Drawbar trailers in laybys

Don’t these things get nicked then? There’s loads of them dotted about in laybys, I can understand why they get left but they look a bit easily stealable to me.

They’re usually empty by then though, the trailer is normally tipped 1st.

Doesn’t stop the trailer being nicked, but usually no goods stolen.

8wheels:
Don’t these things get nicked then? There’s loads of them dotted about in laybys, I can understand why they get left but they look a bit easily stealable to me.

Not as easy to nick as a normal trailer as not too many lorries over this side of the channel got the right coupling. Just my opinion though :wink:

Also there are different couplings, size of pin and coupling eye can differ so not as simple as a artic to just back under and go.

For years now I’ve left mine in laybys and industrial estates all over the country with no problems at all. The one time I did have a problem was when it was left in a truckstop , lost led’s of the back and 2 or 3 straps and ratchets out of a small locked toolbox that was mounted on the chassis. No proof but almost certainly another driver. :imp: :imp:
The trailer it’s self is pretty safe cos as the other guy’s have said there are different drawbar lenghts,different pin sizes and different air line couplings.
My company’s insurance also stipulate that a locking device is placed through the towing eye any time I leave the trailer unattended.

On this subject, when I’m due a break, don’t think a few cones will stop me parking infront of the trailer…

Muckaway:
On this subject, when I’m due a break, don’t think a few cones will stop me parking infront of the trailer…

ditto, had 5 minutes left the other day and the only layby for the next 10 miles was full except for a space in front of a drawbar trailer, obviously i took up that space :grimacing: take your trailer to your drops you lazy ■■■■■, dont dump em in laybys, if you want to inconvenience other drivers then be prepared for some of us to return the favour :wink:

Muckaway:

Yeah too ■■■■■■■ right!

Well if it’s an a frame you can fill the air tanks, take off the shunt break and pull the a frame to the side. I do that if it’s a bit tight to get it out.

bubsy06:

Muckaway:

ditto, had 5 minutes left the other day and the only layby for the next 10 miles was full except for a space in front of a drawbar trailer, obviously i took up that space :grimacing: take your trailer to your drops you lazy [zb], dont dump em in laybys, if you want to inconvenience other drivers then be prepared for some of us to return the favour :wink:

Not always possable, I have had a few runs doing farm drops where ive emptied trailer but then had to drop it somewhere as next drop/s can only be accessed by a 4 wheeler.

On the few occassions i have to leave my trailer in a layby (usually i try to drop it as close to the site as possible) i take the suzies and the airline off and take them with me, makes it harder to steal if you dont have the right fittings :smiley:

Now on the subject of parking in front of trailers although i cant condone it i can see why this happens, if the trailer has been left slap bang in the middle of busy layby then your just asking for trouble. I always try to leave mine at the very end of the layby, hopefully a quiet one, leaving just enough space in front for me to squeeze in and hitch up.

Despite this i have returned on the odd occassion to find a car parked in front, even though there’s plenty of space behind :imp:

Grayham:
On the few occassions i have to leave my trailer in a layby (usually i try to drop it as close to the site as possible) i take the suzies and the airline off and take them with me, makes it harder to steal if you dont have the right fittings :smiley:

Now on the subject of parking in front of trailers although i cant condone it i can see why this happens, if the trailer has been left slap bang in the middle of busy layby then your just asking for trouble. I always try to leave mine at the very end of the layby, hopefully a quiet one, leaving just enough space in front for me to squeeze in and hitch up.

Despite this i have returned on the odd occassion to find a car parked in front, even though there’s plenty of space behind :imp:

thats the way to do it, stops me from parking my artic in front :laughing:

I always assumed that they were all universal type couplings and fairly easy to steal. Still surprised that some of the empty flats don’t get nicked by someone with a Hiab.

bubsy06:
: take your trailer to your drops you lazy [zb], dont dump em in laybys, if you want to inconvenience other drivers then be prepared for some of us to return the favour :wink:

the layby may be the nearest safe place to the drop that the trailer can get :wink:

Denis F:

bubsy06:
: take your trailer to your drops you lazy [zb], dont dump em in laybys, if you want to inconvenience other drivers then be prepared for some of us to return the favour :wink:

the layby may be the nearest safe place to the drop that the trailer can get :wink:

ahh got ya, must be a ■■■■■ of a job if you have to do that tho, what if your drop is 15 miles away and you have to double back to get your trailer, thats an extra 30 miles on your journey :open_mouth:

bubsy06:
ahh got ya, must be a ■■■■■ of a job if you have to do that tho, what if your drop is 15 miles away and you have to double back to get your trailer, thats an extra 30 miles on your journey :open_mouth:

I try to get nearer than that :wink:

Denis F:

bubsy06:

cant you just jacknife the trailer so you can get to the back of the truck or are the drops on bays or really tight?

bubsy06:

Denis F:

bubsy06:

cant you just jacknife the trailer so you can get to the back of the truck or are the drops on bays or really tight?

the bays at the abbatoir are ok , I have front doors on the trailer and just run the sheep through, it’s getting in the farms to load that’s the problem !!

bubsy06:

Grayham:

Perhaps when said driver left his trailer “slap bang in the middle of the layby” it was the only space available ?
Imo , If half the drivers could park properly, there would be twice as many spaces.

Suedehead:

bubsy06:

Grayham:

Perhaps when said driver left his trailer “slap bang in the middle of the layby” it was the only space available ?
Imo , If half the drivers could park properly, there would be twice as many spaces.

its the car drivers that ■■■■ it up, they never park as far forward as they can