digi printouts

are you required to do a print out at the end of every shift?? just curious as a driver i was speaking to today was adamant you need to carry printouts for every day for the previous 15 days

There is no legal requirement to do, or carry a daily print out.

niel wht about if you have had togo
over time due to no parking or holdup
say like the götthard blocked and you
have to wait on the motoraway till
allowed to continue,to a safe parking area
etc etc, then you need to do a printout
so you canwrite and record your reason why
surely??

Yes Pete, but under normal circumstances there is no requirement to do a print out every day.

We have been told to carry 15 days print outs and the current week by our company, surely Vospa can download themselfs at the roadside if they need too.

Taken from the “RHA Members Briefing Paper”

“All drivers, irrespective of what type of recording equipment
they are using, shall make available, on request by an
authorised inspecting officer, records sheets for the current
week and the previous 15 days.”

tachograph:

Those records will be recorded in the card so no need for print outs every day.

If you needed print out every day then they wouldnt need the card would they?.

P.S. dont listen to the F.T.A, R.H.A or even your own company just do what the law of the land wants .

I get a continual infringement from the F.T.A. because i write SDR or EDR with more than a 15 minute gap the law doesnt require me to do this but the FTA does a total waste of time, but when you asak for a list of their dos and dont they just shrug their shoulders.

I agree with jammymutt. All this information is stored on the driver’s card, so there is no need to do a daily printout.

The driver’s card should store at least the last 28 days of activity and VOSA say you should download the records every 3 weeks. I have a card reader on my computer and a bit of nice software that downloads the data and stores it. I can also print out a weekly summary.

Much easier than print outs every day. If your company says you need to do print outs every day it’s because they haven’t got their act together when it comes to digitachs!

the only time i will do a print out is if im not in the same truck each day of the week.

this week i’ve driven a analogue tacho truck for four days and a digital truck on the thursday. the only reason i do this is so i know how many charts i have to hand in at the end of my two weeks.

gets blooming confusing when your in and out of a digital one every other day of the week to keep a grasp on your tacho cards. :unamused: .

from what ive read in truck magazines unless your driving a tipper or a 7.5 ton horsebox vosa wont stop you anyway :open_mouth:

jon

As the legislation was originally written, you needed to produce printouts to an Examiner or the Police if you had been driving a digitally equipped vehicle during the production period (at that time current week and last day of proceeding week), if you were driving an analogue equipped vehicle when stopped. VOSA took the view that you didn’t need to take a daily printout unless there was a fault with your card or it was lost / stolen, as the info they wanted was held on your drivers card and they have card readers.
In April this year the legislation changed; the production period became; the current week and 15 calendar days prior to the current week. The bit about producing printouts for digital days when you got stopped in an analogue vehicle got scrubbed. So the current production requirements are;

stopped driving a Digital vehicle;

• drivers card
  • any tacho charts used during the production period
  • any printouts taken during production period because drivers card was lost, stolen, damaged, destroyed etc, etc.

stopped driving an Analogue vehicle;

• drivers card, if you have one (the VOSA / Police can check to see if one issued)
  • tacho charts used during the production period
  • any printouts taken during production period for reasons given above

Remember that on 01/01/2008 the production period changes to the current day and the previous 28 calendar days.

If you take printouts ‘cos your card is lost / stolen etc you must take two vehicle 24 hour printout, one at the start of your shift and one at the end. On each printout you must write your full name, and you driver licence number or your driver card number and sign the printout.
If you run over hours, for example due to an accident on the motorway, you would have to take a printout and write on it the reasons for the departure from the Regulations.
All printouts need to be kept by the driver during the production period, then stored at the Operators’ for 1 year after they were made.

jammymutt:

They will also be recorded within the vehicle unit. I can’t remember the time period but it is in the region of months rather than weeks.

Even should someone seek to erase the record from the card, or conveniently ‘lose’ it, then an activity history can be rebuilt by reference to the vehicles which they have been using.

Yes, the vehicle unit is designed to store at least 12 months data, but you’re supposed to download and store it every three months. I’ve just ordered a download tool called a “Digidown” from the same place (Smartcard Focus) I bought my card reader and download software to do this. The software I have reads the data from this tool and stores it in a file ( I don’t think you have to look at it, just store it in case the authorities want to see it).

You do still need to download driver’s card data because you may have driven another truck, so the vehicle unit won’t know this.

Erger said;

The software I have reads the data from this tool and stores it in a file ( I don’t think you have to look at it, just store it in case the authorities want to see it).

As a driver there is no need to download a vehicle unit (VU), infact you can’t, unless you have a Company Card. As an owner driver or an operator, you do need to download the VU using whatever ‘downloading tool’ you have and your Company Card. As said, you need to store the data (securely) for one year from when the record was made. Strictly speaking, an operator does need to check vehicle data. If drivers are using a vehicle without drivers cards, then the VU, will record this is happening. Operators who do not check for this and take action to prevent it from reoccurring could well find themselves facing charges of permitting.

jammymutt:

tachograph:

If you needed print out every day then they wouldnt need the card would they?.

P.S. dont listen to the F.T.A, R.H.A or even your own company just do what the law of the land wants .

I get a continual infringement from the F.T.A. because i write SDR or EDR with more than a 15 minute gap the law doesnt require me to do this but the FTA does a total waste of time, but when you asak for a list of their dos and dont they just shrug their shoulders.

jammy.Your lot sounds like ours.Are B&Q exel?

We write on the face of our tachos and its not a legal requirement.
We do printouts to photocopy on our time sheets.But after that we can bin them,as all the info is on the card and you can still get aprintout for your friendly vosa man at the roadside within the last 28 days.

Tony b.

the LAW says one thing and many companies invent their own laws
Argos for instance max duty 12 hours no reduced break at home (fine by me)
lots of companies sod eod edr sdr etc

we could go on forever