Dont know if this is true or not

heard a story sometime ago, i used to work with this guy in an engineering firm in northern irelnad and the guy previous did allot of european work, he was awy for months at a time…
it goes like this, at a truck stop that he was staying the night at, there was a 45 foot trailer carrying a full load of beef, and it was all hanging up from the roof in the in the freezer or fridge, what ever it was, the driver woke in the morning to see that all the beef was stolen for the trailer, and were chatting full cows, (very heavy) how did they do this… the driver was gassed because when he woke all his rings watches wallet, passport, was all stolennn

terrible thing to happen if true…

No idea about whether the specifics of the tale are true, but the gassing part could well be. Happened to me a couple of years ago in Huntingdon - there’s post about it somewhere if you search.

It happened to me in Italy. They got 2 sides of beef off as I was sleeping in a Pavasi parking. I woke up when they dropped a side of beef in the trailer & then with the doors open the fridge started roaring away. Slammed the back doors & took off !!

Had it done to me in Poland with hanging pork - big old sows that weighed as much as beef quarters but they still got 6 of them off without waking me. I’d just made that discovery when the fridge stopped 'cos they had had all the diesel from the fridge and the unit. Oh cheers, boys! :imp:

But it was difficult to get too mad about it as in those days life for the people in the communist bloc countries was really bad so I just did one of our ‘repair jobs’ to the seal, got some fuel and conned the boys at Iberia Catering in Madrid airport - it was a regular run we had - into getting confused with the count and got a clean signature on the CMR.

So that was alright, then. :slight_smile:

There was a whole lot more to my story but it goes on & on.Before I took off I ( 02.00 ) asked the Pavasi canteen jockey to call the police. They caught me up a few clicks down the Autostrada ,pulled me on to the hard shoulder ( I thought I had a little mafia inside.) & stood at the back with machine guns while I opened the back doors…Lucky for everybody there was only meat in there… :smiley: They had taken 2 sides of beef & 2 sides of veal. When I got back my govnor said if it happens again leave the truck & make a run for it :laughing: It happened again but I was loaded with my back load of spuds. I was parked on the North bound side of the autostrada. The trick the guys going South with meat would use was to spin round to the North bound side to sleep. Our orders were that ,coming from the UK , to park on the French side of the border . Take a big legal rest, then do the Italian customs & go non-stop to the unloading point . But it was often multi-drop US air bases so that didnt always work after the first drop.
In Italy with a fridge I have even had the back doors opened in the middle of the day waiting at traffic lights in cute little villages. Lucky I was empty.

I used to pick up biscuits from the McVities factory in Tollcross Glasgow.
Before they built a new spur road into the rear of the factory we had to leave through a council estate. Nearly everytime you went through some little nomarks would jump on the back of the trailer and open the doors to pull a few boxes off while you were still moving.
The trick was if you timed it right, wait till they had jumped on the rear bar and quickly hit the brakes, plenty of sore noses and little weegies cursing you as you turned on to London road to go along to the M74.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

harry:
There was a whole lot more to my story but it goes on & on.Before I took off I ( 02.00 ) asked the Pavasi canteen jockey to call the police. They caught me up a few clicks down the Autostrada ,pulled me on to the hard shoulder ( I thought I had a little mafia inside.) & stood at the back with machine guns while I opened the back doors…Lucky for everybody there was only meat in there… :smiley: They had taken 2 sides of beef & 2 sides of veal. When I got back my govnor said if it happens again leave the truck & make a run for it :laughing: It happened again but I was loaded with my back load of spuds. I was parked on the North bound side of the autostrada. The trick the guys going South with meat would use was to spin round to the North bound side to sleep. Our orders were that ,coming from the UK , to park on the French side of the border . Take a big legal rest, then do the Italian customs & go non-stop to the unloading point . But it was often multi-drop US air bases so that didnt always work after the first drop.
In Italy with a fridge I have even had the back doors opened in the middle of the day waiting at traffic lights in cute little villages. Lucky I was empty.

It could only be worse driving through Liverpool :smiling_imp:

northernirishinlpool:
heard a story sometime ago, i used to work with this guy in an engineering firm in northern irelnad and the guy previous did allot of european work, he was awy for months at a time…
it goes like this, at a truck stop that he was staying the night at, there was a 45 foot trailer carrying a full load of beef, and it was all hanging up from the roof in the in the freezer or fridge, what ever it was, the driver woke in the morning to see that all the beef was stolen for the trailer, and were chatting full cows, (very heavy) how did they do this… the driver was gassed because when he woke all his rings watches wallet, passport, was all stolennn

terrible thing to happen if true…

not worksop by any chance was it.

David5l:
[quote=It could only be worse driving through Liverpool :smiling_imp:

I tink not! Bradford is such a respectable area!