Does anyone remember the BBC documentary about hauliers!

This was the one where a BBC crew tried to keep up with MacKelvies and Sam Anderson drivers.

Do you mean a Panorama documentary called “Limits of the law” ?.
If so, you can get it on dvd from Topruns site mate.Got one meself a couple of weeks ago and it shows how a Brs driver couldnt do Glasgow to Soton legally
but Mackelvies drivers could :confused: :open_mouth:

That’s funny, I was thinking about that the other day when I saw the bit about Andersons on another thread. The crew were trying to follow a wagon down from Scotland and back but lost him for about four or five hours in the black country where he’d swoppped a trailer. They caught up with him again a bit further up the Motorway and he was on about twenty two hours by then. :open_mouth: (probably had a kip when they lost him though) :laughing:

That incident with Sam Andersons, was filmed by a World in Action Team.
The Driver was Tommy Sneddon, his son runs fridge wagons out of Airdrie.

The McKelvie story was about them running from Paisley to Appleton Thorn & back in single shift.

Dave.

davemackie:

The McKelvie story was about them running from Paisley to Appleton Thorn & back in single shift.

Dave.

can you get that one about sam andersons ?.
oh ■■■■ !,whats the full address of that topruns site,i got no patience.

I remember that programme.
There was a parcel carrier involved as well but his name escapes me.He did some mileage in a day running as far as Campbelltown every day IIRC. Anyone recall his name?

I’d love to get hold of these programmes too - if anyone knows where we can buy copies please post a link!

Cheers

Ryan

Chris Webb:
I remember that programme.
There was a parcel carrier involved as well but his name escapes me.He did some mileage in a day running as far as Campbelltown every day IIRC. Anyone recall his name?

It was a company called West Coast Motor Service, red Bedford Tks from
Campbeltown doing multidrops/collections around Glasgow area.

I first met Tommy “Sailor” Sneddon, back in the early 1970.s. It was round about the time that he played a starring role in that documentary.He lost the film crew somewhere in Brum, where he tipped and then set off back on the second leg of his rather long driving day.The last time that I saw him was about 5 years ago, he was still doing his bit for Anderson,s. shunting in one of the Rolling Mills. It also happened to be the week in which his Mother celebrated her 100th Birthday. A great bloke.Lang may yer lum reek Sailor.

Was there not one about a ■■■■■■■■ Cattle Float,a Film Crew tried to follow him and had to give up in the end.not sure might be mistaken it for something else.

I remember pulling into Lesmahagow at about seven o’clock one dark night and as I drove onto the lorry park I was greeted by a couple of bright floodlights shining straight towards me through the windscreen. I was dazzled that much that I had to stop as I couldn’t see where I was going. I heard a voice shout “no don’t stop, keep on going” but I refused to move and I opened the drivers door to get out to see what was going on. Just then some of the lights went off and I could see that there were cameramen and sound recorders stood around with one of those long microphones with a foam cover over the end.
It turns out that they were making a television programme about a driver from Somerset with a brick wagon on his way to Scotland. This would of been about mid 1990 ish :confused: can anybody recall seeing that one :laughing: .

mushroomman:
I remember pulling into Lesmahagow at about seven o’clock one dark night and as I drove onto the lorry park I was greeted by a couple of bright floodlights shining straight towards me through the windscreen. I was dazzled that much that I had to stop as I couldn’t see where I was going. I heard a voice shout “no don’t stop, keep on going” but I refused to move and I opened the drivers door to get out to see what was going on. Just then some of the lights went off and I could see that there were cameramen and sound recorders stood around with one of those long microphones with a foam cover over the end.
It turns out that they were making a television programme about a driver from Somerset with a brick wagon on his way to Scotland. This would of been about mid 1990 ish :confused: can anybody recall seeing that one :laughing: .

ye i can seddon atki strato painted blue with red wheels :question: revman

revman:

mushroomman:

ye i can seddon atki strato painted blue with red wheels :question: revman

Keedwells?

I had this film on video cassette untill quite recently, had a vhs clearout and threw it by mistake, i last watched it a couple of years ago, it was quite nostalgic. The strato-cruiser belonged to an owner operator from the west country, the filmcrew were with him all the way to scotland, as you say ,they stopped at lesmahagow, where the film crew also spoke with several other drivers, mainly iceland foods night trunk drivers, one of them , talked like he was as bent as a nine bob note, dont know if it was just banter, but at this time i was night trunking myself, leeds to stepps 5 nights a week, this same character could be heard on the cb, between beatock and lesmahagow nearly every night, i cant for the life of me remember what he called himself… they also interviewed Graham Cordiner at his home, then drove south with him after he had loaded baxters soup’s, in his brand new G reg scania, the one he had converted into an early long-line, was a great documentry, 20 years on, and i was gutted when i realised that i’d binned it :imp: :imp: :frowning:

Jerry

I was talking to the driver of graham cordiners scania who takes it to shows in june,who said that he had cancer and wasn’t interested in the scania anymore.

davemackie:

Dave.

I DO DALRY AND BACK EVRY DAY

jerry truckartist:
I had this film on video cassette untill quite recently, had a vhs clearout and threw it by mistake, i last watched it a couple of years ago, it was quite nostalgic. The strato-cruiser belonged to an owner operator from the west country, the filmcrew were with him all the way to scotland, as you say ,they stopped at lesmahagow, where the film crew also spoke with several other drivers, mainly iceland foods night trunk drivers, one of them , talked like he was as bent as a nine bob note, dont know if it was just banter, but at this time i was night trunking myself, leeds to stepps 5 nights a week, this same character could be heard on the cb, between beatock and lesmahagow nearly every night, i cant for the life of me remember what he called himself… they also interviewed Graham Cordiner at his home, then drove south with him after he had loaded baxters soup’s, in his brand new G reg scania, the one he had converted into an early long-line, was a great documentry, 20 years on, and i was gutted when i realised that i’d binned it :imp: :imp: :frowning:

Jerry

I have a copy of this…it features chris marriot and a keedwells driver named nigel who go from somerset to motherwell with 2 loads of bricks…they stopped overnight at lesmahagow and chris got hammered.It also featured graham cordiner with his impressive scania 143 and it featured a woman called…kay and she had a metallic pink scania 142 on bulk grain work…very good programme…it is called KINGS OF THE RIG if antbody is interested.