Drawbar Trailer lock's

Hi
I have recently placed an order for a Rigid & Drawbar combo, and was wondering if anyone know’s of anything on the market that is like a Kingpin lock but goes through the towing eye for when the trailer is not in use?

ryly1979:
Hi
I have recently placed an order for a Rigid & Drawbar combo, and was wondering if anyone know’s of anything on the market that is like a Kingpin lock but goes through the towing eye for when the trailer is not in use?

I use a D shaped motorbike lock ( that I bought years ago when I had a bike)

ryly1979:
Hi

To be honest, if nothing is on the market, i’m sure a local engineering company could manufacture something for your needs.

I worked with drawbars for years & never seen a tow eye lock. You need the right equipment to shift a drawbar. I should be interested in how many drawbar trailers have been nicked in the last few years. Semi’s ,yes but drawbars…?

Thank’s for the reply’s, I like the D Lock idea :slight_smile:
I would prefer to lock it when it is parked up as I would probably be the unlucky git that would get mine stolen(prevention is better than a cure and all that) :exclamation:

Depending on the size of the hole in your drawbar just about any heavy duty motorcycle chain could potentially do the job. Some of them are nigh on indestructable.

I don’t think you would ever stop someone determined with a lock through the eye though as I think I’m right in saying that the towing eyes usually just bolt on so if someone really wanted your trailer they could presumably just bring some spanners and a new eye with them and swap it over…

Paul

Use a section of Morris 1000 halfshaft with a hole burnt through the shaft and a big padlock, cheap as chips!

repton:
Depending on the size of the hole in your drawbar just about any heavy duty motorcycle chain could potentially do the job. Some of them are nigh on indestructable.

I don’t think you would ever stop someone determined with a lock through the eye though as I think I’m right in saying that the towing eyes usually just bolt on so if someone really wanted your trailer they could presumably just bring some spanners and a new eye with them and swap it over…

Paul

That would also work with a Semi trailer kingpin too, just unbolt the pin and bolt a new one on. You only need one spanner

repton:

Paul

Mines held on with 6 or 9 Allen bolts so not impossible but they would need to be prepared !

Like Harry , I’d be interested to know how many are ever stolen !

Wheel Nut:
That would also work with a Semi trailer kingpin too, just unbolt the pin and bolt a new one on. You only need one spanner

My kingpin lock has a plate that covers the bolts to stop that.

Paul

Like the other guy’s have said, I dont think there is a ready made lock on the market but again as others have said it’s not too difficult to sort one out, mine is made from an old JCB bucket pin and a heavy duty padlock, probably good enough against the opportunist but not too hot against someone who’s come prepared.
Another thing to bear in mind is insurance , our insurance specify that when the trailer is left unattended away from base it must be fitted with a security device although if it was nicked I dont know how they would prove it was or was’nt fitted .