Do you know about the 6hr rule?

As drivers we are governed by RTD (Road Transport Directive) and not the WTD (Working Time Directive) which came into effect for us on 4 April this year (iirc?).

Were you aware of a new rule with the RTD regarding working time and breaks?

To quote from the official DfT driver’s hours regs website :

The Community Drivers’ Hours regulation require a break of 45 minutes after 4½ hours ■■■■■■■■■■ or continuous driving (or 2 or 3 breaks of no less than 15 minutes which total 45 minutes during or immediately after the driving period). However, the break requirements under the new regulations will affect workers who do a mixture of driving and non-driving work. The rules on breaks will also apply on days when the mobile worker is not travelling.

The new regulations require:

Those mobile workers should not work more than 6 consecutive hours without taking a break.
If working hours total between 6 and 9 hours a day, breaks totalling at least 30 minutes in total are required.
Where working hours total more than 9 hours a day, breaks totalling a minimum of 45 minutes must be taken overall.
Breaks should be of at least 15 minutes duration.
When taking a break, drivers may not perform anything that might be regarded as “other work” during this period. Breaks taken under these regulations may be taken at the workstation (typically this means the driver’s cab - but see glossary for fuller definition of this and other terms).

So in simple terms, if you start work at say 0600 but come 1200 you’ve neither taken a break nor accumulated 4.5hrs driving, you are legally required[/b] to take a 30 minute break if you’re working day will not exceed 9 hours in total or a 45 minute break if you will be or intend to exceed 9 working hours.
From talking to other drivers about this, I haven’t found one who knew about it. Maybe it’s news to you too :question: :bulb:
[due credit to Neil and Trev]

I knew this.

so did i

I sort of knew it, but all it does is prove that this is an ill thought out piece of legislation.

EU Tacho rules and RTD cannot work together in my opinion. At the end of the day, Tacho infringements are the ones that send you to prison :stuck_out_tongue:

I operate on the French system, plenty of breaks, an hour after 3 hours driving works well :smiley: Its what the police in France are looking for, they hate to see anyone driving 4hours 25minutes

malc
can you here the download concert from your place

I did a nine hour shift today but only accumulated 3.55 hrs driving so I only took 30mins!

I’ve known and abused this for a while!!

hitch:
malc
can you here the download concert from your place

Yes, bits of it. I can hear all the little scumbags teararsing around in thier novas and clios with the dustbins for silencers :stuck_out_tongue:

I knew about it, well since a couple of months ago.

Yes I knew about it :slight_smile:

Me too ! :slight_smile:

Rob’s quite right, with one small exception…

As drivers we are governed by RTD (Road Transport Directive) and not the WTD (Working Time Directive)

The RTD is actually part of the WTD, and serves to bring mobile workers “in line” with those who have had the WTD since 1998. It contains rules which are specific to Road Transport ( eg. no opt-out, POAs, etc.) but is still all part of the same wider umbrella of regulations… :wink:

I’ll go away and stop nit-picking now… :blush: :wink: :grimacing:

Is there a fine or something for breaking these rules?

Melchett:
Is there a fine or something for breaking these rules?

Without a doubt :bulb: .

This has been standard practise here in germany a very long time as well but like, all things no one pays too much attention to the rules in geramny WHY because the fines that you recive are that low that no one keeps to any rules,

I knew about it as I usually work job and finish so didn’t bother with a break, not enough driving hours. So when this came in I had to start having breaks. Got to admit my working day is often ten or more hours so the break became welcome.

yep, knew all about it.Had a one day training course on the wtd .

Peter Cherry:
yep, knew all about it.Had a one day training course on the wtd .

At wancanton we got a 30 minute explanation then they made sure we signed something to say we TOTALLY understood it, I havent met 2 drivers yet who have the same opinion or understanding on the rules.

Rob K:
So in simple terms, if you start work at say 0600 but come 1200 you’ve neither taken a break nor accumulated 4.5hrs driving, you are legally required[/b] to take a 30 minute break

[/quote]
Unless of course you start at 06:00 and work and drive until 11:59 and then do 4 hours POA which is not counted as “working time” it could theoretically be a 10 hour (9h 59M) day before you are required to have a break.
Only of course if you started work on the stroke of 9H 59M!!!.

Rob K:
Were you aware of a new rule with the RTD regarding working time and breaks?

Those mobile workers should not work more than 6 consecutive hours without taking a break.
[/quote]
Yep I knew about it Rob, thats why it’s built into the New Hour Guards Software :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
Just like keeping the LGV Drivers Legal Mate :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

jammymutt:

Rob K:
Unless of course you start at 06:00 and work and drive until 11:59 and then do 4 hours POA which is not counted as “working time” it could theoretically be a 10 hour (9h 59M) day before you are required to have a break.

Only of course if you started work on the stroke of 9H 59M!!!.

Not right Jammymutt :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

POA cannot be used and classed as a break, so the 30 mins would have to be started regardless of the duty you were about to carry out unless of course it was a break you were starting.

Remember the OFFICIAL use of POA’s is for unknown delays, thats where you turn up and are then informed about a delay, if you regularly visit a site and always have a 10 min wait, that cannot legally be classed as POA however, if you arrived and was told the delay was 20 mins for example, then you can class 10 mins as POA if the normal delay is only 10 mins.

Crazy and ■■■■ difficult to police but then again, are all truck drivers not law abiding citizens who would never break any rules whatsoever Lol :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: so really no policing is required :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: