Driver agency charges?

Does anyone know the going rate for how much an agency charges a company for supplying drivers? I know there is different rates for artic/rigid/vans etc, but just wondered what the going rate is?

Regards,

Mark.

class 1 all hours days £10.50 nights £11.50 manchester based although some want to charge £16ph.

£14/£15 Class 1 Midlands.

Thanks for the info guys. I was curious as to how much the agencies took after paying the driver, seems the driver pay rate round here is about £8 - 10. Nice little earner for the agency if they charge £15!!

Regards,

Mark.

The agency will make about £1 an hour. Our current agency is down to 63p.

Don’t forget they also have to pay employer nat insurance, holiday etc.

Out of that £1 they’re not making a load of dosh.

UglyPanda:

True. It’s all about volume rather than high margin. Even If they have 100 guys on the books working 30-40 hours a week then they won’t be making much, 3-4k a week doesn’t go far when you look at what they actually have to do to get the work, and the overheads incurred.

Around here, a major (franchised) agency were looking for £11+VAT per hour for a Class 1 driver (based on 8 hour shift) a couple of years ago, at the time the agency lads were making around £8.50 an hour on an artic in these parts.

My new boss had me on agency for a week and liked me so offered the job fulltime. Told me the Agency charged £1100 for the week which was 5x12 nights… I got £320 on my pay slip from the agency.

Hang on a minute, you got £5.16p per hour for 5 12hour night shifts is that correct? Presumably thats after tax but even so that’s shocking, the agency charged the company an average of £18.30p per hour?

hmm lemme find the wageslip :stuck_out_tongue:

edit
ok, so I worked 61 hours for the company, 57.5 hours @ £8 per hour and 3.5 hours @ £12 per hour. Also that week I worked 12.75hours ( on sunday ) for another company @ £12.75 per hour, after tax this gave me £471.36 so - the sunday work we have £343.86 Now I know we have the Ni and tax etc. so lets just round that up to £370 for 61 hours. This is £6.06 an hour. Don’t sound a lot, lets look at the original figure pre-tax of £629-127.50(saturday) =501.50 £8.22 per hour.

If my Boss is being accurate with his qoute of “we got charged £1100 for the week for you on agency” Then @ 61 hours thats £18.03 per hour. meaning the agency made £9.81 profit per hour for me working. = £598.58 for the week.

Lets just say the agency have 50 employees - £29929 profit per week ( assuming same hours worked each employee) X 50 week a year is £1,496,450 profit per year.

Lycanthrope:
If my Boss is being accurate with his qoute of “we got charged £1100 for the week for you on agency” Then @ 61 hours thats £18.03 per hour. meaning the agency made £9.81 profit per hour for me working. = £598.58 for the week.

I wonder if the £1100 includes the VAT. If it does at 17.5% then it reduces the cost down to £936. Then your 61 hours equates to £15.34 hr.

Stan

Stanley Knife:

Lycanthrope:

I wonder if the £1100 includes the VAT. If it does at 17.5% then it reduces the cost down to £936. Then your 61 hours equates to £15.34 hr.

Stan

Ok well lets try that with my pathetic maths skills :stuck_out_tongue:

£15.34 per hour, - the £8.22 per hour they pay me on average… = £7.12 profit per hour. lets say that on average their 50 employees work an average of 50 hours a week… £17800 a week profit. over 52 weeks a year thats £925,600… now I’m sure theres office stay to pay and building rental etc… but thats a hefty sum, and we wonder why the industry is in the state it is, its robbing agencys taking all the money.

FH16Globetrotter:

UglyPanda:

Around here, a major (franchised) agency were looking for £11+VAT per hour for a Class 1 driver (based on 8 hour shift) a couple of years ago, at the time the agency lads were making around £8.50 an hour on an artic in these parts.

What and where is that agency? Are we talking a big national agency?

Lycanthrope:
ok, so I worked 61 hours for the company, 57.5 hours @ £8 per hour and 3.5 hours @ £12 per hour.

So that’s £502 gross wages. Plus the agency will have had to pay employer’s NI at around 13% over about £100 which is another £50ish and then holiday pay which works out at near enough another £50 (the actual figure is 12.07% it seems). So that’s near enough £600 in direct costs the agency has had to pay.

Lycanthrope:

£1100 is only £917 or thereabouts once the 20% VAT is taken off. £917 less the £600 from above is only a little bit over £300 which is roughly half the figure you worked out. Still a healthy profit though…

At the end of the day though it’s supply and demand and I can only guess you’re in an area of relatively high demand. I know when I was on agency around here a few years back that one agency was charging £9.95+VAT for me on class2 work and then paying me £7.00 which once you take employer’s NI and holiday pay into account doesn’t leave them very much of a profit at all but round here there are a lot of agencies all doing their best to undercut each other to get the relatively small amount of work that is available.

Paul

Sunday for £12.75/hr? Looks like I got out at the right time. A few years ago £16-18/hr was the norm for a Sunday on agency. Now look at it. You lot should QUIT encouraging new blood into the job and any newbie that comes on this site asking about getting started should be ignored or told not to bother. Too many trucks and too many drivers chasing too little work. Give it a few more years and you’ll be at nmw right the way through without any overtime rate or weekend rate. You’re that stupid you can’t even see when you’re shooting yourselves in the foot. :unamused:

I’m off the agency now Rob as I was sick of never knowing how much I was gonna earn a week and worrying about bills.

Now I work nights at £7.60 an hour, which I agree is not a lot, but it is regular money, there every week in the bank, the same shifts every week, not mixed like the agency, and most of all it is a foot in the door with the company, for changing to days and bigger money in the future.

Lycanthrope:
I’m off the agency now Rob as I was sick of never knowing how much I was gonna earn a week and worrying about bills.

Now I work nights at £7.60 an hour, which I agree is not a lot, but it is regular money, there every week in the bank, the same shifts every week, not mixed like the agency, and most of all it is a foot in the door with the company, for changing to days and bigger money in the future.

That’s bad enough for days!

£8 per hour for nights on agency is pretty poor. I pay £15 per hour on nights to the agency and they pay the driver £12 per hour which is fair enough. I think basically that agency were having your pants down but at the time you say you were doing it the recession was biting hard and I bet they had blokes Q’ing round the block for that £8 odd per hour. Depends on location, East I think you said which is pretty poor generally I think. Just shows drivers in the golden triangle get a much better deal.

How much do Fowler Welch pay on nights? Surely they pay more than £7.60. Isn’t there an Eddie chilled depot in Newark? Work must be thin on the ground in Newark…