Do you stick to speed limit?

This subject has been here before I am sure, but my question is in several parts…

Do you stick to speed limits yes/no?

What do you hope to gain?

Do you know what it costs(speeding)?

Do you actually care, after all we are all supposed to be professional drivers, the reason for the question is the amount of drivers on a daily basis I have come past me on A roads, & B roads, in cars buses trucks etc.

with new speeding fines due soon, if you get banned from driving, its a retest, all for gaining at most minutes on a days speeding.

Oh one last question for all the flak I am bound to get, If I was driving in excess of the speed limit (and God forbid) hit another vehicle with your relatives/friends in and it could be proved that if i was inside the speed limit it could be avoided, would this change the response of your post.

Thanks in advance for your replies, please try to be constructive

1. I drive at or below the posted speed limit for the road im on. Its a limit not a minimum speed to be aiming for.

2. I get paid by the hour, and get paid to ensure the load / truck gets to my tip and back in the same condition it left in.

3. Yes, my licence (circa £2k + loss of earnings)

4. More wages, by driving at the limit, not above it

5. Yes i care, what image do you think we set to other drivers (cars / vans) if us professional drivers are seen flouting the law? it also doesnt help us when you get some fool in a truck driving right up the bumper of the car infront. (Ive had this quite a few times when in the car).

6. Wouldnt change my opinion, as i would have been under the limit anyway :smiley:

YES.

But I was not always a ‘good boy’ - in my early to mid twenties I accumilated the full 12 points and had to plead in court :open_mouth: - all the speeding was done deliberately in a 7.5 tonner - I thought my boss would appreciate me more - WRONG :exclamation: :exclamation:

As my advanced examiner says - “There is speeding and there is SPEEDING” - what he means is that going slightly over and immediately correcting it is technically speeding but going over the limit and doing nothing about it is really speeding.

The excuse that comes up regular is - ‘I don’t have time to glance at my speedo cos I have to take my eyes of the road ahead’ - Yeah, right :exclamation:

BigJon:

1. I drive at or below the posted speed limit for the road im on. Its a limit not a minimum speed to be aiming for.

2. I get paid by the hour, and get paid to ensure the load / truck gets to my tip and back in the same condition it left in.

3. Yes, my licence (circa £2k + loss of earnings)

4. More wages, by driving at the limit, not above it

5. Yes i care, what image do you think we set to other drivers (cars / vans) if us professional drivers are seen flouting the law? it also doesnt help us when you get some fool in a truck driving right up the bumper of the car infront. (Ive had this quite a few times when in the car).

6. Wouldnt change my opinion, as i would have been under the limit anyway :smiley:

Ditto…

Thanks Big Jon, saved me typing that lot out :smiley:

I try not to speed, I’ve discovered by driving like a vicar in ballet pumps, I can get an extra 130 miles a tank out of my car which is a whole 2 return trips to work. I get to work safely albeit slower and it saves me money!! I got the speed demon out of my system years ago by driving Military Police cars in Germany on blue light runs at high speed. Plus with there being no speed limit on the autobahn, I could put my foot down!! We’re not allowed to speed in our patrol cars, even if we’re responding to an incident, our cars are fitted with trackers so our control room know where we are at any given time and at what speed we’re travelling. I have a clean licence and have never received a speeding ticket in 22 years of driving of which I’m quite proud. :wink:

Oh for Gods’ sake.
Another bloody post so that people can say “look at me, look how pious I am”.
Well you’re not. If anyone can come on here and say they’ve never once broken the speed limits then they’re a LIAR.
I speed, I speed every time I get in a vehicle. I speed in places where I judge it’s safe to, judgement that has come with over 27 years accident free driving. 40mph on a clear dry summer morning with no traffic up the A9 is ridiculous. I don’t give a rats ■■■ if it’s the law. The law in this particular case is wrong. 30mph past a newsagent near a school is not breaking the limit, but it’s too fast for the conditions.
See, I know when it’s prudent to slow down, but I’m also a grown up so I will use my judgement as to my use (misuse) of speed.
And yes, before you start whining about me killing a family of 50 church goers on their people carrier, I know the law and I know the consequences, so wind your necks in.

yes most of the time

Yes I do, no need to speed does not do you any favors

you will never gain anything but stress, cos if you speed and do a job and get there quick one day there will expect it all the time

your livelihood your job and if ever for bid you kill some though speed you will have to live with it for ever

yes i do care, you gain a licence to drive and can drive some big trucks,that can and do kill,

IMO its your choice to speed, and if you do then you deserve all that you get,

Del

There will always be those that THINK they know better and those that CAN drive safer at a higher limit but the problem is seperating the two.

Should we do away with posted limits and give each driver a seperate limit for each road based on their ability to drive safely :question:
How would we determine which driver can do what :question:
How would we ensure those that were only allowed a lower limit did not go faster than they can safely cope with :question:

It would be impossible so that is why the posted limits reflect what the average driver should be able to cope with during average traffic and road conditions.

Auto delete time.

that moaster, sounds like your a REAL pro, let me know when your coming this way ill pull over and wait for aftershock to pass, thought i typed constructive replies please, oh well guess i would attract some neg…

Thanks for the other replies

The Govenment is targeting posted speed limits because they can be monitered with cheap road side tachnology instead of expensive traffic cops.
So the simple minded driver thinks okay as long as I obey the limit I’m safe, after all that’s the impression given by all the publicity.
But you’re not. you’re only safe if you are reading the road and making correct judgments about the speed and course of action for every hazard you encounter.

I see people everyday obeying the speed limit but they really are a menace. They drive to fast in a busy high street with loads of parked cars and pedestrians, but they don’t drive fast enough on a slip road to make a nice transition onto a dual carriageway or they don’t understand what lane they should be in on a roundabout or they fail to read the road ahead and arrive at a hazard and have to make some sudden manourve, which has a chain reaction all the way down the road because all the driver following them also weren’t readin the raod and giving themselves a bit of space.

But of course it’s alright, they are obeying the speed limit. :unamused:

In the UK, yep I stick to the limits, seems daft not too with the state of driving and the abundance of cameras. I did sail through the roadworks on the M62 around Goole a bit over speed a few weeks ago. but not sure average speed cameras bother me much :smiley:

In Denmark were I work, we all speed out of town on A roads, most are above 90kph trucks and cars when it should be 80kph. In towns and motorways we do seem to obey.

In Poland were I live, er no, not really, everyman for him or herself, wacky races, but I trust them more than the English car driver. All the cameras I have seen have had the lens painted, but they are always Police out with speed traps.

muckles:
The Govenment is targeting posted speed limits because they can be monitered with cheap road side tachnology instead of expensive traffic cops.
So the simple minded driver thinks okay as long as I obey the limit I’m safe, after all that’s the impression given by all the publicity.
But you’re not. you’re only safe if you are reading the road and making correct judgments about the speed and course of action for every hazard you encounter.

I see people everyday obeying the speed limit but they really are a menace. They drive to fast in a busy high street with loads of parked cars and pedestrians, but they don’t drive fast enough on a slip road to make a nice transition onto a dual carriageway or they don’t understand what lane they should be in on a roundabout or they fail to read the road ahead and arrive at a hazard and have to make some sudden manourve, which has a chain reaction all the way down the road because all the driver following them also weren’t readin the raod and giving themselves a bit of space.

Seems you’re making an assumption that just because some of us choose to observe the speed limits we are then guilty of your above mentioned faults. Just like you and others, I regard myself as a competent professional driver who is capable of reading the road conditions and any surrounding inherent dangers. I am pefectly able to adjust my behaviour to suit those conditions and remain within the law. As Rog pointed out there may be an instance when exceeding the speed limit may be necessary to avoid a situation, but tats life; I just don’t make a habit of it.

I dont regard myself as a ‘2-dimensional’ driver and I doubt any of the other posters do either.

Why reg:

muckles:

Seems you’re making an assumption that just because some of us choose to observe the speed limits we are then guilty of your above mentioned faults. Just like you and others, I regard myself as a competent professional driver who is capable of reading the road conditions and any surrounding inherent dangers. I am pefectly able to adjust my behaviour to suit those conditions and remain within the law. As Rog pointed out there may be an instance when exceeding the speed limit may be necessary to avoid a situation, but tats life; I just don’t make a habit of it.

I dont regard myself as a ‘2-dimensional’ driver and I doubt any of the other posters do either.

No I’m not, because then I’d be judging myself the same way, as I do pretty much stick to the limits and in some situations I’ll be driving slower than those who are rigidly sticking to the limit.
My problem is with this complete obsession about the posted limit at the expense reading the road ahead and dealing with the situations. It’s just not a good proper road safety policy.

muckles:

Why reg:

muckles:

No I’m not, because then I’d be judging myself the same way, as I do pretty much stick to the limits and in some situations I’ll be driving slower than those who are rigidly sticking to the limit.
My problem is with this complete obsession about the posted limit at the expense reading the road ahead and dealing with the situations.

Fair enough :slight_smile:

Yes i speed. Quite a lot to be honest.
I`m a grown up. Sometimes i feel like doing 40mph, sometimes i get my toe down a bit.
I dont tell anyone how to drive so dont expect to be told by other drivers.
I can sit for miles behind someone doing 40mph on an a road without self combusting as well.
Live and let live

on xmas i drove from london down to west wales at night, the weather was calm no wind or rain conditions were not freezing and the road was pretty much clear all of the way, very little traffic about, i was in a hired ford focus and most of the journey my speed was about 90mph, i wouldnt do this on a regular basis but i felt i was capable the car was more than capable the conditions were not dangerous and i was alert and in control all of the time, i was still passed by other vehicles as if i was standing still im not bragging about the fact that i drove at this speed but i do think that some people are capable of travelling at speed safely in certain circumstances, had there been a alot of other road user about i would not have been doing those kind of speeds as it is all well to travel fast and feel in control but there is still no accounting for what other road users would do, it did take more than an hour of my whole trip. the problem is too many people think they can drive fast because the car goes that fast, there is a difference in being in control of a fast moving vehicle and speeding!

Would help if the speed limits were realistic, then maybe have some respect for them.

The likes of the A9 and the A1 single carraigeway roads 40mph is not a realistic or safe speed to be traveling at, its creates frustration and causes accidents, hence why more sensible thinking forces such as the Highlands don’t enforce the 40mph speed limit. Rather than blinding follow along like sheep as other forces so to meet their targets.

Even Brunston was quoted as saying a lot of local councils are reducing speed limits, and they are far to slow. I am sure most people have seen speed limits cut in a lots of areas, ok in some areas it is sensible to lower speed limits maybe new housing etc… but in a lot of cases its a blanket thing and no real justification in lowering speed limits.

A71 Kilmarnock it was a 70mph dual carriagway, with no crash barriers, they put in crash barriers then reduce the speed limit to 50mph for no reason. It has one junction on it and is basically a straight line dual carraigeway but for some reason is now 50mph, yet you can go off this high quality dual carriageway and onto a tiny country lane and legally do 60mph.

M8 in Glasgow at the airport, ive not driven it in awhile supposedly goes from 70mph down to 50mph as you approach the airport, then down to 40mph as you go over the viaduct, then back up to 50mph, then up to 70mph. This is in the space of a mile or so. Complete insanity.

The problem with speed limits is that they were set 40 odd years ago when the average car was not even capable of doing 70mph, and even if it could the brakes were so bad you would need the stopping distance of the ark royal.

nowadays, every car is capable of 70mph+ and the stopping distances are half of what they used to be. But we are still stuck with these ancient speed limits.

Why■■?

Kerching!!! more revenue for the govt.