Drink Driving

If you got caught driving while over the limit, would you be completely ashamed and want no-one to know about it, or would you shout it out from the roof tops?

I ask, as one of our drivers got caught recently and it seems he’s not remotely embarrssed by it.

Check out the articles;
LINK 1

LINK 2

My first reaction, as a non drinker, would be one of amazement and the second would be, who spiked my coffee? :wink: :smiley: :smiley:

I guess in your colleagues case he is showing no embarrassment because it has done him a favour and, unusually for someone who loses their licence, actually improved his life.

Funny old world innit, it’s probably saved his life.

Call me an old cynic, but if you were on medication for heart problems for 25 years, you would be having regular check ups with your doctor. So, things like this don’t just come out of nowhere & it wouldn’t be a great suprise.

Oh yeah, not to mention the fact that at some point in the last few years he would have had a medical to renew his HGV licence.

Beat me to it there mate :wink:

I am absolutely manic about drink/driving! I believe anyone caught doing this should be banned for life, especially if you are a so called professional driver!!

I speak not as a non drinker btw. I got done in 1975 and have been very anti d/d ever since.

In my opinion it should be a no alchohol policy if driving.

I used to work for a brewery and have come accross people who thought the two pint rule was all beers.

You would be amazed how many have been banned for a few micro mils over limit when not understanding strengths etc.

I know it is a bit bib and braces but you know where you stand with a no drink non drive rule…anyway thats just my opinion for what it is worth.

never drink and drive like the feeling that if i got pulled i would have nothing to worry about or worse got into an accident

thecoder0…speaks sense…this is not a matter of opinion …but a matter of good common sense…

Once again the hardore reality of life…is people will say one thing and be very much against drink driving…when they r away from the pub…
…Put them in the pub or a drink place…or even at home…few drinks…
…and like it was said…not realising the actual strength of some drinks…or how their body is actually absorbing the alcholol…(they think they know).
…they jump in their cars…(unaware…sometimes)…and go screw up somebody elses life…
…(and those around them)…or simply screw there own up…which can have a knock on effect…on their family and possibly the rest of us…

what mean by that…e.g. if one of us gets done…our job is gone for sure…that could lead things down an ugly path of destruction…
…person could end up turning to drugs…and we all know what that could mean…

A blanket ban…then u don’t have to worry about any limits…you have a sip…your over the limit…simple…

Life time bans wouldn’t work…u would just get more people driving illegally …

forgot to mention…the guys is screaming his head off…cos…the drink driving conviction…for him is a small problem compared to his real problem which he has suffered for years…getting caught…was a blessing…he probably wouldn’t have the same attitude had he injured or killed someone…he’s probably thought of this…but at the end of the day he didn’t…so that just the way it is…I would be same…

If I understood what Super Smiley was saying I might reply, it’s like trying to read braille with no fingers…c’mon fella, give people a chance!!!

Melchett:
If I understood what Super Smiley was saying I might reply, it’s like trying to read braille with no fingers…c’mon fella, give people a chance!!!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

melchett said

it’s like trying to read braille with no fingers… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

im not a big drinker but i do drink , i would say yes to a complete ban , but what about the next morning ■■ just a couple of beers and you could still have a trace in the morning , so does this mean no drinking for 24 hrs before driving ?

I would be the same as Neil, shocked to say the least, another non drinker i am afraid.

IMHO anybody that is caught deserves at least what they got and should feel ashamed, although i appreciate that being almost teetotal it’s easy to say.

Speeding / running bent etc are all naughties, but IMHO don’t compare to DD. I have had several “debates” in my time with the fools that tell me they can drive better drunk than sober

:confused:

scab-in-a-cab:
. I have had several “debates” in my time with the fools that tell me they can drive better drunk than sober

:confused:

i can danve better drunk :laughing: :laughing:

but apparently i cant tyrpe better :blush: :laughing:

In my humble opinion, drink driving is akin to pre-meditated murder. It impairs the senses even if you dont think it does, and if you are in charge of any vehicle you need all your wits about you on the roads. If you willingly disabilitate yourself with anything, including alcohol, then you are deliberately putting others at risk with a couldn’t care less attitude which is shameful. I am all for a total ban on drink driving.

yeah your quite right what the hell did i write…■■?

think my tea was spiked…i’m going to make another

Good to read the comments on this thread on D&D, but, if the plod were to sit outside ANY truckstop with bar facilities, and breathalysed every driver as they left in the morning, I’m sure that they would arrest at least 60% of the drivers.
The amount of choir practice I have seen going on at truckstops, I’m surprised that there Isn’t a driver shortage.

I must admit, if I’m driving (be it car/lorry) I don’t drink at all. I know that if I have a drink at lunch time I can start to feel light-headed, even after one. If I EVER run someone over or kill someone due to an accident, I want to know that there was NOTHING I could have done to avoid it.