Digital tacho card problem

i used my new card a few week’s ago to drive one of our new wagon’s with no problem at all,everything worked as it should… Yesterday i took the wagon out and after about 20 minutes it ejected and displayed error, code 50,anyone have any idea what was going on as it would’nt let me use it again afterward’s■■?

Any way of using the advice issued with the card and trying it in another tacho. Obiously if it is the only truck with a digi tacho that goes out the window.

God knows .You can drive a digi vehicle without a card in .You need to take daily printouts and it is only whilst your current card is being replaced .

I’ve had this error myself
Tried my card in another Digi Tacho but still no joy
Had to send off for a replacement card. If you send in your faulty card there is no charge and they do send the replacement to your home address. Contrary to the advice given to me over the phone by the DVLA and at the test centre

There should be a booklet in the cab explaining everthing about it.Usually its in with the manuals.

Tony b

The manuals the workshop guys have stolen . :laughing:

May sound like a silly question but did you have the card in the right way up? Mine did just this when, one day, I put the card in face up. It accepted it at first but after 5 minutes spat it out with an error message. :blush:

David

thank’s for your response, i think it could be the card itself as i popped in to work to try it in one off the other wagon’s yesterday and i’ll speak to the boss today about it… there’s one other thing that is bugging me though and that is the driving time that it rapidly stack’s up!!! is it true what i read that if the tacho detect’s a slight movement then it automatically put’s 2 minute’s on your driving time? got back the other night and it went over but not according to my watch and i am very keen on my driving time an rest!!!

yes thats right al every time you move even if its only a foot it registers 1 or 2 minutes driving.

tonyb…:
There should be a booklet in the cab explaining everthing about it.Usually its in with the manuals.

Tony b

you can buy a replacement manual from seimens http://dtco.siemensvdo.co.uk/system/dtco-1381/index.htm the order formhttp://dtco.siemensvdo.co.uk/NR/exeres/2B2006E4-C640-4C58-950B-FA24ABC52F86.htm can be found on the download page (on the R/H/S) cost around £7 + p&p
I looked at 1 recently in the truck I used, very comprehensive, and much cheaper than the so called digi-training aids you can buy

Cannot help with the ‘Error Code 50’ sounds like the card failed authentication, was there any icons displayed on the Vehicle Unit (VU) display when it spat the card out? They would give a clue as to what was actually wrong, the error code is more specific, but having looked in both the Stoneridge and VDO books I have, I cannot find an error code 50.

We need to be really careful with how digital tachographs record time. The legislation (Council Regulation EEC1360/2002 for anybody who want to go and read it, be warned it’s over 240 pages long :open_mouth: :open_mouth: ) requires the VU to display activity periods (driving, rest, work, availability) to a ressolution of whole minutes. Further, any movement in a minute, will record the whole minute as driving. If you drive (even for a couple of seconds) in minute one and then become stationary for the rest of the minute and the whole of minute two, then move for a couple of seconds in minute three; then all three minutes will be counted as driving. The example below shows how it would work in reality;

Drive for 1 second
stationary for 59 seconds = minute 1 driving

stationary for 60 seconds = because driving in minute either side of this minute, then this is recorded as driving

stationary for 59 seconds
drive for 1 second = minute 3 driving

It’s no good moaning at the manufacturers of the kit, this is how the Law says it will work :angry: :angry:

Paul@midway said:

You can drive a digi vehicle without a card in .You need to take daily printouts and it is only whilst your current card is being replaced .

True, you can drive a digi vehicle without a card in and you do need to take printouts under these circumstances; one at the start of duty and one at the end of duty (you need to take a VU 24hour activity print in both cases) to each printout you must add; your full name, and either your Driving Licence Number or your Driver Card Number and sign the printouts. You then keep the printouts as if they were tacho charts. At the end of the roadside production period (current week plus previous 15 calendar days) you hand the printouts to the employer, who is required to keep them for at least 12 months from when they were made. You can only do this for a maximum of 15 days whilst waiting for your (lost, stolen, damaged, malfunctioning) card to be replaced.

You CANNOT do the above if you haven’t applied for a card in the first place or you are waiting for your first card to arrive. Under these circumstance, no card, no driving (of digi vehicles)

thank’s all and i’ll try and get to the bottom of it this week and let you guy’s know the outcome :confused:

If you ask me it’s an excellent piece of equipment .
My new hobby is taking all the long runs that have too much work on them because planning expect you to be at 56 mph everywhere.
I take these too much work runs and stick to all the limits and totally stuff them up :laughing: It’s great fun phoning up telling them they need to drop the last job off because i will run out of time :laughing: :laughing:
:sunglasses:

when i put my card in monday morn as i was scrolling down error 50 came up & i just went back to normal mode with left arrow & had no probs since.

Geebee, your post is spot on. My card ‘malfunctioned’ on Monday and have gone through your procedure as stated.What a pain in the rear end,more flippin paperwork to look after :smiling_imp: Gimme a non digi truck back :wink:

I went to the dealers Monday morning to pick my new unit up and it was a digi tacho despite the Boss telling me Saturday it wasn’t :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

So I got the one I wanted which is a year old but much better looking :smiley: :smiley:

I am the only guy in the firm without a digi tacho teeheehee … cos I wouldn’t pay for it. The firm are now paying for it :slight_smile: :slight_smile: