Dodgy operator

I have a query, am I right in my assumption that someone who is currently bankrupt cannot hold an operators licence?

I bumped into an old mate the other day who told me that a guy we both used to work for is running his own company again even though he was bankrupt when he applied for his O licence (which was granted in June 2006 while he was still bankrupt) and has since been made bankrupt again in April of this year. In 1998 he was made the subject of a 10 year bankruptcy order and was running 8 trucks for a major transport company at the time ( I won’t say which one but they started in Australia and I think the blokes name was Thomas) without any O licence at all, he got away with that after being called in front of the Traffic Commisioner and promising he wouldn’t do it again. Each time he has been made bankrupt he has been operating some form of transport company.

I have checked out the above with the online searches facilities for the Insolvency Service and VOSA so I know all the details to be correct, the guy has a current licence for two operating centres totalling 6 vehicles and 3 trailers - this cannot be correct - can it■■?

I was amazed when I found this out to be correct as we are all fed a diet on a weekly basis of ridding the industry of cowboy operators, if the above example is not that of Bronco Trucking Ltd. I don’t know what is.

I always thought that you had to declare items like bankruptcy when applying for an O licence and it was the “good repute” part that then stung people.
I have noticed in the magazines that the TC’s are picking up on companies/individuals who keep going bankrupt and reinventing themselves with a new name.
May be they just lied on the application !! :smiling_imp:

Not impossible that the companies could all be in family and friends names, with him just been “a member of staff”.

I think you should at least give a clue in case any of us end up working for him, with that kind of financial acumen you would’nt want to be owed 20p off him.

The companies have all been in this guys name and his current licence also, he is also the named transport manager, it would not be ethical to name the culprits here but if you pm me I will tell you, you are only about 10 miles from them if your in Lichfield.

Thanks for P.M. Brados.

Will stay well clear of them not good at all.
I would like to know how he is doing it as well must be more than a little white lie on the application form.

Well as you can see from his licence - all in his name, surely VOSA do actually check these things out - don’t they■■?

I won’t say which one but they started in Australia and I think the blokes name was Thomas

I do believe his name was Thompson, he didnt do any international at the time and he was heavilly into Transport.

if you pm me I will tell you, you are only about 10 miles from them if your in Lichfield.

Do tell (PM it if you want)… I’m just down the road aswell. Wouldnt be that bloke running out of South Staffs that did a runner by any chance would it?