Drawbars

Hello all
Got a call yesterday begging me to do a night out as somebody had let them down badly.Never stayed out all night before (in a truck) but was promised Nirvana and a life full of nubile virgins. Also, its in a wagon and drag which I’ve never touched before.
Has anyone got any advice on this set up before I depart on Monday? I’ve got 6 drops in Kent. I’m a strictly artic man so far and am a bit apprehensive to say the least.
C

close coupled or A frame ?

Hi Denis
Absolutely no idea!
Won’t know 'till I get there I guess.
Whats the difference and what’s the proceedure for coupling on both types compared to a unit and trailer?
C

a frame was made by the devil to punish us all :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

seriously at any half decent firm one of the lads will show you the crack with their trailers as there are many variations on the theme
make sure that they are paying parking fees before you go as theres nowt worse than forking out your own money and not getting it back

I was told by ROG that A Frames should be reversed like a Rigid and that works.

Sort of - but they are inclined to have amind of their own.

‘Normal’ drawybars are pretty easy and follow you really nice and reverse nicely too but make sure you dont oversteer. And NEVER put a big bend on them when reversing.- They can snap the ‘eye’ I learned that one the hard way.

Sockpuppet:

Correct.
When reversing,steer the dolly to steer the trailer,dont’t try and steer the trailer as you would an artic.Whereas with an artic you turn the steering wheel the “opposite” way,with a drawbar,you turn the steering wheel the “normal” way.Very easy to oversteer until you get used to it.

Can’t add to what’s been said without going into very great detail regarding basic principles etc. But I do think that, in this age of H&S being carried to ridiculous lengths, it is outrageous to legally let an inexperienced driver loose on a drawbar (not a caravan, I refuse to call them ‘normal’, they are just short artics :smiling_imp: Long tractor, short trailer, but still artics).
They are complicated pieces of kit and need a lot of understanding.

Thanks all…
Just got back - it was a “caravan” as described above! I tow a caravan (shouldn’t have mentioned that on here perhaps) and that is exactly how it behaves. No probs at all.
What they neglected to tell me when they offered me the job was that three of the drops were London! I don’t do London except for sight seeing trips… and I won’t get caught out again. Got lost in Romford and Enfield (twice) both at rush hour and must have spent 3 or 4 hours queueing on the M25 over the course of one day.
Welcome to the real world eh!
C