Don`t let this happen to you!

On tuesday this week a colleague of mine was found to be over the drink /drive limit when breath tested after car park incident on his way home from the pub, he told us hed only popped in for a couple on his way home after work to meet up with a mate of his, on the way out some one stepped in front of him and he stopped but the guy fell onto his bonnet. someone called the cops and he was tested and found positive. To cut a long story short he had nothing to eat during the day because hed left his wallet in his glove box in his car! so he has no job now and is awaiting a ban. The gaffer gave him a right rollicking and told what a prat he was so now we `re on the look out for Class2 driver again.
cheers,
roy…

sorry roytheboy,if your mate is over the drink drive limit then i have no sympathy for him at all. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

as unfornunative as it is, the bottom line is… DONT DRINK at all if you intend to drive. you know the rules… drink and your driving lisence dont go together… :wink:

if thats the case then the law should be “no drink no drive” not allow you the safe limit or one or two drinks should keep you below the limit…that is putting you into the “it dont matter how many you have we will get you bregade”

oddsodz:
not allow you the safe limit or one or two drinks should keep you below the limit

There is no such thing as a safe limit, you may be OK one day with a couple the next you may not, as in this guys case where he hadn’t eaten all day. The only safe way is not to drink if you are going to drive and peopleshould be responsible enough to self police that rather than rely on ‘I should be OK with only a couple.’

That’s why in my previous posts I have said I don’t agree with a rigid drink driving law!

But where drink is concerned, and many tests have been done, it does lower your reaction abilities.

Like coffee said it can vary from day to day and person to person but you have to go with the lowest quantity of effect if you’re gonna draw a line otherwise those that can’t ‘handle their drink’ will be driving around pist.

A sobriety test would be a fairer law in my opinion.

But as the law stands now, I don’t drink and drive, not even a drop. I don’t want to loose my job!!

Where I and others that like a few on a night out have to be careful, is driving the following morning with alcohol still in the system.
I definitely feel OK, but that little meter will [zb] you, whether you’re OK or not if the reading is positive! :cry:

It’s weird. In my younger years and early days of driving I did a few stupid things like most of us do. I’d been in town with a few mates most of the day and we decided to abandon the car and go for a sesh. One of my mates downed one too many and started acting up which caused an argument and eventually a fight with some other guys and I came off worst.

Despite having been drinking average strength beers for most of the afternoon and evening with a few shorts mixed in in between I thought nothing of getting in the car and driving home. I felt a bit tipsy but it was only marginal; certainly didn’t feel drunk by any stretch of the imagination. However, knowing how many beers I’d actually consumed I figured that I would be over the limit. Drove home in the same manner I normally would but having a flash sporty car back in those days attracted the local constabulary’s attention like a magnet and yep, there they were in the mirror with the headlights going.

First thing the geezer asked was “had I been drinking”. Yep says I, I’ve had two pints of Fosters :grimacing: - which was actually true; I just failed to mention the other three and the shorts :grimacing: . Anyway, I was zebideeing myself because I love driving and also drove for a living back then too so keeping my licence was crucial. Out comes the gadgetry and waving bye-bye to my licence about to watch the LED’s disappear off the end of the scale I breathed into it. Green… Amber… R… no. Stayed on Amber :open_mouth:

Like I said at the start though, I didn’t feel drunk at all so maybe that’s why :question: Or maybe someone was looking out for me that day :question: :open_mouth:

Dont forget the Meter is only a guide, it’s the blood or urine test that decides whether your drunk or not.

Davey Driver:
it’s the blood or urine test that decides whether your drunk or not.

Not another case of drivers having the urine taken out of them? :wink: :smiley: :smiley: :laughing:

rob,i’v just read your post there and as you said you had luck on your side or someone was looking over you.maybe god had a sport’s car as well. :laughing: :laughing:

but it’s funny you mention this as i was talking to an eldis driver the other day there,(thursday) and he was telling me that he got pulled on a routine police check.he got the old breath test and it was on amber,he said that he had a skinful the nite b4 and he was bricken himself incase it went to red.

i thought why put yourself at risk for the sake of beer,is it really worth the hassel that this could cause you. :question:

i just wish that if people are going out on the drink that they would leave the car at home.that way the temptation of getting in your car at 3 in the morning and you can’t get a taxi straight away,the first thing that comes into their heads is sod it lets take the car.not thinking of the consiquences of there actions. :bulb:

i don’t drink ( except xmas and new year) and even then its only 2 pints.i have never known what it’s like to be completly rat arsed as i would never let myself get that way.i can go out for the nite and drive everyone home as i’m happy with fresh orange juice and lemonade,this is what i call being responsible.

like the rest roy mate, i echo exactly what they say mate drink and your licence just don’t go together.

i am of that opinion not just cause its the law, but from a personal experince. My grandad had a god daughter. She was only 17 at the time of the accident coming home one night in her boyfriends car. she was a bright really kind caring young girl, you know the sort every parent would be proud to call there own. She was an only child and really into horses and had a very bright future as a showjumper, actually doing it at county level and was on verge of being called up to trial for national team.

then the accident happened. like i said her and her boyfriend were on their way home, when passing a junction this muppet for want of a better word just came right out and ploughed into the passenger side where she was sitting and bang…her life nearly over before it had even begun. she was paralised from the neck down and on a ventilator for 3 months, the doctors said that she would get off the ventilator but would eventually die. i don’t remember what the condition exactly was but that was the case.

she comes off the ventilator and her parents start to think that she may actually prove the docs wrong, but sadly two months down the line she died in her sleep suddenly from heart failure. So these two very nice people have their one and only daughter taken away from them cause of an idiot. their whole world gone and too old to have anymore children as well.

the driver that crashed into them had only had 3 pints of lager his breath test was literally just over the 35mg limit…38 if memory serves me correct. 4 months after the death of his daughter, the dad passed away too many say he just gave up and couldn’t cope with life without " his little girl".

all this cause some ■■■■ thought he he’d have a couple and still drive anywyay. All through the trial his barrister defended him sayin he felt alright and he thought he was ok with 3 pints and did not feel intoxicated in anyway. didnt matter the jury found him guilty and he got 9 years for it anyway. the sentance would of been slightly lower to about 6 years because he was slightly over the limit, but by the time it got to crown court she had died and the judge was fully aware of the suffering and added extra to the sentance accordingly.

is it really worth takin the chance and possibly causing someone the same heartache and misery…well NO is the only and right answer to that.

this is not designed to have a dig at anyone or your mate roy, this just drawn on a personal experience mate so people can try to understand a bit of the misery drink drivers can cause. :frowning: :frowning:

I don’t drink if I’m going to drive, end of story.

I also never drink on a night-out up the road if I’m a break which is less that 11 hours.

It’s personal thing. Lost more than one good friend through this one.

I used to drink like a fish… got done in '75 and that didn’t stop me!!
Then one day I came to my senses … I haven’t drunk beer for over 10 years now!!
I like a glass of wine every now and then but if I am behind the wheel the next day then it is zero alcohol for me

Thanks guys , i wasnt trying to look for sympathy for my mate i know he can be a merchant banker at times , after further enquiries by my gaffer it turned out hed drunk rather more than he`d originally admitted to and argued with the cops so they locked him up for the night . He was apologetic to the Boss and blamed his personal life for his excessive drinking but the gaffer had no choice but to sack him. It certainly made me think about what i normally do on a night out , which is usually grab a few cans from the off licence to drink with my evening meal.
cheers
roy…

margatemafia:
then the accident happened. like i said her and her boyfriend were on their way home, when passing a junction this muppet for want of a better word just came right out and ploughed into the passenger side where she was sitting and bang…her life nearly over before it had even begun. she was paralised from the neck down and on a ventilator for 3 months,

Sorry to hear that mate.

This accident may not have happened because of drink though.

This bloke may have been just been a ‘muppet’ as you say, and crashed anyway who knows?!

DId he have a licence?

Three pints doesn’t make people behave like that, alcohol enters the equation and he’s a reckless ‘waz’ head, drink to blame :confused:

Not necessarily.

But when somebody dies you have to pay (eye for eye etc). On this occasion the ‘muppet’ was also on the wrong side of the drink drive law so he paid extra.

This to me shows drink may not be to blame, but if you have an accident and over the ‘legal’ limit their gonna fry your behind :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :open_mouth:

This to me shows drink may not be to blame, but if you have an accident and over the ‘legal’ limit their gonna fry your behind

too bloody right they should be fryed and the licence to,not this crap x amount of years ban plus fine.

if your over the limit through drink and your caught then tough,your licence should be removed for good.

its bad enough on they roads at the moment as everyone on here knows,without some person deciding to hit the road with booze in their system and they know that there over the limit.

so that is the drink issue delt with.
but what about the other, drugs :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
i know of quite a few blokes that dont think twice about skining up and having a chuff whilst driving, they consider them selfs safer drivers after a joint or two :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
how they think this is at safe whilst driving an artic i will never know.
when they started smoking in the rest room at the yard i had to go to bed, cause i didnt want it to effect my driving either when i went on shift that night or the following day, i got accused of all sorts of things maybe that is why my face didnt fit with some of them and they were always trying to drop me in it with the gaffer, oh by the way he knew it was going on and turned a blind eye :unamused: :unamused:
needless to say i wont be going back.
chris

kitkat:
too bloody right they should be fryed and the licence to,not this crap x amount of years ban plus fine.

if your over the limit through drink and your caught then tough,your licence should be removed for good.

Even if you’re only slightly over the limit :question: :exclamation: :frowning:
And your driving is not impaired to any degree to make you unsafe :question: :exclamation: :frowning:

My opinion like most I think, is, driving ‘drunk’ is BAaaad :exclamation:

However, the ‘limit’ is a ‘line’ and measures blood alochol content not your driving ability, reactions or safety awareness.

Wouldn’t a sobriety test be fairer??

Could also be applied to other drugs.

If not, why not??

robB39:

kitkat:

Even if you’re only slightly over the limit :question: :exclamation: :frowning:
And your driving is not impaired to any degree to make you unsafe :question: :exclamation: :frowning:

My opinion like most I think, is, driving ‘drunk’ is BAaaad :exclamation:

However, the ‘limit’ is a ‘line’ and measures blood alochol content not your driving ability, reactions or safety awareness.

Wouldn’t a sobriety test be fairer??

Could also be applied to other drugs.

If not, why not??

bit like what they do in america??
walking the line and touching your nose sort of thing■■?
but the same applys if you drive dont drink and take drugs 9 times out of 10 when the accident occurs it s not your fault but because you have tested positive and the other driver negative who is going to be accused of causing the accident?
i know who my money is one…
just a thought
chris

I was thinking more on the lines of test positive, arrested.
Off to station for a set of tests fail them, you’re weren’t fit to drive, banned.

Like I said as the law stands at the moment, drinking ANY alcohol and driving is unsafe for your license. If you’re living relies on it, then DON’T HAVE ANY!