Speeding & Drink driving review by Government

NEWSPAPER ARTICLE

I think there should be a very simple law - NO DRINKING & DRIVING

nice idea but certain foods will create alcohol in the bloodstream so u will always have a reading.

so the minister on skynews said :smiley: :smiley:

i totally agree with that. just had a quick look at the article and if you are doing a certain amount over the limit then you should get banned not points. 50 in a 30 is a stupid speed, i know everyone creeps over the limit now and again :wink: but 50 in a 30 you deserve to lose your licence. what about the schools and where kids are playing?

Just read this as well

Telegraph Comment:
Cars are SO uncomfortable when driven slowly.

The shock absorbers on modern cars are SO HARD at speeds lower than 60mph, that it’s VERY hard to drive at the lower limits.

I drive a £60,000 German effort, because I wanted to try to buy something that doesn’t bump and bang over even the smallest of road bumps.

But, even this car, with ‘so called’ adjustable suspension, is FAR TOO HARD for me to drive comfortably at low speeds.

Cars are mad to drive at BREAK-NECK speed around corners.
Until manufacturers are forced to make REALISTIC cars for the road, where you foot isn’t continually being bounced off the accellerator on uneven roads, then it will continue to be an absolute chore to drive below 60 mph.

what a ■■■■ he is, is this clown for real■■?

as for drink driving laws, I think they should have a minimal quantity for alcohol, if you are going to drive you should not have any alcohol in your blood but most people do because of things such as desserts after a meal (especially at xmas with brandy/port in the cake and puddings). Non of this namby pamby ban either. Take the car off them immediately and if found guilty in court crush it. A lot more people will think twice about it if their pride and joy is going to et crushed.

Its about time Britain got tough on all this. I wish the government would stop being so soft and bring in the law and tell people that is it, its happening and there is nothing you can do about it, just like they have done with the drivers CPC

neil46:
nice idea but certain foods will create alcohol in the bloodstream so u will always have a reading.

so the minister on skynews said :smiley: :smiley:

Ok, set limit to reflect the possibility of such things - it will still be a lot lower than present - probably equates to less than half a pint I would think.

ROG:
NEWSPAPER ARTICLE

People choose to drink and then drive the same as drivers choose to speed.
A licence and insurance is compulsory, we have no choice. Breaking the law is a choice, we dont have to do it.
Drivers are complaining about speed cameras, clamping etc. if you dont want to contribute to it dont.
I think also that anyone who looses their licence should have to re-take their driving test.
Its time the figure of 3000+ killed each year is reduced drastically.

Is it our social structure that is preventing progress on these issues :question:

Sensible speed limits and not using drivers as an extra revenue raiser, and the government will get more support. As for drink driving I don’t really know enough about reaction times, alcohol to blood levels and variations due to body mass etc, so I’ll just have to trust the great and good on this one, if they say the limits already suffice then who am I to argue?

Geoff Hoon, the Transport Secretary, is understood to have concluded that a more flexible approach to speeding was now required, allowing the police to focus their attention on the most dangerous drivers.

Personally I’d be more impressed if they focussed their attention on dealing with the crime rate and the yob culture that’s so prevalent in today’s society rather than focussing on the easy target that the motorist is :unamused:
Having said that the speed limit changes are probably a good idea especially where the excessive speeding is in a built up area.

As far as drink driving is concerned, is there any hard evidence to prove that alcohol plays a significant part in a large proportion of road accidents.
Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe that if a driver is over the limit when involved in an accident then the accident is statistically said to be drink related weather or not the alcohol played any significant part in the cause of the accident.

Perception and reaction times are definitely slowed by consuming alcohol but not as much as holding a phone conversation which is about 4 times more dangerous :exclamation: :exclamation:

Strange, we deplore drink driving but not something far worse…

ROG:
NEWSPAPER ARTICLE

would agree Rog

i think two many deaths on the road from drink

this is my epinon that if you kill someone thru drink you should be locked up for life

A LIFE OF A LIFE

Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe that if a driver is over the limit when involved in an accident then the accident is statistically said to be drink related weather or not the alcohol played any significant part in the cause of the accident

Correct, even if driver over the limit is stationary and the non drunk driver runs into the back of himat a set of red lights.

Statistics can be made to say anything, with all the anti motorist campaigns around nowadays quoting their various figures it is plain that someone MUST be lying , otherwise motorists are responsible for 199% of all accidents!!

Criminals who steal cars and race around in contempt of the police should face a life time driving ban, banned drivers caught driving should be jailed, 6 months ■■■■■■■■■■ for each offence should do it…