Digital drivers Tachograph card question

I drive for several companies as a LGV freelance driver, ive used my card about 7times over the last 3yrs, once in the last 28 days. i use the Analog on a regular basis.
I do the odd bit of work for this company i used to work at…I borrowed a vehicle from this place to help move a family member… the vehicle required a drivers card which i used the the way it should (stuck to all the driver rules etc)

A week later the transport manager for the company went mad, said i should have used a ‘analog tachograph’ vehicle instead, he said, because ive drove a digi card vehicle ive caused a problem with his driver record keeping!
He said,today when he down loaded my 28 day card details, all the other vehicles ive driven for other company vehicles have popped up causing it to ‘mess up his system’.
Cant you just filter out the irelevant one’s out?

If this is the case, how would he get on if a Driver agency sent a driver to do a day’s work, they work for meby a dozen different companies in a couple of months.

Is he over reacting, what’s the problem? i just dont think he wanted me to borrow the vehicle in the first place… as a friend of the actual company owner, he kindly said i could.

Does this cause the massive problem as he makes out.

Tell him to pipe down, STFU and have a solero.

Your card will hold an average of 28 days info, not strictly 28 days as its the amount of info, if you do town multi dropping stop start forward reverse the card will hold less info that you trawling the motorways.

As your card should have been read and recorded previously then yes he is over reacting, he will get a record of your card being in his machine and the info from that but nowt to worry about from either party.

NO!

It has to be a complete record, not a selective record to suit him.

Digital readers only read & record the data, they cannot delete it from the card

Your card will have anything up to a years data on it. It gets overwritten when it is full

B1 GGK:
Your card will hold an average of 28 days info, not strictly 28 days…

Not quite. It will hold a minimum of 28 days rather than an average. In reality, as Wheel Nut says it will hold anything up to about a year. A bit less if you have a lot of mode changes each shift, such as on multi-drop, but it will still have several months on it.

It causes no problems at all!

Unless he is using the data to compile his timesheets and payslips etc from? which is a backward way of doing it and not your problem at all. That card NEEDS to record all of your data on there, what’s he going to do when we get to the point where all vehicles are Digi? he needs to get a grip!

Certainly don’t let it bother you mate. Its your card and your record, he is required to download everything thats on there and store it, if it causes him problems then thats his own use of the data thats messing him around, nothing you’ve done wrong at all.

Tell him to ■■■■ on it, then show him the door.

Cheers everyone, i thought id stuck to the rules ok, cause ive not used it much i want sure.
Just one more question tho-

Cause i don’t actualy work for any one company this transport man said i have to have my Card down loaded every 28 days weather ive used it or not…is this right, if so who should do that? or do i just have it down loaded every time i use it with a company i drive for? not very practicable tho if you dont see them after a one off driving shif. would i have to pop back with in 28days and hand em my card?

sponge:
Cheers everyone, i thought id stuck to the rules ok, cause ive not used it much i want sure.
Just one more question tho-

Cause i don’t actualy work for any one company this transport man said i have to have my Card down loaded every 28 days weather ive used it or not…is this right, if so who should do that? or do i just have it down loaded every time i use it with a company i drive for? not very practicable tho if you dont see them after a one off driving shif. would i have to pop back with in 28days and hand em my card?

It is your responsibility to make it available to every company who you drive for, if they choose not to download it then it’s their problem. If you finish a shift and there is no one about then you will have to go back and offer your card at another time.

Each company has 28 days to download the card and the 28 day download period begins either on the first day you drive for a new company or the first day you drive for a company after they last download it, if you haven’t used it at all since every one you worked for last download it then there is no download period in force.

So, in summary, the bloke was talking ■■■■■■■■ saying it had to be downloaded every 28 days whether you had used it or not and he is a Grade A Trumpet.

Surely an employer can ask you to download your card even if you haven’t used it? How else can he be sure you didn’t?

If I employ a driver on a truck with analogue tachos but he could have used his card (for me or anyone else) then surely I should dl it… Shouldn’t I?

I believe that the responsibility is that of the driver to inform the employer of any other work they have done.
If the driver says they haven’t driven then I imagine that would cover due diligence for the sake of their backsides.

I would be very surprised if anyones contract, agency, freelance or employee, didn’t say its the drivers responsibility to inform the company of any other work carried out.

Scarab:
I believe that the responsibility is that of the driver to inform the employer of any other work they have done.
If the driver says they haven’t driven then I imagine that would cover due diligence for the sake of their backsides.

I would be very surprised if anyones contract, agency, freelance or employee, didn’t say its the drivers responsibility to inform the company of any other work carried out.

Maybe morally but the law states that the card must be downloaded at least every 28 days, all the driver can do is offer the card to the clerk at the window. Unless you have got driver terminals, but the legal bit stays with the operator of the vehicle, not the agency.

Scarab:

i’m freelance/self employed & most places i go to work at i have to sign a form saying that i have had all relevant rest periods & am legally allowed to work.this covers the firm.
i don’t always get chance to download my digi card if it’s been used but it doesn’t matter as the info is downloaded form the head unit anyway,so the firm still have a record of who drove that vehicle.if i don’t download my card it’s no major issue as the data is still available the the firm i’ve driven for.

Santa:
Surely an employer can ask you to download your card even if you haven’t used it? How else can he be sure you didn’t?

If I employ a driver on a truck with analogue tachos but he could have used his card (for me or anyone else) then surely I should dl it… Shouldn’t I?

Were on anologue and we still get our card d/l’d once a week, I dunno if we have to or not but I presume it covers everyones backside.

To the OP,
Try and get it d/l’d at the end of each shift, then at least your covered and not have to go back and get it done at a later date, the old place I was at were an arse for chasing up agency drivers who had done a shift and not a d/l, because it left a gap in the records they would go potty trying to get the agency driver back just to d/l their card, bit of a blag if your on another job the other side of town.

jrl driver:
i don’t always get chance to download my digi card if it’s been used but it doesn’t matter as the info is downloaded form the head unit anyway,

Not true, it does matter as the company must download from both the card and the VU and just downloading from one does not meet teh requirements of teh regulations.

If you are offering it for download and they are not doing so it isn’t your problem but it is the company’s. If you are not offering it for download it could be a problem for you as you are committing an offence. A Level4 offence which carries a maximum fine of £2500.