Do u pay at council lorry parks?

Reason i want to know,was at Hastings and Worcester lorry
parks recently and a few drivers who were there told me dont
pay as no one checks.
I do pay as knowing my luck a crack down will start that night, also was at
the park in Hayes and several lorries they had being given fixed penalties.
so do u pay or take a chance, i for one have not taken a chance but if u
know some parks are not checked, would be nice to know.

Worcester traffic wardens finish at 8 pm seven days a week,

have taken a gamble at brecon over the last month but not advised anymore with the warmer weather getting here at last.

Exelby services, A19 northbound. It’s only £3 if you pay but I never have.

For those who are employed, I can’t understand for one minute why you do not pay as you’ll get reimbursed. Also as many caffs give you a meal voucher, it means your employer is paying towards your dinner.

I know that if I ran a wagon and my employee got a parking fine for not paying that they’d be paying for it out of their own pocket, even if it was the MSA £250 release fee, and they’d be getting a written warning as well.

Arrived at Corley MSA Sunday 23:50.

Tempted not to pay — but then thought better of it.

Later found out that 14 had been clamped earlier that day — mostly foreign.

When you claim the VAT back and get a meal voucher, its difficult to justify the risk of being clamped - not just the fine/release fee, but lost time and hassle.

shane, lincs:
Reason i want to know,was at Hastings and Worcester lorry
parks recently and a few drivers who were there told me dont
pay as no one checks.

shane they do check at hastings some council bloke coms around late at night 10/11 o clock. so best you put your hand in your pocket
:wink:

jon

I have seen the guy at Newark go round checking lorries on a Sunday so i would guess he goes round the rest of the week too.

also if you aint paying , they have the perfect excuse for shuting them shoving us out in to layby’s :unamused:

jon

i guess there are a couple of ways of looking at it.

Why should you pay as the government impose the driving limits on you?
But then the firm should pay as they#ve sent you there.

Then again if you dont pay, then they’ll just close them on the grounds that the upkeep is too much.

dennisw1:
Then again if you dont pay, then they’ll just close them on the grounds that the upkeep is too much.

if parking revenues drop the bean counters will soon be eyeing them up as development sites :unamused: :unamused:

Conor:
For those who are employed, I can’t understand for one minute why you do not pay as you’ll get reimbursed. Also as many caffs give you a meal voucher, it means your employer is paying towards your dinner.

I know that if I ran a wagon and my employee got a parking fine for not paying that they’d be paying for it out of their own pocket, even if it was the MSA £250 release fee, and they’d be getting a written warning as well.

Thats just the problem though “Conor” , there’s all these unemployed guys getting in trucks and parking up willy nilly thats getting the rest of us a bad name!!!

Not all employers pay parking - there are a few up here who don’t for “cashflow reasons”…which funnily enough is why I don’t pay when I don’t have to. I get the money back, sure, but not the interest on my overdraft that was generated whilst I was waiting. Pay £12-15 out 4 nights a week and it soon adds up.

Lucy:
Not all employers pay parking - Pay £12-15 out 4 nights a week and it soon adds up.

Dammed straight! Thats why I don’t pay parking! I pay £25 per night out, If my drivers want to park in a truckstop/services, its down to them to cough up.

Night-out money is to compensate the driver for the extra costs in being away from home, such as restaurant meals, phone calls etc. No part of it is designed to defray the running cost of your vehicle.

…and somewhere to park the truck while you sleep.

This page will explain what night out money is for Dennis

hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/EIM66130.htm

Tramper:

Lucy:
Not all employers pay parking - Pay £12-15 out 4 nights a week and it soon adds up.

Dammed straight! Thats why I don’t pay parking! I pay £25 per night out, If my drivers want to park in a truckstop/services, its down to them to cough up.

Nice selective quoting. :neutral_face:

Parking is directly tax deductable. What you don’t reimburse the driver you give to the taxman. So no excuse for not coughing up.

Night-out money is to cover your drivers’ PERSONAL[/i] expenses, NOT[/i] to palm off your business costs. Especially when so many container subcontracts stipulate that secure parking must be used as a term of the contract - particularly with high value loads. :imp:
I speak as someone who has run a truck on containers, by the way, so no point trying to convince me you are justified in abusing your drivers this way. Been where you are, mate. It’s uncalled for and out of order.

Afterthought. Before you point out the seemingly obvious - that I am no longer running trucks so therefore must be crap at it - for the record…I ran a good friend’s truck as my own whilst he grew another part of the business, but unfortunately he died suddenly (and young) and his wife and sons decided not to continue that side of things. Otherwise I would still be doing it now.

Incidentally I have just had a further poke around on the Inland Revenue website and have discovered that night-out money is allowable tax free up to £27.55 this year.

Source hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/EIM66110.htm