Do you stick to speed limit?

Oh yes, I do speed…not stupidly, but I will set the cruise to 80 and potter along . (in a car obviously, I don’t drive waggons anymore)

I drive at whatever speed I feel safe & in control, that varies from 20mph in fog to well in excess of 100mph on an empty road in good weather, I have used this approach for 25yrs of driving & I’ve never had an accident through excessive speed because not once has my speed been excessive, I may have been going faster than the posted limit, but never to excess.

The thing with speed limits nowadays is nothing to do with safety, it’s all about generating revenue or making the traffic congestion go away by taking licences away, thereby lowering the amount of people on the road.

depends what mood im in , somedays i do, some i dont,

Cops on the A9 are/seem good with lorries. 50mph is a well known speed and they dont seem to bother, but I am sure this is due to the fact of the amount of accidents on that road due frustrated car drivers. The A75 is the same although Police aren’t as nice or sensible, anything over 45mph and your pulled without a doubt. A75 & A77 should really be dual carriageways with them driving into main ports for UK to Ireland.

I myself drive with the flow and/or road conditions. :wink:

The likes of the A9 and the A1 single carraigeway roads 40mph is not a realistic or safe speed to be traveling at, its creates frustration and causes accidents, hence why more sensible thinking forces such as the Highlands don’t enforce the 40mph speed limit. Rather than blinding follow along like sheep as other forces so to meet their targets.

Totally Agree!

Just back from Elgin and the A9 is a ■■■■ nightmare when trucks sit at 40. I have seen numerous near misses as people try to overtake trucks sitting at 40.Our drivers have actually had police cars pull them up and tell them to “put your foot down” as they were causing tailbacks!!

Dunno where you would stand with this if you got caught by a camera van around the next bend though…

How many of you drive at 56 on…say…the A34,A1 (not M) A14 etc ■■

Sometimes i do sometimes i don’t. Depends!

joemaxi:

The likes of the A9 and the A1 single carraigeway roads 40mph is not a realistic or safe speed to be traveling at, its creates frustration and causes accidents, hence why more sensible thinking forces such as the Highlands don’t enforce the 40mph speed limit. Rather than blinding follow along like sheep as other forces so to meet their targets.

Totally Agree!

Just back from Elgin and the A9 is a ■■■■ nightmare when trucks sit at 40. I have seen numerous near misses as people try to overtake trucks sitting at 40.Our drivers have actually had police cars pull them up and tell them to “put your foot down” as they were causing tailbacks!!

Dunno where you would stand with this if you got caught by a camera van around the next bend though…

They would probably do it knowing there was a scamera van round the corner :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Kerching!!!
Any request like that would result in the following counter request.

“put it in writing and sign it and add your number”

when caught around the corner, you have mitigating evidence to go to court with. (I doubt that they would agree to your request though)

the maoster:
Oh for Gods’ sake.
Another bloody post so that people can say “look at me, look how pious I am”.
Well you’re not. If anyone can come on here and say they’ve never once broken the speed limits then they’re a LIAR.
I speed, I speed every time I get in a vehicle. I speed in places where I judge it’s safe to, judgement that has come with over 27 years accident free driving. 40mph on a clear dry summer morning with no traffic up the A9 is ridiculous. I don’t give a rats ■■■ if it’s the law. The law in this particular case is wrong. 30mph past a newsagent near a school is not breaking the limit, but it’s too fast for the conditions.
See, I know when it’s prudent to slow down, but I’m also a grown up so I will use my judgement as to my use (misuse) of speed.
And yes, before you start whining about me killing a family of 50 church goers on their people carrier, I know the law and I know the consequences, so wind your necks in.

Go for it !! You’re on a roll :smiley:

UnionJack:
This subject has been here before I am sure, but my question is in several parts…

Do you stick to speed limits yes/no?

Mostly

What do you hope to gain?

thats probably intended question for someone who does speed? But i gain a bit of pay.

Do you know what it costs(speeding)?

This is probably intended for someone who does speed? Its costs sixty quid and three points.

Do you actually care, after all we are all supposed to be professional drivers, the reason for the question is the amount of drivers on a daily basis I have come past me on A roads, & B roads, in cars buses trucks etc.

I don’t really care as such i just don;t want a fine or end up in a bang.

with new speeding fines due soon, if you get banned from driving, its a retest, all for gaining at most minutes on a days speeding.

Oh one last question for all the flak I am bound to get, If I was driving in excess of the speed limit (and God forbid) hit another vehicle with your relatives/friends in and it could be proved that if i was inside the speed limit it could be avoided, would this change the response of your post.

No.

UnionJack:
that moaster, sounds like your a REAL pro, let me know when your coming this way ill pull over and wait for aftershock to pass, thought i typed constructive replies please, oh well guess i would attract some neg…

Thanks for the other replies

Was gonna start an argument with you there Union Jack, but I read some of your other posts and decided your signature is actually spot on.

I tend to drive to the conditions appertaining at the time, but I do tend to stay mostly within the limits.

I drive according to road and traffic conditions…

On single carraigeway never over 45 mph, hopefully within % margin of speed traps, stupid to hope but hey. Its my license :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Paid hourly and I like my entitlement to earn money driving, can live with the impatient drivers of cars and trucks giving me the bird…

Tin Hat ready for the anti -50mph brigade! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

UnionJack:
Oh one last question for all the flak I am bound to get, If I was driving in excess of the speed limit (and God forbid) hit another vehicle with your relatives/friends in and it could be proved that if i was inside the speed limit it could be avoided, would this change the response of your post.

Why do people always do this, come out with this crap.

Its always a loaded question, if someone hurt or injured my family i would want to do them great harm, the majority of people would feel the same, doesent mean its the right thing to do.

most weeks, no every week if im in the NL,germany or italy i speed im sorry but 80kph on a clear motorway if you can find 1 in holland is daft but i do wear my seat belt and dont use a handheld phone or read a map while driving at 88kph or any other speed for that matter :laughing:
i try not to in the uk but as i dont do any uk work to speak of just the run from pontypool to dover and back again its 80% motorway

UnionJack:
This subject has been here before I am sure, but my question is in several parts…

Do you stick to speed limits yes/no?

What do you hope to gain?

Do you know what it costs(speeding)?

Do you actually care, after all we are all supposed to be professional drivers, the reason for the question is the amount of drivers on a daily basis I have come past me on A roads, & B roads, in cars buses trucks etc.

with new speeding fines due soon, if you get banned from driving, its a retest, all for gaining at most minutes on a days speeding.

Thanks in advance for your replies, please try to be constructive

to have a “CONSTRUCTIVE ARGUEMENT”,you need to see both sides of the coin,something sadly,your original post does not contain.it comes across to me your mind is very firmly set in what you believe,and anybody that replies to say they are speeding,had better be wearing a tin hat.
so no,im not going to say anything constructive.
p.s.,yes i do speed,everyday,more than twice in an hour.
every driver on uk roads has sped,whether in be over the limit by 1mph,or 90mph.what is “safe” speed over the limit?,who judges?.
please dont come blowing the" im perfect trumpet ",when unfortunatley you are not.

Who’s a naughty boy then :laughing:
WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

only time i rigourusly stick to 40mph is when im taking the truck home just for the last 10-20 mile after pulling off the 483 or 55 apart from that it depends how i feel in the uk, Every dual carraigeway is on the limited as is most of the single sections of the A5 or A41 (which are the only 2 a roads i reguarly use) untill i get caught up behind someone

on the continent more or less the same as fast as i comfortabe with and if i know the road or not

these are weather and other conditions permitting

Koop:
How many of you drive at 56 on…say…the A34,A1 (not M) A14 etc ■■

Sometimes i do sometimes i don’t. Depends!

Yes i have to admit i do drive on the limiter (54) on the A1 all the way from Colsterworth up to the M18 :blush: :blush: yes i know its not big nor is it clever but on that road i dont see a reason to sit at 50mph and if i did EVERY TRUCK WOULD PASS ME, PROBABLY EVEN TESCO :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :exclamation: Trucks over take me everyday on A1 and must be doing close to 60mph

Oh i should say apart from the section that is a 50MPH (cant remeber the village) and they have like 8 cameras on that 1 mile stretch of road :open_mouth: :exclamation: :exclamation: BUT EVEN THEN TRUCKS STILL ATTEMPT TO OVER TAKE :imp: :imp: :exclamation: :exclamation: assuiming using me as a shield from the camera!!!

AND FOR THE 2 ARTIC TIPPER TRUCKS PLAYING CAT AND MOUSE ON THE A1 SOUTHBOUND YESTERDAY GOING INTO THE ROAD WORKS AT THE MARKHAM MOOR ROUNDABOUT CLEARLY DOING WAY MORE THAN THE 50MPH LIMIT, THE SECOND LANE IS 6"6’ YOU WERE LUCKY TO BE LET IN…SORRY PUSHED YOUR WAY IN PAST THAT OTHER TRUCK AND THEN PULLED OFF AT THE JUNCTION BEFORE THE ROUNDABOUT, WHY DIDNT YOU JUST WAIT BEHIND ME AND THE TRUCK IN FRONT OF ME :!: :imp: :imp:

</END RANT>

On the A14 i cruise at 52mph all the way though the SPECS then speed up again to 54mph :blush: :blush:
end of the day its up to the driver what they want to do,

But i will never speed if their are cars behind me as one could be plain wrapper i’ve seen trucks pulled before by them on A roads, but if the road it clear, condition are good then yes i may drive at 50mph but if i see cars coming in distance i always slow down, dont bother me as end of they day thats the law!!!

Question -
Does anyone think that safety would be compromised in any way if the limit for trucks was raised to 56 on duals :question:

I don’t.

ROG:
Question -
Does anyone think that safety would be compromised in any way if the limit for trucks was raised to 56 on duals :question:

I don’t.

i dont think so either as many driver do anyway (but many dont :wink: ) that would never happen though… :exclamation: :exclamation: