Digi tachos[ and some laughed at us asking questions]

boss showed us how to use them as hed been on course no problems seemed easy enough , went to pick up five rigids on hire and used the digis comming back o.k. i then went back to my normal ano one on the monday and the five rigid drivers used the new ones. all honky dorry, boss saying what was all the fuss about , us thinking what was all the fuss about.
untill he says have you read them infringements, he looked really flustered,now as i havent had a infringement for about five months and he said infringements i was getting a bit worried
now started to read the sheet on the top and the word that struck me straight away was SABOTAGE, on five different days, i must of read it about ten times then realist it wasnt my sheet it was a rigid drivers, i then pointed this out to boss who said i know its not yours but do you know whats going on, ive got three drivers with loads of infringments for sabotaging there digi tachos :open_mouth: , me no i only drove one back when we picked them up i havent got a clue[ i know ive got a bit of a dodgy past but i wouldnt have a clue how to fiddle one yet :laughing:
it turned out to be 3 drivers with infringements for sabotage, the investigation about what was happening started with earnest
drivers didnt know said they were just using as shown[ likely story] :laughing:
anyway after investigating they realised it was only on two of the five trucks, other three they were having no problems. they then talked to hire people to see if they knew what was going on and after the hirers checked up they found out when those two trucks had been p.d .i , d the digis had been taken out and just put back in. but in the process had broke some codes, seals or something
the two trucks are going back to have the digis re-fitted with new codes , seals or something
it just makes you wonder if vosa had stopped these drivers before theyd realised the problem and done a check what it would of said and what they would have done :question:

:laughing: I would like to have seen your bosses face when he first saw that.

I could be wrong about this m8 but I think you’ll find that if you’re boss uses the company card to read all the data in the digital taco itself there will probably be some indication of when the tacos first became faulty, as I understand it …it records every time the taco is opened or disconnected so probably no bother with Vosa … having said that I wouldn’t want to be the one to check if this is correct or not :wink:

yes it was a picture, i think the one that threw him was the word SABOTAGE,
its not a word ive ever seen on a infringement sheet or would want to see, i did ask the 2nd in command why something hadnt come up on the actual tacho when they used it but he said wasnt sure if it had or if they would have taken any notice. :unamused:[ typical multi droppers no time to wipe there backsides , let alone look at what a tachos tellin them :laughing: . thank god ive still got my old erf with a ano tacho :smiley:

Digi tachos are always throwing up , sabotage, internal fault, card not recognised, you are a mafia hit man. Just ignore it and carry on with shift, don’t see why it should immobilise a wagon just because this new fangled technology is fragile.

Funnily enough, the secondhand truck market is picking up again… albeit slowly, but I think it may be due to people steering away from new vehicles with digital tachographs, and all the problems they are throwing up.

LOL, sounds like the early 90’s when compulsory speed limiters came in. All of a sudden people were interested in those pre 1988 112 Scannies.

we got 4 new actroses from pentagon with digi tachs fitted they were wired up wrong they wont light up the display so the night drivers cant see them but on the plus side wen you let it go down hill for more than 30seconds it gave an amber warning on dash saying speed limit exeeded even though it dont go over 60mph but wen wired corrrectly it flashes red warnings dunno wot this records on card will have to wait for tm or vosa checks out cards if the speed limit is 60mph why should i hold it to 56mph downhill keep it under 60 and i am obeying the law :laughing: :laughing:

gazwrf said;

on the plus side wen you let it go down hill for more than 30seconds it gave an amber warning on dash saying speed limit exeeded even though it dont go over 60mph but wen wired corrrectly it flashes red warnings dunno wot this records on card will have to wait for tm or vosa checks out cards if the speed limit is 60mph why should i hold it to 56mph downhill keep it under 60 and i am obeying the law

The amber light on the dash is the mandatory warning required to alert the driver to a ‘problem.’ It’s supposed to come on for all events and faults recorded by the digital tacho and alert the driver to something not being ‘quite right.’ The vehicle units as part of their calibration have the set speed for the speedlimiter programmed into them, in most cases this will be 85 km/h. As vehicles are allowed to get to 90 km/h then it is 90 that goes into the VU data memory as the ‘set speed.’ If you exceed the set speed for a period of one minute (or more) the vehicle unit will record an ‘overspeed’ event, both on the driver card and the VU internal memory. What it actually records is; maximum speed, average speed during the time period, date and time of the event and event duration. For good measure it also records the driver card number. Many of these events aren’t much to worry about, as you rightly said the speed limit on a Motorway is 60 mph or 96 km/h, however many countries in Europe have lower speed limits for LGVs. Whilst you cannot be ‘done’ in the UK solely on tacho evidence, the same is not true abroad, trust me :smiley: :smiley:. VOSA will be able to ‘see’ the ‘overspeed’ events on you card and the VU and all the other events and faults recorded :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
Not sure what the red warning lights are all about cos Annex 1B says they’ll be amber, perhaps the wiring still isn’t quite correct or there’s a ghost in the machine