Tacho problem

Hi

I got in my truck this morning and put my Digi card in, it went through all the usual process of last worked etc. then after i pressed no on modify entrees it came up with card error. It has done this before and I have just ejected the card and put it back in with everything being fine.

This morning when re-inserting card it comes up with invalid card. I tried my card in another lorry after this and my card loaded but it said last session wasn’t complete and it gave me options to finish session which I did and then it all worked fine. (I couldn’t take this lorry out as it has an engine management issue) I went back to my truck and tried again with it still saying invalid card. I ended up taking one of the old lorries with an analogue tacho so I could get my work done.

I phoned the boss before I left and he said that although mine needs to go in and be checked out, it would have been fine to take and all I needed to do is take a printout at the start of the shift and one at the end and that I am to do this on Monday.

Is this right that I can drive without my card in and just take printouts before and after?

Printout before and after shift, you must report and apply for another within 7 days to DVLA 0300 790 6109

Would it be my card at fault ot the lorry as my card worked ok in a different lorry?

If your card works fine in other tachos it’s obviously the tacho that’s faulty, same procedure applies but with a 15 day limit on getting it fixed.

logic:
Would it be my card at fault ot the lorry as my card worked ok in a different lorry?

Given that the card has failed in one vehicle but worked in another vehicle it’s most likely to be the tachograph, but it can’t do any harm to try giving the card a clean if you haven’t already.

As said, until the tachograph is repaired you should take a vehicle printout at the start of the shift and another vehicle printout at the end of the shift, write your driver card number or driver licence number on them and sign them.

If the tachograph is faulty it should be repaired as soon as possible.

COUNCIL REGULATION (EEC) No 3821/85

Article 16

1. In the event of breakdown or faulty operation of the equipment, the employer shall have it repaired by an approved fitter or workshop, as soon as circumstances permit.

If the vehicle is unable to return to the premises within a period of one week calculated from the day of the breakdown or of the discovery of defective operation, the repair shall be carried out en route.

As Tacho says but I’d do 2 printouts start and finish …one for you one for the boss, If you keep a diary of your hours staple your copy into it cover ur arse.