Did anyone drive a Mercedes "Bullnose"?

Hi Terry, My Dad drove a Merc bullnose in the late 60s early 70s for a Hull firm called Rispins of Hull, I was only very small but remember the truck being a dark green colour, thanks and best wishes, Ian.

not my regular motor but I did take this one out a couple of times,1418 bullnose a Keith Hudson print

image.jpglen green had two bullnose 1418 but preferred this one, another Keith Hudson print

Jakdaw:

theres already a site for these if you look its a few pages long
John

3300John:

Jakdaw:

John

Perhaps I should have put Ooops wrong thread instead.

Jakdaw:

3300John:

Jakdaw:

John

Now come on jakdaw get your act together you will be blameing
your age next “eh”;
GUESTY44 :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Guesty44:

Jakdaw:

3300John:

Jakdaw:

John

your age next “eh”;

Tell me about it. :laughing:

Guesty44:

Jakdaw:

3300John:

Jakdaw:

John

your age next “eh”;

Hey, Nice that Belgian pic must be an L2624. Fuelwasters and powerless machines but indestructible.
But the 6 in line was faster and needed less fuel as the V8 256hp.
Good machine as you had time and arrive today or tomorrow.

Eric,

There you go Harry remember this fella.

There are lots of topics on here regarding the Scania v Volvo debate and rightly so-both totally excellent lorries. Arguably you could say these two Swedes are the best on the road-but are Mercs a close runner up in third?? My abiding memories, as a child of the 1970’s are of my Dads “Bullnose” Merc 14-18 he had for a few years on J.W.Q. Transport at the Reading depot.I always and still do think that proportionately, they just look good. I remember going with my Dad on many occasions, no power steering so swines to reverse, mostly metal inside so quite noisy and they are the first lorry I can remember with three windscreen wipers.The first question is, were they actually called “Bullnoses” or was that just an unofficial nickname for them?? J.W.Q. had a few of these motors and on a spot check in London one was found to be over length with a 40’ trailer so they had to order some 38’ ones instead! The first pic you can see this Bullnose wad a D plate so puts it to the 64-65 era and was basically B.R.S. cherry red and the second was a J plate and in J.W.Q.s later colours of white with a red stripe round the middle. Interestingly enough these motors must be still made by Mercedes as I’ve still seen them all over the place Including Greece, Turkey and Egypt. Over to you now chaps any info…?

Before my time, but I’ve been in the passenger seat of one, my old man had one on John Knights out of Silvertown in the early 70s, don’t remember much about it, well actually I don’t remember anything at all, except that they had one :laughing: