both. Once grandfather rights have expired, the way forward is to do 35 hrs. Drivers who have never had any driver cpc entitlement will do Mods 2 and 4.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

BTW £300 for the lot.

Peter, are you sure about that last reply?
If an LGV driver has acquired rights to DCPC up to Sept. 2014, but hasn’t already got a Cat D licence, won’t his acquired rights only cover Cat C & CE? (Also, acquired rights for Cat D will have expired in Sept. 2013, unless 35 hours had been completed before that date.)
So, someone now passing Cat D for the first time will need to do the full DCPC for that Category, via Modules 2 & 4 for PCVs.
I realise that someone who already got Cats C & D on his licence can gain a DQC for both via the 35 hours training route, but doesn’t this require him to have acquired rights to both Categories?
Sorry if I’m wrong, but this just goes to show how complicated the whole DCPC rules are for dual Category licence holders and those gaining additional Categories to an existing vocational licence.

If logic applied, then given the choice of CPC modules are the same no matter what license you have, the 35 hours would ‘count’ towards D when you later add it. However ‘logic’ and ‘driver CPC’ are not two terms that go well together.

I believe that MajorRoad is correct. My current understanding is that I would need to do mods 2 and 4 for cat D anyway as since Sep 2013 everyone needs to, right? And I think that would leave me with 2 different 5 year entitlement periods, one for C (running from whenever I complete the 35 hours) and one for D running from whenever I pass mod 4.

This stuff is worthy of a ‘Yes Minister’ plot…!

Grandfather rights will run out this September 2014 not 2019… so even if we get the 35hrs within the next few months, it covers us until 2019

That isnt Right Swampy, Grandfather rights only covers us for the period the cpc started which was 2009 and 2008 for buses, we have grandfather rights for the first 5 years of the cpc, this is why all new drivers need to do cpc before they can get their licence. in sept 2014 all grandfather rights stop and we have to have our 35 hrs training before then. then between sept 2014 and sept 2019 we have to do another 35 hrs cpc, it doesnt cover us for any years in advance, its is to be completed every 5 years, it doesnt mean we do it now and it means we are ok for the period 2014 to 2019

Swampey2418:
Hi all

Anyone advise on the general cost of periodical training, weather it being for just 7hr sessions or for a block 35hrs… some ppl have all the luck and have an employer that cover the cost, well I don’t so I’m gonna having to be funding it on my own and need to move on it before September, if I’m looking to haul my ■■■ into the driving seat :unamused:

I had read in the truck stop mag CPC all 35 hours £149 with free accommodation. get to a truck stop or a MSA and pick one up. It’s at the back in a yellow advert

If the driver has acquired rights for cat ‘C’ and has a ‘D1’ with 101 restriction (16 seat not for commercial use) he can contact the DSA (might be DVLA - can’t remember) and have acquired rights added to the D1 101 restriction.

When he then completes 35 hours of periodic training he will receive a DQC with both C and D categories.

When he then takes his nice shiny D test … he’ll already have a DQC for that category and can avoid the initial ‘D’ CPC