What do agencies charge?

So say a driver is after £10/hour on agy.

What would the agy charge? I’d hazard a guess at £20/hour or there abouts.

Just something I have always wondered.

I’ve no idea but I wouldn’t have thought the margin would be that high in todays competitive market.

Sockpuppet:
So say a driver is after £10/hour on agy.
What would the agy charge? I’d hazard a guess at £20/hour or there abouts.

Nowhere near that much, at least certainly not in this area (Yorkshire). I know for a fact one local agency which we used to do some work for was only charging the client £9.95/hour for the first 8 hours when LT was doing some Class2 work for them a while back, and of that we were getting £8.00/hour. I don’t think many are that cheap but there’s a lot of competition around here so it keeps the prices down. I think £12/hour basic for a C+E driver is about the going rate.

Paul

from memory when I was at wincanton 18 months ago, the average was;
£12.45 for 1st 8
£14.50 O/T and saturday
£19.50 sunday and B/h

I know this as I had to do the invoicing, and spreadsheet work

Driver Hire in Hull pay their drivers £7 basic, £8.85 O/T and charge out at £12hr basic and £18/hr after 8hrs and on nights.

Basically their costs are at least 20% more than they pay you per hr just to cover your holiday pay and the Employers NI they’re liable for on your wages.

So on £10/hr, they’ve got to be charging at least £12 just to break even on your wages. Add office costs and a profit margin of 10% and you’re up to around £15/hr.

So basically, work on at least 50% more than they pay you. Which is why it’s worth going Self Employed properly (not as S/E with agency where you get a pittance extra and they save a fortune) as I have as you can charge the thick end of that and you don’t have the overheads they do.

Agree with Connor…

I get £10 on days, but if I hold out will offer me £15, so…