Kingpin release handle

Hi was wondering if anyone can help tried backing under a trailer today and the kinvpin release handle had jumped back in and keeps on doing it wont stay in the open notch. What can i do?

Take it to the garage. Something has worn, and needs checking. Unless you are a fitter, of course…

Yeah thats what i thought just wonderd thats all. Cheers

i check this as part of walkround for lastcouple years as being agency driver a company tried to blame me once for backing under too hard and breaking it, i knew full well who it was but he denied it so i wouldnt for them again and they had offered me full time hee hee no thanks secured mail your kit is well below par

Usually a worn jaw detent which holds the sliding bar open.As the king pin hits the rolling jaw it turns on its pivot and displaces the detent and the springs pull the interlock bar across locking the jaws shut around the pin.If the jaw or interlock bar get worn the springs will pull the bar over and you cant lock the jaw open.

Jaw kits are about 90 quid but you got to take the table off to replace them.

Before you start buying jaw kits make sure the jaw detent spring isnt broken.
look under the 5th wheel and look for a short spring hanging down
It pulls the jaw back to lock out the sliding bar when you drop a trailer.

To be honest, and this comes from a fitter turned driver. Leave it and let the workshop have a look at it. If in doubt n all that. There not things to be messed about with. Never mind what supertruckers say on here.

440Mopar:
To be honest, and this comes from a fitter turned driver. Leave it and let the workshop have a look at it. If in doubt n all that. There not things to be messed about with. Never mind what supertruckers say on here.

Its a 5th wheel not a nuclear reactor.

Bking:

440Mopar:

While thats true, it’s also something that has potential to cause huge problems if a halfwit gets it wrong.

Bking:
Usually a worn jaw detent which holds the sliding bar open.As the king pin hits the rolling jaw it turns on its pivot and displaces the detent and the springs pull the interlock bar across locking the jaws shut around the pin.If the jaw or interlock bar get worn the springs will pull the bar over and you cant lock the jaw open.

Surprised someone of you caliber can’t overhaul the jaws without removing the plate.

Own Account Driver:

Bking:

Surprised someone of you caliber can’t overhaul the jaws without removing the plate.

Unlike yourself I think you got to get it right.

Own Account Driver:

Bking:

No doubt a genius like you can
But unfortunately I havent reached your standards yet

No its not a nuclear reactor, just making the point, from a drivers point of view, they shouldn’tbe messed about with if you don’t know what your doing. There’s no point waffling on about locking plates and jaws on here ,its a drivers forum not a fitters forum, i would hate it for some well meaning driver try fixing one ,jamming bars in ,forcing this and that. Think its sorted, then take it down the road and…disaster. Then there,d be thread on here about the idiot with the trailer off on the M25 and trucknet CSI are all over it.

And vosa ■■■■■■■ him from behind

I always do major repairs on the fifth wheel with some spit and a couple of spoons!

pompeymark:
Hi was wondering if anyone can help tried backing under a trailer today and the kinvpin release handle had jumped back in and keeps on doing it wont stay in the open notch. What can i do?

get someone to hold it open for you and ram it from 6 inches out…how hard would that be■■?

[/quote=biking]
[/quote]
It is what secures 35 tons from coming loose and causing unimaginable carnage. It shouldn’t be tampered with by ANYONE who has not been properly trained

iceman1:
i check this as part of walkround for lastcouple years as being agency driver a company tried to blame me once for backing under too hard and breaking it, i knew full well who it was but he denied it so i wouldnt for them again and they had offered me full time hee hee no thanks secured mail your kit is well below par

Do they still have that run-down depot in Crick, or did Nobbies buy out that yard as well?

dieseldog999:
…get someone to hold it open for you and ram it from 6 inches out…

Shouldn’t this be in the “Most memorable night out” thread, or have I got the wrong end of the stick? :laughing:

Contraflow:

dieseldog999:
…get someone to hold it open for you and ram it from 6 inches out…

Shouldn’t this be in the “Most memorable night out” thread, or have I got the wrong end of the stick? :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: brilliant