Digi card print out ruling

Trying to find the relevant rule about digi print outs, and whether you have to do one daily, but can’t seem to find it.

Anyone oblige?

Ta muchos.

Ken.

no requirement to do a print out… unless ur card is faulty in which case you print out veh data at the start and end of shift then do a manual trace on the back of one of the printouts and fill in all lines on both ie name and card number along wth reason…better to do 2 prints at start and finish one for u and one for company.
only other reason to do a print out is if you fluff up on break ie incorrect mode but do it at the time of fluff up as it’ll be better showing the times but dont make a habit of it

downloads.tachomaster.net/docs/D … ograph.pdf

Thanks guys, but what I’m after is the VOSA ruling as to whether you HAVE to print out or not at the end of every shift with your card in.

Ken.

Quinny:
Thanks guys, but what I’m after is the VOSA ruling as to whether you HAVE to print out or not at the end of every shift with your card in.

Ken.

You won’t find a VOSA ruling on the issue because there isn’t one, nor will you find any regulation that requires one because in normal circumstances the regulations don’t call for a printout so you don’t need to do one.

Ask how many people have had their records checked by VOSA without having done printouts, then you’ll see that VOSA don’t require printouts unless there’s a reason to do a manual entry on one such as faulty card/tachograph, lost card, deviation from regulations under article 12.

You’re looking for something that doesn’t exist :wink:

The only rule I was aware of was that you should be able to print off for Mr Plod or Mr Vosa if they ask for it.
I print out for my own records, read it when I get home then put it on a spread sheet. That way I know exactly when my breaks, driving time, other work & POA are at. When you get to my age it’s easy to forget what time you finished the night before or the last 9 hour break you had.
It’s easy if your start & finishing times are usually around the same time every day but our times vary from 4am ish to 7am & finishing times could be anytime !

Quinny:

Ken.

Why?

tachograph:

Quinny:

Ken.

You won’t find a VOSA ruling on the issue because there isn’t one, nor will you find any regulation that requires one because in normal circumstances the regulations don’t call for a printout so you don’t need to do one.

Ask how many people have had their records checked by VOSA without having done printouts, then you’ll see that VOSA don’t require printouts unless there’s a reason to do a manual entry on one such as faulty card/tachograph, lost card, deviation from regulations under article 12.

What would they say if you go over and havnt done a printout?

Saaamon:

tachograph:

Quinny:

Ken.

I imagine it would depend on how far over your hours you were and what excuses you could think up quickly :wink:

Saaamon:

tachograph:

Quinny:

Ken.

keep a diary of any hours irregularities. if you don’t keep a record then you don’t give a [zb] in the eyes of vosa.
printouts get lost or fade. diaries don’t get lost as easy.
that’s what i do, and it’s accepted.

tachograph:

Saaamon:

tachograph:

Quinny:

Ken.

I imagine it would depend on how far over your hours you were and what excuses you could think up quickly :wink:

It doesnt happen now but when i’ve gone over in the past there has never been a good enough excuse that they’d accept, so thats why i never bothered.

Agency are requesting that we do a daily print out, and like analogue tachos, send them in after 28 days because some of the drivers have not downloaded their cards at the customer after a shift, therefore there is no record for the customer.

I say that they are tarring all drivers with the same brush, and that they should be having a word with those that don’t.

I want to prove that it’s not law to carry a printout, and that as has been said, only VOSA and Plod can request you do so hence the request for a definitive answer.

Ken.

Quinny:
Agency are requesting that we do a daily print out, and like analogue tachos, send them in after 28 days because some of the drivers have not downloaded their cards at the customer after a shift, therefore there is no record for the customer.

I say that they are tarring all drivers with the same brush, and that they should be having a word with those that don’t.

I want to prove that it’s not law to carry a printout, and that as has been said, only VOSA and Plod can request you do so hence the request for a definitive answer.

Ken.

Well I suppose anyone can ask you for a printout, the law doesn’t come into it.

I worked at one place where it’s company policy for drivers to hand in a printout at the end of the shift at the same time that they get their cards downloaded, you figure that one out :laughing:

What I don’t understand is why they would want them handed in after 28 days :confused:

The operator has a legal obligation to download the data from the driver card no later than (in the case of regular drivers) 28 days from the last download, handing in printouts will not excuse them from this legal liability, a printout is not the same as downloading the card nor is it a legal alternative.

As you say the company should be ensuring that drivers cards are downloaded not coming up with illegal alternatives, though it sounds like it’s just another agency idiot who doesn’t understand the regulations that’s coming up with this nonsense.

In short then in normal circumstances there is no law requiring drivers to make or carry printouts but nor is there any law that forbids a company or agency requesting you to do so, there is however a law that makes transport operators legally obliged to download the data from the driver card every 28 days, an operator should be downloading the driver card at the end of every shift for temporary drivers who may not go back to the said company.

[u]The Passenger and Goods Vehicles (Recording Equipment) (Downloading and Retention of Data) Regulations 2008[/u]

Quinny:
because some of the drivers have not downloaded their cards at the customer after a shift,
therefore there is no record for the customer.

Yes there is a record !!

The customer' data is held on the data recorder of the digi unit in every vehicle. The customer’ just needs to place their “Company digital card” into head unit and download.
(Albeit, it would be easier if agency driver downloads card at end of shift and also every 28 days onto an operators facility.)

Digital card types :
Driver cards are used by drivers to record driving information.
Company cards are used by operators to retrieve data regarding their employees from the tachograph head. It also allows a company to lock information so that it cannot be subsequently by obtained by another operator.

The only reason to do a “print out”, is when there is a deviation from the standard `user protocol '.

I would envisage that the “Customer” and the “Agency” just wish to ensure that the tallies match up accordingly without too much hassle. :unamused:
You wouldnt want to be underpaid for your hours worked would you ? :wink:
To comply legally, the drivers card needs to be downloaded every 28 days ,period.
If there was a need to do a print out every shift , then there would be no need for micro-chip digi cards and we would still all be using anologue charts.
Think of the trees , …:laughing:

Excellent replies and the information will be used as needed.

And yes, I am thinking of the trees, and the kids.

Ken.

limeyphil:
keep a diary of any hours irregularities. if you don’t keep a record then you don’t give a [zb] in the eyes of vosa.
printouts get lost or fade. diaries don’t get lost as easy.
that’s what i do, and it’s accepted.

+1

tachograph:
there is however a law that makes transport operators legally obliged to download the data from the driver card every 28 days, an operator should be downloading the driver card at the end of every shift for temporary drivers who may not go back to the said company.

[u]The Passenger and Goods Vehicles (Recording Equipment) (Downloading and Retention of Data) Regulations 2008[/u]

If the company isn’t interested in downloading your card because you’re “just agency” who gets in trouble, is it them or does the driver also incur a penalty? Need to know this, cheers tachograph.

COOKiEEES!!:
If the company isn’t interested in downloading your card because you’re “just agency” who gets in trouble, is it them or does the driver also incur a penalty? Need to know this, cheers tachograph.

The driver has a responsibility to make the driver card available for downloading but that’s all the responsibility you have as far as card downloading is concerned.

If the card is made available for download and for any reason the operator doesn’t download the data from the drivers card it’s their problem and their problem alone, if they could show that you stopped them from downloading the card by refusing to let them have it or whatever then you could be fined but as long as you make the card available for download you’ve met your legal responsibility.

Lets face it you can’t force a company to download the card data can you :wink:

A print-out every day? Jesus H Christ, have you seen the price of that paper? :open_mouth:

If I ever run over I just make a note of it in my diary and on my analysis sheet.

tachograph:

Quinny:

Ken.

Well I suppose anyone can ask you for a printout, the law doesn’t come into it.

I worked at one place where it’s company policy for drivers to hand in a printout at the end of the shift at the same time that they get their cards downloaded, you figure that one out :laughing:

What I don’t understand is why they would want them handed in after 28 days :confused:

The operator has a legal obligation to download the data from the driver card no later than (in the case of regular drivers) 28 days from the last download, handing in printouts will not excuse them from this legal liability, a printout is not the same as downloading the card nor is it a legal alternative.

As you say the company should be ensuring that drivers cards are downloaded not coming up with illegal alternatives, though it sounds like it’s just another agency idiot who doesn’t understand the regulations that’s coming up with this nonsense.

In short then in normal circumstances there is no law requiring drivers to make or carry printouts but nor is there any law that forbids a company or agency requesting you to do so, there is however a law that makes transport operators legally obliged to download the data from the driver card every 28 days, an operator should be downloading the driver card at the end of every shift for temporary drivers who may not go back to the said company.

Started back Agency with a company and they said they have never had a card reader, so it was surprising to read that.

There is another Office but its ten miles up the road and all they wanted was a printout every day at this one.

Worked there the last 6 out of 8 weeks.

aranger:
Started back Agency with a company and they said they have never had a card reader, so it was surprising to read that.

There is another Office but its ten miles up the road and all they wanted was a printout every day at this one.

Let’s hope they don’t come on to VOSA’s radar then…