Do Newbies still want to go Tramping?

I live on my own no commitments here so sound perfect to me

Have done some Euro but not a lot & do have a current passport

Peter Smythe:

20 odd countries

Any normal countries■■? :blush: Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Ha Ha! To be honest they were all a bit odd in their own ways :slight_smile:

Bulgaria and Romania were eye openers lol.

i’m willing to go tramping & love driving wagons; however you will never be rich unless your truck runs on miracle juice, they say money is’nt evrything at our age but it really is our generation are being drained by high interest rates, greedy landlords & insurance companys with lists of excuses to charge us more money.
So for me I think I will save “living the dream” for later on in life & wait for driving when I’m more financially comftable.

Keith

Hey.

Well I’m planning on doing my C+E in March, Tramping was originally what I was looking for.

So you could count me in. :smiley:

Harry just a quick one. you say you would want new drivers so you could train them your way… Just say you did employ someone who had never been tramping or done europe before would you throw them into the deep end of accompany them on their first few trips? Iv been doing europe for 5ish years now and would call it tramping and on my first trip i was thrown in the deep end and found it a huge learning curve and something ill never forget… to this day still asking what the hell to do with regards to paperwork ex. ata carnet and tax etc… its always an interesting experiance

acceptme:
Harry just a quick one. you say you would want new drivers so you could train them your way… Just say you did employ someone who had never been tramping or done europe before would you throw them into the deep end of accompany them on their first few trips? Iv been doing europe for 5ish years now and would call it tramping and on my first trip i was thrown in the deep end and found it a huge learning curve and something ill never forget… to this day still asking what the hell to do with regards to paperwork ex. ata carnet and tax etc… its always an interesting experiance

But you never stop learning & it is good to ask if in doubt or just to know what you are doing is right I know some “old hands” that still ask questions

I agree ange. I ask all the time. Must admit some of the answers you get to the same question is very interesting. But soon cleared up with a quick phone call to an old hand.

a year ago i passed my class 2 then 3 weeks later i passed my class one with peter smyth all ive wanted todo is tramp
ive been tramping a class 2 iveco tanker but now on 3 nights (6 days) due to lack of work so im looking to tramp pretty much anything and the most and only important thing is the money, yes i have a family (wife and son) but at 24 ive worked away since i met my wife and we are both happy with this situation :smiley:

so if anyone knows of any tramping jobs local to mansfield get in touch :smiley: cheers

i think harry they all are bj and the bear mode brother trucker when they start but a year down the line sorts the wheat from the chaff, wait until the wife starts moaning and they finish at 2100 and starting at 6am see how they fancy it then.

once they realise the gaffer isnt going to supply durabrites and a free ticket to truckfest then the novelty wears off.

maybe its just me and my rose tinted glasses have fallen off and got run over in a muddy pot holed trailer park in the driving rain.

jessicas dad:
i think harry they all are bj and the bear mode brother trucker when they start but a year down the line sorts the wheat from the chaff, wait until the wife starts moaning and they finish at 2100 and starting at 6am see how they fancy it then.

once they realise the gaffer isnt going to supply durabrites and a free ticket to truckfest then the novelty wears off.

maybe its just me and my rose tinted glasses have fallen off and got run over in a muddy pot holed trailer park in the driving rain.

I have a partner and 5 kids at home. But at the end of the day they need food and a roof over their heads.

jessicas dad:

Im on my own so no wife ( in fact that would be a funny thing ) no man around not interested

My rose tinted glasses fell off about 17 yr ago when I first got into driving just ask my kids

dar1976:

jessicas dad:

I have a partner and 5 kids at home. But at the end of the day they need food and a roof over their heads.

Well I’m sorry I very much doubt your marriage will last when you start on 4/5 nights out a week leaving the wife at home with 5 kids.

Be honest do you think that’s really acceptable :question:

It will be ok for a while as the money starts coming in but the novelty soon wears off.

dar1976:

jessicas dad:

Yes, no one would argue with that…but…

If they never see you 'cos you’re away all the time - how do they feel about that? In the long term they would need to be VERY understanding to not begin to resent it. I know at least 3 folk that have ended up with a divorce to deal with. When asked, they all reckon tramping played a big part in it.

Each to their own though…As long as the newbies realise that tramping ain’t half as much fun a year in, stuck in a lay-by when it’s -5 degs and the night heater has just packed in… :cry:

Harry Monk:
Just a quick question and this is the best place on the forum for it, because I’m aiming at people who are just starting out, rather than old hands.

What kind of work do you see yourself looking for? Would you be prepared to start on a Sunday afternoon or Monday morning and then be away all week? Would you be prepared to spend weekends away? Or are you aiming to do a shift at work and then go home?

I’m asking because I will probably be putting a few trucks on the road next year and have always said that I would prefer new drivers with no bad habits who could be trained to do the job the way I wanted it to be done, but I am not even sure if anybody wants to do that sort of work any more, being away all week or for longer periods.

If you are just starting out, what are your thoughts on this?

Hello Harry,

I’m sorry that I have missed this thread until now but I feel so strongly about this issue I thought I might chip in.

I have mentioned in another thread that my firm has really benifited from employing ‘new’ drivers.

We have seen that most so called ‘experienced drivers’ are nothing more than time served steering wheel attendants who are more able to think of plausable excuses for their mistakes and why they cannot do this or that job.

Ever since we have started taking on new guys and explaining to them how we like things to be done over their three month probation period (rather than just dishing out another memo, like we used to be famous for). Our damage record has gone down. Loads have stopped being shot (from at least two or three a week) and our customers report how they like to deal with such helpful and capable drivers.

I cannot recommend enough the value of investing in your staff, simply by trusting and taking a little more time over a newer driver than one you would normally recruit. Even I have been surprised on how well the system has worked.

As for Insurance… Our fella has had no problem insuring any of our blokes. One of our lot had just passed his test the week before he came to us.

Just remember Harry,

Wellington said

“There is no such thing as a bad soldier, only bad officers…”

Good luck with your firm,

W

acceptme:

If somebody had only just passed their test I would probably put them on easy UK work for a month or two so they could get up to speed with the truck and the job in familiar surroundings before sending them further afield. Whether I sent them on a long continental trip would depend how they were getting on with the job and how keen they were to do it, as well as what work I was offered. I would always rather do a job which involved two trucks going to the same place for a first run out although it doesn’t always happen like that.

Alex, I fully agree with everything you said there.

what bad habits are we talking about here. i dont think i have any that would affect the way i work, or would affect my employer. i have always worked with my employers to give them their moneys worth and having run my own vehicles any damage would genuinely hurt me personally and is to be avoided at all costs. the last one taken on to be trained as the boss wanted failed miserably because he could not listen and im sure it was nothing to do with being welsh.

hotel magnum:
what bad habits are we talking about here. i dont think i have any that would affect the way i work, or would affect my employer. i have always worked with my employers to give them their moneys worth and having run my own vehicles any damage would genuinely hurt me personally and is to be avoided at all costs. the last one taken on to be trained as the boss wanted failed miserably because he could not listen and im sure it was nothing to do with being welsh.

It’s not all about driving ability…

It’s also about giving the company a good reputation by doing things a set way

exactly my point, every day we are the face of the company and i for one strive to make sure they use us again.

hotel magnum:
exactly my point, every day we are the face of the company and i for one strive to make sure they use us again.

Not arguing… just strengthening the point :wink:

hotel magnum:
what bad habits are we talking about here. i dont think i have any that would affect the way i work, or would affect my employer.

As I and others have said on this forum many times, “The only type of driver I would refuse to employ is myself” :wink: